all posts post new thread

Old Forum 40 Day program....lifting too heavy??

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jbroyer44

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi Guys,

(sorry for the rambling post!)

I am 14 workouts into the Dan John 40 day program and really enjoying it. It is keeping things simple for me, and making sure I get the gym everyday and have a plan.

I am doing the following lifts:

DL, Bench, pull-ups, KB swings, ab wheel

when I started the first 7-10 days i was just doing the basic 2x5 plan with a couple 1,2,3 -1,2,3 ladder days thrown in.

I know it says in the plan to stick to a weight you can get 5 reps for anyday anytime no problem. So with that I quickly went up to 315# on my deadlifts and did 335# on a couple of the 1,2,3 ladder days.

These are weights I can do for those reps and I am never in danger of missing a rep ,but it does feel heavy to me. I read on one of the 40 day posts you should be able to do the weight completely calm, no chalk, and no psych up.

On 315# for 2x5 I am not grunting, struggling or getting my self pumped for the set, but I feel on the first rep it comes up slower than it should for this type of workout.

I am lifting 5 days a week and am never sore, never too tired, energy is good but - will lifting too heavy on this program be an issue as far as progress?

The last time I maxed was a couple years back when I was in better shape and 40# lighter I did 420# @ 204#  BW.

Because I thought I was going too heavy i spent a couple days at 275# and 295#.

I did a set of 6 singles a few days ago  and hit 355#   with ease for the last 2. Then yesterday I did the 5-3-2 rep scheme and did 295# -315#-355#.  The 355# for 2 went up like butter! I felt stronger!

Should I keep working 315# til it comes as easy as 275# or stay at 295# for a little while?

For bench I have never been good at it so I am sticking with 215# for my sets of 5 until it feels light all the way through the last 2 reps ( I slow down on the last 2 but always make them  clean) O the day I did 6 singles I ended at 265# - easy no spotter, no lift off. and on the 5-3-2  day I did 215#-225#-245#  the 245# went up smooth.

I guess my question would be if you were in my shoes 5'11" 245# based on the above, how heavy would you be going, and how fast should I progress, and how much exertion should there really be in the 40 day training protocol?

THanks for the advise.

P.s. Pavel - got my copy of S&S read it through and it is amazing, already completely enhanced my swings! Can't weight too run the program!

I have run this program a few times, but I am by no means an expert.  So here's my .02 cents.

If you are asking if it's too heavy, then it's too heavy.

Spend the vast majority of your workouts going lighter than you think you need to.  I know Dan has explained this as doing today's workout to set you up for a killer workout tomorrow.  Then when tomorrow comes, do the workout to set you up for a killer workout the next day.

Occasionally, when you feel good, lift more.  And it sounds like you're doing that.

So mostly, keep doing what you're doing.  But as soon as you ask yourself if you are going too heavy, scale back.  You've got 26 more workouts to go, so you're only about 1/3 of the way through it.  Trust the process.

Jay-

Are you missing lifts?

Are you forcing lifts?

Pay attention to bar speed in general and that should help. I've always found that when my bar speed slows down, I might be forcing it. Don't get me wrong, when you go heavy, you will slow down but Easy Strength is not supposed to be a brutal program.

After you, 6x1 day, make the next session a tonic session, thats where you plug in a 1x10 rep scheme as a recovery lift.

Thanks guys,

I am not missing lifts and really don't feel like I am forcing it but bar speed is an issue on the heavier deads at least for the first rep. These are all weights I know I can do for 5 reps but they feel heavy and progress seems slow.

I did 295# yesterday and had great speed and power, it felt great, and felt a little lighter.

I missed the 1x10 day after the singles, but I have the rep schemes and days written in my book now so I will do that next week when it comes up.

thanks again

Jay, keep the same weights for a day or two a week but go a lot lighter on other days, e.g. 225.

Just a quick update...

I stuck with 315#  on DL to start the week for my first 2x5 then went down to 225# like you said Pavel and really focused on feeling the power drive through  my hips.

Tuesday the 315# sets felt really explosive for the first time.

Yesterday was my 6x1 day and here is what i got:

315, 335, 355, 365,385, 405! on DL  - The 405 pull was the first time I pulled over 400 in 3 years it went up strong in control and I was able to even gently put the bar down instead of dropping it at the top. No chalk, no grunting, very relaxed and in control, it felt really good and as though I could have thrown another 20# on there easily and still not be at max effort.

For bench I went: 225#, 235, 245, 255,265,275  no lift off from spotter on 275, went up slow but smooth. - Also did not feel like a max effort lift at all.

During both lifts I was in this super relaxed state, almost felt like I was sleep walking through the workout, but in a good way. I think the grease the groove method is just reactivating muscle and my CNS is coming into play through this 40 day workout more so than my muscles getting stronger/bigger.

My pull ups have gone from a slow struggle barely able to complete 4-5 reps to fast, powerful, fully locked out sets of 5. To the point where I feel like I should either add weight to them or up reps?

Today is day 20 of this workout and I am starting to realize the benefits, thanks to Dan John and Pavel for this protocol!

Awesome stuff, Jay.  It sounds like you're definitely getting into the right groove with this workout.

As far as the pull ups go, add weight, sometimes.  Just think of them like the deadlift, there is nothing wrong with getting really good at sets of 5 that don't necessarily feel challenging.  Then test yourself on a 5,3,2 or a 6x1 day.

Let us know how the second half of the program goes for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom