all posts post new thread

Old Forum 40 day program vs PTP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dardar

Level 1 Valued Member
Comrades,

Is there a benefit to using Dan J's setup for easy strength vs using PTP style cycles?

I recently learned to low bar back squat and I want to laser focus on this lift.  I have been using a 2x5 PTP wave cycle so that I can get near daily exposure to the movement. Practice!

Is there a benefit to adding in the 532 and the 6x1 singles from easy strength, because it looks to like PTP with an 'unstructured' step cycle.  When the weight feels light, add more.

Thanks for your feedback.

d.

Thanks Mike.

As with PTP - do it and get stronger.  And you can certainly run PTP for 40 days.  I just don't know if Dan and Pavel added the 532 and the heavy singles in for a reason other than breaking up the boredom of a 40 day program - since most of us suffer from exercise A.D.D.

Thanks,

d.

I would say it depends what else you have going on in your life. if you have a couple of months to dedicate to strength training follow PTTP. If you are practising another sport, busy with work or have other stressors go with a more flexible system like EZ strength.

if I do PTTP  I usually add some pull-ups and ab work anyway ago it's practically the same. also I think you can rotate between the 2 programs pretty easily every few weeks

Agree, having used both the 40 day program and PTP over the years, on how the former helps with exercise ADD.

I recently used the forty day program in conjunction with a Program for the Army physical fitness test to maintain my strength around the bench press, clean and press, dead lift, and front squat to good effect.

The forty day program is another way to follow the rule of ten that PTP does with enough variance with the set and rep schemes (I especially like the 532 rep scheme a lot) to keep things interesting yet still keep one focused on a core of exercises.

In short, both programs are nothing short of awesome in terms of sheer simplicity.

Thanks LoneRider.  I guess it is as Pavel has said 'same, but different'.

The 532 is awesome.

Reading through Dan's stuff makes me think that he added the 5-3-2 and singles day because folks couldn't "get" just doing the 2x5 everyday.  So, this addition makes it seem like an actual training program for the patience-challenged folk.

To your question, run one at time and see if one brand benefits YOU over the other.

Thanks Al.   I think you are on to something about the modifications Dan J. made to Pavel's original program.

That got me to thinking:  I think the 40 day program is PTP.  I think Pavel basically summed up PTP in his conversation with Dan John, knowing that he was speaking to someone who had the experience, knowledge, and intestinal fortitude to stick with it long enough to see results.

If Pavel had tried to market the 40 day program in PTP - nobody would have bought into it.  Too simple.  Besides, all that good info on the high tension techniques, how to properly set up a cycle so that you are always moving forward . . . . . all of us Yanks would have still been in the dark!

Genius.  Pure Genius.

d.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom