all posts post new thread

Old Forum 30+ Pull Up Help

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

stephenlthorn

First Post
Hello,

I am trying to find a program to successfully reach 30+ pull ups. I have been able to get 27 and have peaked here for a few years. In a recent post I just read, Pavel briefly mentioned specific static endurance training, but did not go into any detail about how to conduct it. Anyone know where to get this information?

Thanks for the help!

-Stephen

Stephen, such training is very complex.  If you know someone fluent in Russian, track down the book on pullups by Pavel Kozhurkin.

Pavel,

Found some of his stuff off a Russian fitness forum and being a USMC officer, have little access to people who are fluent in anything other than Spanish. I am however using google translate to read everything. Thanks for the help!

-Stephen

At the Naval Academy we had lots of Midshipmen doing 30+ pullups.  Most got there with a simple program like Pavel's fighter pullup program, or some similar progression.  Some found that the key was to get really strong with weighted pullups first, then spend 8-10 weeks unloaded working on getting their numbers up.  For example, when training for the SEAL Screener, some Midshipmen would focus on pull up strength, keeping their reps in the 3-12 range by adding weight, for most of the year.  Then 8-10 weeks prior to the screener, they would eliminate the weight and work on pullup numbers rather than increasing weight (using fighter pullup or something similar).   That approach worked really well at getting some unstuck.

Sir,

Good advice, I'll give it a shot. Did'nt know if I needed to train forearms and/or other supporting muscles that one might use in a pull up.

-Stephen

Stephen, Mike's solution is a good one without getting too geeky.

I am afraid the Google translator will seize up translating that book ;]

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom