all posts post new thread

Old Forum 6 Weeks of S&S (long post!)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

AndyMcL

Level 5 Valued Member
Get ready for a long read. I didn’t think I would write this much. But, I did. So here it is in its unedited glory.

Timeline
I started this program the week after Thanksgiving, used the first week to build up the reps and sessions and by the second week I was doing 5×10 swings and 5×1 get ups each side with the 24kg. I stuck with that weight for a week or so, until I was consistently below 5:00 in the swings and below 10:00 in the get ups and I started to sprinkle in reps with the 32. In the book Pavel says that the two lifts can cycle independently.

To keep things simple though, I worked them in equally. My abilities at the two are pretty similar, so this worked for me. The 32 was a big jump! It took me a solid two weeks to move to doing all of the sets with the bigger bell. When I fully moved up I started by taking 10:00 to do the swings, and around 12:00 to finish the get ups. The get ups progressed quickly and I can now perform them in about 9:00 with moderate effort. The limiting factor on the get ups is the weight, not the time. Once I was able to do all 10 with the 32 it was only a few sessions before the time dropped below 10:00. The swings are generally taking around 6:00, though if I push it I finish right around the 5:00 mark. I’m going to take the next week to keep working the time down on the swings, and then change programs for a bit (until I get that 40kg bell!).

Program Notes
I aimed to follow S&S six days a week, sprinkling in lighter days when I felt some culmulative fatigue. I did not only follow S&S; one to two days a week I would perform front squats, bench presses and weighted chins. Squats and presses were done with rule of ten (2×5, 3×3, 5-3-2 etc.) and for chin ups I used a progressive singles routine. One day a week I did some tension work with one-arm lock offs, pistol isometrics and one-arm push-up holds. Strength work was never to failure, with a conservative weight and done a couple hours before or after S&S. During the week of Christmas I did very limited non S&S work. In terms of diet I did not really change anything, but I have been performing the S&S workouts fasted whenever possible, and in general not eating breakfast.

Results
In terms of swings and get ups the results were pretty obvious; I got much better at them. The 32 was my previous max for get ups, now I can do five each side in under 9:00. I do not have a 40 (or a 36) to practice with, but I imagine that I could squeeze out a rep with them. I am now swinging the 32 in the same amount of time I started with the 24. But, those results are expected and not very exciting. Last week I tested my KC C+P after my warm up. I cleaned and pressed the 32 four times with my left side and six times with my right. At the end of November my max for the two sides was one and three respectively. This increase came with no KB pressing work and zero psyche up. I just picked up the weight and grinded through it. Pretty exciting. The only one-arm push-up work I’ve done has been holds/negatives, but I can easily bust out 5 on each arm. My one-arm chin lock-offs feel worlds stronger than they did a month ago. Yes, I have been practicing them (once a week), but the added grip strength has done wonders for them. I haven’t tried deadlifting in a while, but I’m sure at worst the weight has stayed the same.

Last part I want to talk about here is grip. I will keep bringing this up, because it is my biggest takeaway from the program but S&S is the single best thing I have ever done for my grip. My forearms have ballooned, grippers are downright easy. Last week for fun I tested my CoC #1 gripper. It was like wrapping my hand around warm butter. So, I ordered the #2, and (with great effort) can almost close it. That is a BIG jump. One-arm lock offs are easy, and I find my hands locked around barbells. The only reason your friends will not ask you to open their beers is that they might be afraid you’ll snap the neck off of the bottle.

In terms of body changes, I did not weigh myself when I began or take pictures, so I only have my own observations and those of friends/family. My baseline is somewhere around 6’0” and 180lbs. S&S definitely builds the promised fighter physique, my legs and chest feel a little smaller than when I began, but my torso and forearms seem to be knotted with muscle. You won’t get massive quads and giant “guns,” but you will develop the spartan look. I made no real changes to my diet but I have observed weight loss of a couple pounds. This coincided with the holiday season, so if anything I ate worse and drank much more than I usually do. Despite this my roommates have noted that I look leaner, and my family remarked upon the definition and veins evident in my forearms. Unless you are somewhat underdeveloped I do not see this program adding a whole lot of meat to anyone, however if you perform it 5-6 times a week, fasted I do not know if it is possible to gain weight. Due to the relatively low volume and time invested I did not feel any additional hunger, so would often only have a shake after working out. Also because of the low volume performing the work fasted did not cause me to feel weak or light headed. Intermittent fasting does not work for everyone, but for me, with this program, it was very effective. Also, I’m a former endurance athlete and have always been fairly lean, despite that I STILL lost fat following the S&S protocol. If you are struggling with fat loss, try these workouts fasted.

S&S vs PM
In many ways S&S is a perfected PM, so what are the differences? The rest of this section will be done assuming that the PM was performed as written in ETK with 2 days for TGU (5 minutes) and 2 days for two handed swings (12 minutes), and S&S was performed 6 days per week. I performed the PM briefly over the summer in this fashion, so I can comment on the differences I observed.

Simply in terms of volume the swings come out very similarly. During the PM when I worked up to sets of 50 in the two hand swing I would perform about 300 per workout. Done twice a week, that is 600 swings. Doing S&S 6 days a week equals out to be 600 swings as well. Dividing the volume up this way will cause differences. Longer sets are really going to fry the lungs, and cause some burn in the hamstrings. But, when sets get to be that long explosive power is a necessary casualty. Also, it limits the amount of weight that can be used, no one would argue that two-handed swings with a 24 are harder than one-handed swings with a 32. Now that I have performed S&S with the 32 two-handed swings with the 24 feels like waving around a toy. Something I left out of the results, I performed two-handed swings with the 24 for fun a couple days ago. I knocked out 100 in a row, and stopped because that seemed like a good end point. When training long sets with the 24 I could not have performed this. Heavy, low-rep swings prepare you for light, high-rep swings better than the other way around.

The one-handed swing is much more versatile than the two-handed, in my opinion. Doing two-handed swings for long sets is great for your grip. Doing heavy one-handed swings will transform your hand into a vice. Your lat has to work much harder to keep the shoulder in the socket, and the core is in overdrive resisting rotation. If I was doing a whole selection of exercises I might choose the two-handed swing, but when only focusing on two the one-handed swing is king.

One area in which S&S is undoubtedly superior is the programming of the TGU. In the PM if I was going non-stop I could get 4 get ups each side with the 24 in 5 minutes, and around 2 each side with the 32. Each day in S&S has as much time dedicated to the get up as a week of the PM. Unsurprisingly my get up progressed worlds faster than when I was following the PM. You’re going to see much greater increases in strength and hypertrophy with the increased time under tension, and frequency of practice. When I did the PM I noticed little benefit to my overhead pressing work, with S&S my overhead strength took off. That extra volume is key.

Now, if you’re a fighter (the population that the PM was originally built for), then having less stress on your shoulders, and working longer reps in the swing may be beneficial. Additionally, this comparison is not at all even when you number of sessions, and duration into account. My average S&S workout takes about 20 minutes. You can be done with the TGU day for the PM in under 10.

Next?
“So Andy, you just completed a cycle of S&S, what are you going to do next?” Well, I’m not going to Disney World, but I am going to tackle some goals of mine. Two of those are half-bodyweight KB press and one-arm chin-up. Since my overhead strength and grip have never been better this seems to be the opportune time to work on those. I also don’t have a 40kg KB so S&S will be pretty stalled without that. My plan is to tackle a modified RoP. It’ll look something like this:

Main Workout:
Press ladders with the 32kg (now that I can get more than 3 in a row with the 32!)
Assisted One-Arm Chin ladders
Deadlift (easy strength rule of 10)
One-Arm Swings (S&S style)

Variety Days:
Turkish Get Ups (3 each side)
Front Squats (rule of 10)
Push Ups/Bench Press (rule of 10)

Now, yes that is a ton of pressing. Will my shoulders hold up? Well, they honestly feel pretty bullet proof from S&S, but if I start feeling fatigue as the volume increase I’ll drop the volume/intensity on the variety days.

I’m starting with assisted one-arm chins instead of weighted. My weighted chin numbers have gotten to be pretty good (2x48kg), and they’ve pretty much stalled out, so I’m switching it up and trying to get more specific with my exercise. I’m going to start by using a pulley assist method; hang a rope over the bar with a weight on the floor side and switch arms.

I really like the S&S swings, so I’m going to keep those in place of the dice rolling methods. On the light days I’ll sub in the lighter shadow swings. Haven’t deadlifted in about 2 months, so figured I’d do some light work on that before I hit the swings.

Variety days are really just schedule to be maintenance. There’s a strong correlation between my benching strength and overhead strength, so I want to at least not lose any ground there. And I’m planning on attending a BW course in March, so I want to make sure my push ups are solid.

Hopefully by the time I finish this (couple months from now) I’ll have a press with the 40kg (half-bodyweight for me). After that I’ll get back on S&S with the 40kg. Would love to progress to the Beast by the end of the year, but that might be a longer term goal! Either way, I’m excited for the journey.

Would love any input on my upcoming program, and feel free to ask any questions about my experience on S&S.

Conclusion
Simply put, Simple and Sinister is a terrific General Physical Preparedness program. Joe Defranco refers to the feet, core and hands as the “strength infrastructure.” The idea is that any athletic movement requires power transfer from the legs (through the feet), through the core, and into the hands. If all an athlete does is focus on those elements they will be in a good spot. You would be hard pressed to find two exercises that better hit those three qualities than the swing and the get up. My hips feel great, my grip is out of control and my hips feel quick and strong. S&S may not have directly helped me achieve my goals, but it put me in a place where I can now attack them. If you can complete the program with the 32 you are in a good place. If you complete it with the 48 you are ready for anything.

Authors Note: I am in no way affiliated with StrongFirst and have nothing at all to gain from my review. I just happen to have had some awesome results from one of their kick-a#@ products.

TL;DR- S&S is awesome. Do as directed. If comfortable, add in some variety work, but don’t let it interfere with the core sessions. Rinse, repeat and enjoy the road.

That was a great read. Well done, that's some terrific progress. What stands out for me is what you said here:
Heavy, low-rep swings prepare you for light, high-rep swings better than the other way around.
The one handed swing with the 32kg has also helped me a lot, makes the 24kg feel like a toy indeed. It's interesting to note the difference with the longer two handed grinds of the 10,000 swing programme, which I found very useful for grip.

I'm curious to see how you get on with your modified ROP. I've just started doing something similar (lacking a 40kg kettlebell) but I'm staying with the 24kg for pressing as I'm not strong enough yet to press the 32. I'm fairly new to all of this but one thing I'd say is be gentle with your shoulder and listen to your body as it seems like an awful lot of work.

Andy,

Nice read of your results, that's great improvement!  I'm going to start tracking my progress better-it's a good practice.

Bad-a#@, my friend! Great writeup and review. Can't wait to hear how the modified RoP works out for you.

Andy,

I read every word of this post and it was great. Your responses and posts have been a pleasure to read as you keep it straight forward and simple. It is quite surprising that you are not an SFG....you should consider it someday soon :).

I agree that S&S is probably one of the best, if not the best, programs out there for GPP. After 5 1/2 weeks myself, I just feel like everyday movements and activities have become a breeze.

Thanks for posting that and I hope to read about your experience with the modified ROP soon as well!

How did you manage your rest periods for swings? I've been going by the book, doing  5 breaths per set, but doing them very long and deep.

Last time I ran a timer using this rest/breathing method, the 5 minute time was up at around set 7. So to get under 5 minutes, I'm going to have to either continue deep breathing but use fewer breaths or use the same breathing pattern, but shorter breaths.

As to the RoP, I have also given thought about how it stands in light of the S&S swing protocol. Eventually I am going to return to it and I'm not sure if I want to do it as originally written or not. In ETK, maximally explosive swings are not promoted to the level they are now. I didn't see that start being a thing until a few years after ETK came out. Then I started hearing DJ and Pavel talk about doing swings in sets of 10, at most.

The thing is that once my press ladders got to the higher rungs, I'd be pretty wiped out by the time I got to my swings on  medium and heavy days. Maximum explosion and timed sets really conflict with each other in this state. It seems more prudent to do away with the timed sets, like S&S, and go for a specific number of swings while emphasizing quality over time.

The question at that point is how to schedule them. Do you just do your regular S&S workout and add the 3 days of pressing ladders to it (with some snatch practice on light day)? Or maybe you should do the same, but cut out the S&S practice on your ladder days. Then again, you could keep the 3-day RoP schedule and plug the S&S swings in there, while maybe varying the number of sets to correspond to L/M/V.

Great read, thanks Andy for sharing!

I have question about your tension practice. How long and how many sets/reps you hold this static positions?

Andy, thank you for taking your time to post such a thorough review!  Please do me a favor and post a short version on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline-ebook/product-reviews/B00GF2HP9G/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Ladies and gents, a lot of keen observations in Andy's post; take note.

Bravo Andy!

Excellent write up!  I'm very interested in hearing how your OAC training progresses, so please keep us posted.  I'm rehabbing a little Medial Epicondylitis at the moment from such endeavors and will use this as motivation.

Cheers!

FlyingPig, my shoulder is definitely something I'm worried about. After a couple weeks the ladders will become high volume with a relatively high intensity. Combining bench and get ups with that could lead to serious problems. If my body starts talking I'm going to make sure to listen. Goal is to make sustained progress, not burn out in a fortnight.

BrianD, thank you. Tracking progress is the single biggest improvement I ever made to my training.

Aris, Appreciate it. I too am looking forward.

Daniel, It's something I've thought about, though to be honest I'm more interested in the SFB certification. Keep up the good work! You'll be amazed at what you're capable of in just a few more weeks,

Bill, as Mark Twain said "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

Derrick, when I moved up to the 32 I started by taking about 8 long breaths per set and concentrated on working that number down to 5. When I got comfortable with 5 I started looking at the clock and saw that I was finishing around 7:00. In order to get that number down I reduced the number of breaths to 3 or 4. I kept the long, slow inhalation through the nose, but sped up the exhale through my mouth. Today using that methods I finished in 4:40, which is a new PR for me.

As for the swings, my plan is not going to be to shoot for 5:00 on the swings most days. On the heavy days I'll push the pace a little bit, but on the medium and light days I'll focus on taking long breaths in between. As long as I still hit the 100 swings I'm not too concerned about the time. Definite focus on quality over quantity. Concerning scheduling: I'm going to try to do the swings after the ladders, but there's a reason the swings come before the get ups in S&S. If I feel like my quality is lacking I will reevaluate.

Luko, tension days were done completely by feel. Isometrics were done for approximately 4-5 seconds and done in a slow circuit fashion. Because of the haphazard programming and low volume I don't have a great sense of progression, but feel that they have improved.

Pavel, I do not normally endorse products, but I will happily write an amazon review.

Lars, I’ll keep you updated on my progress. That is something I’m hoping to avoid on my journey.

Michael, thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom