all posts post new thread

Old Forum Ab strengthening exercises

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abdul-Rasheed

Level 6 Valued Member
What is your suggestions on ab strengthening exercises? I want to incorporate a simple routine into my S&S training. I want to lose my belly fat (a slight pomp not too much) and really make my core strong. I saw Ab Pavelizer II what is your thoughts on it? Price is a bit steep, is there any cheaper alternative? Thank you.

Following S&S as written will make your core extremely strong. I don't know that you need to supplement it. Also, we've all heard about spot reduction so often from so many marketers that its not really the casual consumers fault for thinking in those terms. Here's an article on why you can't target body fat from specific parts of the body:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/spot-reduction-one-final-attempt-to-kill-the-myth

Strengh Coach Mike Boyle recommends table push-aways to get defined abs ;)

As far as the Ab Pavelizer, from what Pavel writes in Hardstyle Abs ($3 on Amazon Kindle!), it is a VERY intense way to train the abs. He actually recommends not doing any other programming when really dedicating to the abs for a few weeks. I realized after reading that I'd be better served by building a base core strength through the simple goals of S&S before trying that level of somewhat more isolated ab work. I imagine that other ab exercises like deadbugs, RKC planks and straight leg situps will be more appropriate if a person can't yet do a 32kg Turkish Get Up, rather than spending the money on the Ab Pavelizer. Oh, and start crawling! Tim Anderson's Original Strength concepts will really tie your core together.

Abdul, read the aforementioned Hard Style Abs and follow its instructions.

-S-

I thought a little more about your question and your goals. Specifically for your goals, I don't think you should spend the money on the ab pavelizer, although reading hard style abs would still be worthwhile just for the principles.
1) Lose belly fat
2) Really make my core strong

1) Is going to be about diet and expending energy. The swings in S&S will help here.
2) Hardstyle planks will really carry over into everything else you do with kettlebells and will strengthen your core in the way its used in kettelbell training: rigid and locked out, protecting the spine and providing a stable center to move from. 10 reps of 10 seconds each will give you an idea of the power of these planks. They aren't like the 60 second planks you may be familiar with.

Straight leg sit ups  is the cheaper alternative you asked about. You can add weight, too. Keep your heals on the ground throughout. The ab-strength will carry over into your getups, even though the getup is more a side roll than a situp.

Should save some $, which you can spend on a session with an SFG to get you going.

Thank you all for your advice. I placed the order for Hard Style Abs, along with Naked Warrior (some thing I wanted to own for a long time), to add to my growing list of books by Pavel! :)

The Anywhere Plank is powerful and will help pullups, leg raises, swings, and deadlifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzdP5DDeyAY

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom