all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 5-minute S&S test

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think I am one of the many to do a weird misinterpretation, based on the EMOM idea. I've been doing 10 left, hand to hand change, 10 right, park, repeat EMOM. I couldn't quite figure out any other way to make 10x10 work, never considered doing 10L E30O30 and 10R EMOM. An interesting thing to try!

Last edited:
@Tim Randolph
>>This forum really is the most civilized part of the internet.

Welcome , Tim! And you are absolutely correct--there's an unbelievable amount of helpful people and great advice here.

It is actually "pap" (gruel) and not "melk" (milk). The expression is commonly used when you have eaten too much, but in Flanders we also use it when we are really tired. And as to why it is the word "pap", no idea. Will have to look it up.
In German there's the expression "pappsatt" which means "completely fed up to the point that you can't take another bite". Makes me wonder whether it has the same origin or not.

On topic:
Whenever I test myself I set my timer to beep every 30sec for the swings. This way I end up completing the 10x10 in ~4:50.
I'm 6'4 so a bigger ROM than most people. 10 swings take me 19-20sec which results in a 2:1 work to rest ratio instead of 1:1, but I don't care because with a bigger ROM also comes more time spend in the float, which I consider a kind of active rest.

Last edited:
Hello,

@Kettlebelephant
10 swings take me 19-20sec which results in a 2:1 work to rest ratio instead of 1:1, but I don't care because with a bigger ROM also comes more time spend in the float, which I consider a kind of active rest.
Despite that, does not make your test "even more" challenging ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
I don't know. I only have this body so no way to know if it would be less challenging with a smaller one :)
What I can say though is when I actively push the KB down (like a 1H-shadowswing) to get my set-time down to 15sec it feels much harder than 20sec sets of enjoying the float and only having 10sec of rest.

@pet'
I don't know. I only have this body so no way to know if it would be less challenging with a smaller one :)
What I can say though is when I actively push the KB down (like a 1H-shadowswing) to get my set-time down to 15sec it feels much harder than 20sec sets of enjoying the float and only having 10sec of rest.

I am the same height and have the same experience as @Kettlebelephant.

I definitely agree with the float being active rest. As an aside, during any snatch test I consider the time that the K/Bell is shoulder height and above to be active rest..or a "microrest." A nice, strong "easy" punch and then fraction of a second in the overhead. For me the top of each snatch is about 1/4 second rest which adds up over 100~200+ swings.

Thus I strongly agree with Mirek and Kettlebellephant that their float is rest...especially with that big an ROM. Again, those extra ~30 seconds of microrest/recovery mean a LOT during a timed S&S session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom