all posts post new thread

Old Forum 30/30 Squat Challenge

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kb dan

Level 3 Valued Member
So I recently came across on Facebook the "30/30 Squat Challenge" started by Ido Portal (https://www.facebook.com/groups/30squat/) . I never usually pay attention to things like this shared on my feed but I thought, what the hell. So I clicked on it and checked it out. Being that I have always liked Goblet Squats, I figured I would give it a go.

3 days into it now and I feel like it's benefiting my kettlebell work. My swings feel smoother in the hips and my get ups also feel less tight. I really feel like it's an indication that I wasn't stretching enough beforehand previously.

Either way, I think this 30 days of squatting for 30 mins is a good thing. Is anyone else here taking part in this and even if not, what are your thoughts? Pavel, curious on your thoughts as well. Thanks.

Hello Daniel Lackey,

I don't have Facebook so I can't see the link but I think I know what you refer to. I actually picked up sitting in the squat position by Ido a while back when I had a smallish injury in my groin which kept me from doing heavy back squats. I started sitting in the squat several times a day and it helped tremendously.

I'm a believer since then and do this every day now, not counting or anything, just doing it every now and then. I also teach my clients to squat sit. To see something so incredibly simple make such a dramatic difference is very cool.

... At least I assume this is what you're referring to ;)

Off topic: how did you manage to change your avatar? I was looking for it but couldn't find a way.

Thanks.

Pavel, the challenge from Ido Portal: for the next 30 days, spend 30 minutes per day total in a A2G squat, good form of course.  It does not need to be continuous, just total up to 30 min/day.

Best,
Chris

Pavel, what ctuozzolo described is pretty much it. Here is a public internet link that also describes it. http://richardshealthmusings.com/ido-portals-3030-squat-challenge/

And here is a link to the "official" image from the Facebook group http://i2.wp.com/richardshealthmusings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/30-Day-Squat-Challenge.jpg

The one issue I think I have with the challenge is it says it is a “Resting” position, where the back is in flexion. Back is always neutral in goblet squats and everything we do in SFG standards

Daniel, for strength neutral is good, but this is focusing on opening up the hips, improving range of motion and increasing flexibility, with no load. Maintaining a neutral spine requires energy, this is supposed to be passive.

That makes a lot of sense Andy, thanks. My hips are definitely opening up and range of motion is improving too, as you stated

I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the 30 days you were able to squat ATG with a neutral spine. Thanks for the link, I think I'll try it out.

Ido Portal's squat routine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbozu0DPcYI&feature=youtu.be

On day 5 of challenge but started out with Sciatica in butt and calf, my ART therapist told me he thought this would help. Anyone else dealt with sciatica, I am a runner and this is driving me crazy.

I would be interested in hearing about your results.  My own feelings are that 30 minutes is excessive.  The same results could probably be had in about 5 to 10 minutes per day.  As Pavel says in Simple and Sinister.  Sometimes more is not better, it is just more.

Tomorrow will be day 7 for me, it is a lot easier now and soreness is better. I check my email, and squat , catch a few commercials , squat some at work, I get in my 30 mins saving last few minutes before bedtime.i am still dealing with my sciatica but it is helping. I know when my running gets back up to speed it will be better because my hips ,back and thighs will be more flexible.keep it up it all makes good sense .

Thanks, Daniel.

It is a worthwhile goal, but most westerners should not jump into 30min a day from the get go.  Start slow—and with the goblet squat.

Totally agree, Chief. 30 minutes is quite excessive for anyone to start off with. I've been piecing it here and there with 5-7 minute sessions and that seems to work well for me. Haven't been using a kettlebell with it to goblet squat but perhaps I should (and curl it while down)

Daniel, the GSQ, in addition to being a strength exercise, is a regression for the SQ movement pattern.  It is a lot easier to squat with a counterbalance.

Slightly off topic but related... since reading S&S I've been doing 5 goblet squats every evening with 8kg bell (haven't yet started S&S), I am finding this to be really beneficial, seems to really unwind the stress from my back after sitting at desk all day and 2 hours daily train commute. On my training days, I do 5 as warmup and 5 for cool down and I sit for a while in the squat. The challenge sounds good, I might try it out.

On day 5 of challenge but started out with Sciatica in butt and calf, my ART therapist told me he thought this would help. Anyone else dealt with sciatica, I am a runner and this is driving me crazy.

Sherry, read up on the kettlebell windmill, get your doctor's permission to try it, then find an SFG Level II to teach it to you.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom