all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 40+ year olds: at your age, do you find yourself stop pushing for PRs?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Seems relevant to put this link here.

Peter Attia has an interesting idea he coined as the Centenary Decathlon- basically: what do you want to be able to do at 100 years old - and what's your path to ensure you get there.

Its a worthwhile thought-experiment.

Attia's full interview etc. about it is behind a pay-wall, but the below gives a good introduction.

Its not all that complicated, really;

Turning 44 this summer. I've actually rarely been that interested in PR's and the likes. Sure, there's been progression, but I've tried to focus primarily on the process of getting stronger rather than doing arbitrary peaking. That said, there's nothing wrong with working towards PR's, as long as one's priorities are set straight.

I had some knee injuries over a decade back (not related to lifting, but to capoeira training) which is fine today. I think that my lack of interest in PR'ing has helped keep me mostly injury free throughout my +20 years of training.

Interesting aside; many of my PT colleagues (30-50:ish in age) suffer from wear and tear and injuries. Many of them do daily training sessions of 90-120 minutes, sometimes more.

I stay at 30-45 minutes with my minimalist approach and I seem keep making progress without accumulating debilitating volume. I might do a barbell period at some point, but so far I simply enjoy staying regular in my training and injury-free.

I just thought about something I hadn't been paying attention to. Actually, are there people on this forum who are under 30 years old. I personally do not think of such, or at least I have not seen them. I'm not saying there isn't. What I notice is that the youngest are around 40 years old or a few years younger. The others are even older. The only conclusion I can make about the reasons is that maybe training with KB is an increase over time. Many people switch from barbells to KB, and the reverse is rare. Of course, there are those who train with all the tools, but I'm generally talking about the majority. In my gym, I have not seen a single young person use a KB, except in group classes where the typical KB exercises like presses and snatches are not performed. I've only seen swings being made, some lifts from the ground and the like. I haven't actually seen anyone but me do snatchers. Apart from the people in group classes and those who box or train for MMA, everyone else thinks of themselves as bodybuilders or their goal is to shape bodies mostly with machines. Whether they are male or female. There are also strong people on the bars, but they are not the predominant ones.
Training with KB is hard. If I do 1000 kg. /2200lbs/ total volume with KB from clean and presses I feel just as tired compared to doing 10,000kg. /22,000 lbs/ on chest, back, shoulder and leg machines. Considering the fact that with most of the machines I train with the involvement of many joints for about 10-12 repetitions and often reach the point of failure on some exercises. And something doesn't make me sweat like short-rest KB exercises, even if it's not ballistics.

I just thought about something I hadn't been paying attention to. Actually, are there people on this forum who are under 30 years old. I personally do not think of such, or at least I have not seen them. I'm not saying there isn't. What I notice is that the youngest are around 40 years old or a few years younger. The others are even older. The only conclusion I can make about the reasons is that maybe training with KB is an increase over time. Many people switch from barbells to KB, and the reverse is rare. Of course, there are those who train with all the tools, but I'm generally talking about the majority. In my gym, I have not seen a single young person use a KB, except in group classes where the typical KB exercises like presses and snatches are not performed. I've only seen swings being made, some lifts from the ground and the like. I haven't actually seen anyone but me do snatchers. Apart from the people in group classes and those who box or train for MMA, everyone else thinks of themselves as bodybuilders or their goal is to shape bodies mostly with machines. Whether they are male or female. There are also strong people on the bars, but they are not the predominant ones.
Training with KB is hard. If I do 1000 kg. /2200lbs/ total volume with KB from clean and presses I feel just as tired compared to doing 10,000kg. /22,000 lbs/ on chest, back, shoulder and leg machines. Considering the fact that with most of the machines I train with the involvement of many joints for about 10-12 repetitions and often reach the point of failure on some exercises. And something doesn't make me sweat like short-rest KB exercises, even if it's not ballistics.
This is so on point for me and something I’d like to hear more about. How many people made a transition from other tools to solely kettlebells? Or at the very least mostly kettlebells? I didn’t articulate myself well in a previous post on this thread. The point I wanted to make is that after two decades of training, working in construction in my 20s, and having a very busy life right now, barbell training takes way too much out of me. When I do kettlebell clean and press, front squats, and chin-ups, I feel like I did good work without being too sore. My goals now are to progress from double 24s to double 32s. Maybe not the most for some people, but certainly a PR for me.

@Steve Freides ,close enough to the topic.
I've been wondering how many individuals worldwide 60 years of age or older hold the SF Elite designation?
A good question - it might be interesting to come up with a demographic profile, kind of reverse fitting PL categories of age and weight onto certified instructors.

I lift with 70 year olds that still pull double bodyweight.
Just to brag, my DL is almost exactly 2.5 x bodyweight, so my double bodyweight is my 80% lift. I'm not 70 years old just yet but, God willing and the creeks don't rise, that will be my next birthday. I like 75% 1RM as a repeatable DL weight - programs like the Daily Dose Deadlift make a lot of use of this weight, and PlanStrong likes 75% weights, too.

How many people made a transition from other tools to solely kettlebells? Or at the very least mostly kettlebells? I didn’t articulate myself well in a previous post on this thread. The point I wanted to make is that after two decades of training, working in construction in my 20s, and having a very busy life right now, barbell training takes way too much out of me.
I think a lot of this is going to depend on your particular training history. I played backyard/playground sports as a kid, was part of the jogging boom of the 1970's, and didn't start lifting weights until my 40's.

Although I've read the Louie Simmons quote about the deadlifting taking more than it gives, it's important to remember that comes from the world of elite, geared powerlifters. I cannot think of anything that comes close to giving me as much benefit for my time spent as 2 sets of 5 barbell deadlifts at 75% 1RM, and there's no downside - I do this kind of DL session, put the bar down, walk up the steps, and sit down to teach a music lesson. I'm not sweating afterwards, and it's something I can and have done almost daily when I'm not training for something else.

I think using all the modalities is great. My current routine is training for a PL meet with a barbell, AXE kettlebell swings 2x/week, and some bw work on rings or a bar.

Or even take a gander at Steve’s open powerlifting profile. Steve Freides

On a few occasions I've done PL meets pretty close together, but generally it's once or twice a year. This year, 2024, I've got one on April 27 and another on June 21. I'm doing the latter in a new federation that spun off from the USPA after the scandal about some meet organizers, mostly because it's near where my wife and I grew up and will be another reason to go there to visit old friends - that and the fact that I can set like a whole pile of records because none exist there in my age/weight/division yet. :)

TL;DR - about PL records

The new federation, like many PL federations, has place-holder numbers for some records. In the case of National Powerlifting League (Home), there are no records and no placeholders for state records for my age/weight/division so I'll get all those; on the national level and the world level, I will definitely get the BP and DL records, with the SQ being a little more iffy, probably I'll surpass the placeholder on the national level but the world placeholder is equal to my lifetime PR SQ, so we'll have to see if I feel like going to that one on the day.

-S-

This is so on point for me and something I’d like to hear more about. How many people made a transition from other tools to solely kettlebells? Or at the very least mostly kettlebells? I didn’t articulate myself well in a previous post on this thread. The point I wanted to make is that after two decades of training, working in construction in my 20s, and having a very busy life right now, barbell training takes way too much out of me. When I do kettlebell clean and press, front squats, and chin-ups, I feel like I did good work without being too sore. My goals now are to progress from double 24s to double 32s. Maybe not the most for some people, but certainly a PR for me.

I'm in my 40s, my post is second in this thread.

I migrated from kettlebells to barbells and some machines. I have several years of experience with both.

To me, tools are tools. I don't notice a difference training with a kettlebell or a barbell. I don't know why I would.

I am 42, I stopped hitting PRs. I try to maintain strength on a minimalistic foundation. My training approach is very basic with just a few functional exercises.

I am 40 and need to give you a little pushback on that. 40 is old. Not grandpa level old, but still old. Half of the journey is already done. Which is perfectly fine. But calling 40 "not old" is some strange modern phenomenon that needs to make room for a more realistic assessment of age.

I just change the style of my training. I don't push PRs anymore, but I let them happen. It seems to me, that you are doing something similar.

In my younger years, I tried to squeeze every ounce of performance out of each training session. The progress can be faster that way if you can recover well. Most of the time, training with a conjugate system, I built my base and was pretty peaked. Now, I just build my base. Strength training within 70-80%1RM, zone 2, medium intensity with my circuit trainings, GTG + exercise snacks to increase training volume. Within the next weeks, I will most likely once again become the strongest version of myself, just because of patience and base building. But it is rather a byproduct of seeking the optimal training and not anymore because of me being a reckless maniac.

However, I think it is a fountain of youth to keep up the focus and (mental) intensity in life and therefore in training. The moment you slow down, death get a grip on you.

One of my favorite quotes from Whitefang by Jack London:

I train as serious as ever. I just train a bit more clever.

So, in a way, yes: I stopped pushing for PRs. But I never stop pushing in training and life.

Yep, decline in recovery is the #1 issue.

If someone hasn't noticed this after age 40, they probably weren't pushing their limits when younger.

Explosive power and reaction speed is the next thing I've noticed and frustrates me the most.

Mobility and 'slow strength' seems to be declining most gradually and easiest to maintain just by putting in the work.

I hit my lifetime PRs in my 40s and 50s. Of course, had I been more focused on such things in my 20s and 30s I probably would have hit them then. On my 61st birthday (about 1.5 years ago) I damn near tied my lifetime PR in the deadlift from my mid 40s.

Today, it's mostly about maintenance. I do test my strength levels from time to time, but as said before, recovery is more of a limiting factor as I get older.

I'm almost 42, I know that's not old, but injuries and joint issues have been piling up as soon as I hit 40 years old (I've only been lifting since my late 20s). Injuries are becoming more frequent and a lot easier to occur. I now find myself halting my pursuit of PRs and now lift for maintainance. Now, this is not to say I'm weaker, in fact I'm the strongest I've ever been, and I know I am still capable of breaking through current PRs and set new ones - it's just I know it will come at a cost if not managed with the level of care that it deserves, and on top of that I think I'm done with trying to break my body in pursuit of new PRs.

My training goals have changed of late, focusing on maintaining strength and improving my conditioning. I still train hard, but I do so within my limits.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this and more broadly on continuing training as father time starts knocking at our door.
Approaching 54, and my sole focus since the late 2000s has been consistent training (training more often than not; being active).
Being without a specific goal doesn't equate to being without direction; rather, I've reached a stage where personal records hold little significance.

If someone hasn't noticed this after age 40, they probably weren't pushing their limits when younger.

Explosive power and reaction speed is the next thing I've noticed and frustrates me the most.

Mobility and 'slow strength' seems to be declining most gradually and easiest to maintain just by putting in the work.

I'm sure that something start's to go amiss with time. Otherwise we'd see athletes competing for longer on the top.

However, the margins of the top athletes are minimal. I doubt the effect is that big for the recreational trainee between 40 and 50, for example.

Speaking of the top athletes, some time ago the typical prime age of the top footballer, as in not a handegger, ended when they got close to 30. These days, in advancements in only about 20 years or so, the age has gone up several years. The players are not different, but they take more care of themselves.

When people speak of the advancement and woes of the middle age, I wonder if it's just the typical customs of avoiding too much effort, enjoying being comfortable, having earned the extra pint, etc., than the extra year or two, that makes the difference.

I disagree. My recovery hasn't slowed down, even though I am 40. And: I pushed my limits harder than most would imagine. (e.g. combining Chaos and Pain by Jamie Lewis with a ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, training multiple sessions per day and cold training in 0°C water for more than 30 min)

I am as explosive as I was in my 20s. Don't know about my reaction speed, since I don't train martial arts anymore.

This will surely change (just not yet). But the first changes in my opinion are psychological. This is what I personally feel. In my younger ages, I could care if I had to take break. I would jump right into training, not caring about all the soreness. Now, I feel the sand in the gears and I care. But if I ignore the temptation of complacency, I can do what I could do 15 years ago.

Paul Chek is one example on how to prolong the physical (and psychological) youth substantially.

Many people who are, for example, in their 50s or approaching it claim that bad things start suddenly. For nearly a year, after doing back exercises, my inner forearms hurt. Regardless of weight and reps. I tried different things like 2-3x3-5, 6-8, 10-12, 12-15, the result is the same. Even if it is better somewhere, the pain is there. It doesn't interfere with my daily life, but I'm not 100%. I rested for a while and the pain went away, but when I started training again it was the same.

Last edited:
Many people who are, for example, in their 50s or approaching it claim that bad things start suddenly. For nearly a year, after doing back exercises, my inner forearms hurt. Regardless of weight and reps. I tried different things like 2-3x3-5, 6-8, 10-12, 12-15, the result is the same. Even if it is better somewhere, the pain is there. It doesn't interfere with my daily life, but I'm not 100%. I rested for a while and the pain went away, but when I started training again it was the same.

I don't know. I've had similar issues through the years. Usually they're healed by time, sometimes some exercises help. Maybe they'll get worse through the years.

As I help the elderly exercise I hear a lot of stories - everyone knows that health and injuries are the favorite subjects for small talk. Come to think of it, here as well? In any case, people seem to get hurt with practically anything.

I disagree. My recovery hasn't slowed down, even though I am 40. And: I pushed my limits harder than most would imagine. (e.g. combining Chaos and Pain by Jamie Lewis with a ketogenic diet, intermittent fasting, training multiple sessions per day and cold training in 0°C water for more than 30 min)

I am as explosive as I was in my 20s. Don't know about my reaction speed, since I don't train martial arts anymore.

This will surely change (just not yet). But the first changes in my opinion are psychological. This is what I personally feel. In my younger ages, I could care if I had to take break. I would jump right into training, not caring about all the soreness. Now, I feel the sand in the gears and I care. But if I ignore the temptation of complacency, I can do what I could do 15 years ago.

Paul Chek is one example on how to prolong the physical (and psychological) youth substantially.

You're 40.

I'm 54.

You're just not there yet.

Empirically, I cannot clean & jerk (explosive power) what I could 10 years ago, even though I've had 10 years more of technique practice.

What I cannot train around is the effect of higher volume on my joints - this has downstream effect on every other training consideration and the single biggest aging factor I face.
^^^^ This is what I'm noticing. As I'm getting older, the little injuries I get here or there are happening less in the muscles (I like to think because I'm training smarter), and more in the joints - which take take longer to heal.

I'm almost 42, I know that's not old, but injuries and joint issues have been piling up as soon as I hit 40 years old (I've only been lifting since my late 20s). Injuries are becoming more frequent and a lot easier to occur. I now find myself halting my pursuit of PRs and now lift for maintainance. Now, this is not to say I'm weaker, in fact I'm the strongest I've ever been, and I know I am still capable of breaking through current PRs and set new ones - it's just I know it will come at a cost if not managed with the level of care that it deserves, and on top of that I think I'm done with trying to break my body in pursuit of new PRs.

My training goals have changed of late, focusing on maintaining strength and improving my conditioning. I still train hard, but I do so within my limits.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this and more broadly on continuing training as father time starts knocking at our door.
I’m 54 and it’s been so long that I can’t remember when I last tested a 1 rep max. Accumulation of injury, mainly from doing stupid stuff as a younger man, and risk of new injury means going that heavy is just not worth it for me and unnecessary for my goals and how I train. I used to use rep max calculators as a guide to “progress” but I don’t even do that any more. I’m lifting for the sensation of hard work and to blow kisses at my physique in the gym mirror. As I’ve got older the primary lens over exercise modality has become injury prevention. My risk appetite (as they say) is low and I’ll tinker with any variable to keep injury risk low. As others have commented, it’s joint and tendon issues as I’ve aged. Controlling this means things like adding rest days, increasing rest periods, reducing volume, careful exercise selection, fixation on form etc - I don’t do anything ‘off-the-shelf’ any more. At the moment, I’m back to daily training as my long-suffering joints and tendons seem to prefer volume spread across 5 to 7 workouts weekly, small group of exercises for the whole body, HIT style (single set close to failure), higher reps. This is working great so of course I’ll change it soon.

Back
Top Bottom