all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding grip training to S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Form check, please. I was a bit tired this morning doing these, but I think it's pretty representative of my normal form. Sorry for the break in between sets, I'm not good at editing on my phone and wanted to show swings with both hands. Also, the elbow sleeve is not because my elbow joint is having issues, but because I skinned my elbow playing with the kids so it's to add some padding for doing TGU's to try and keep from ripping the scab off again.

24kg swings:

32kg swings:

Those are great swings!

However.... I think they are too easy for you. Not the weight (although you can probably do heavier -- I think this weight is good), but the explosiveness. I think you can do better. See if you can concentrate all the effort early in the upswing, just as the kettlebell is coming through your legs -- get really tight and give it a really hard fast effort, like a hard punch -- pop and float that kettlebell.

Also shoulder alignment could be slightly improved -- your working shoulder is slightly forward -- though it's not bad at all.

All in all super solid. Just wanted to give you some things to get even better... because it's a never-ending quest!

Those are great swings!

However.... I think they are too easy for you. Not the weight (although you can probably do heavier -- I think this weight is good), but the explosiveness. I think you can do better. See if you can concentrate all the effort early in the upswing, just as the kettlebell is coming through your legs -- get really tight and give it a really hard fast effort, like a hard punch -- pop and float that kettlebell.

Also shoulder alignment could be slightly improved -- your working shoulder is slightly forward -- though it's not bad at all.

All in all super solid. Just wanted to give you some things to get even better... because it's a never-ending quest!
Hi Anna,

I don't know if you have looked through this thread, but what you are talking about is precisely what my problem is, lol. I feel like I can handle the weight of the bell with my hips, but my grip is limiting my explosiveness because it feels like I will let the bell go if I explode any more.

I also did notice my shoulder reaching forward after watching the video, thank you for the tips.

Hi Anna,

I don't know if you have looked through this thread, but what you are talking about is precisely what my problem is, lol. I feel like I can handle the weight of the bell with my hips, but my grip is limiting my explosiveness because it feels like I will let the bell go if I explode any more.

I also did notice my shoulder reaching forward after watching the video, thank you for the tips.

Oh yeah, I forgot the context of the thread : -)

But actually I think that could be the answer for your original issue. Your 24kg swings are faster, but they're still not really explosive like I'd be looking for. If you are truly explosive -- hardstyle -- that concentrated power like I was describing -- with the 24kg, it will make your grip stronger for the 32kg, in time.

What grip training have you programmed out for yourself?
None. I have just been swinging this year, and doing some additional strength work like chin-ups, OAPU, and Pistols, but no other grip work.

I THOUGHT my grip strength was good from BJJ, but swinging this bell has me holding back so I don't shoot it across the room as I can feel my grip just not tight enough.

One tip for keeping your shoulder packed: the swing starts from the setup position. When you hinge and reach for the kettlebell, grab it, and then set your shoulder position by pulling the kettlebell a bit towards you and packing that shoulder. Don't start the hike until your shoulder is in position, and then keep it there. It's looking really solid!

Iron Mind grippers...start with a #2 since you have a good head start. Use a GTG protocol. When you can do 15 reps each hand with handle ends touching move up to a #3.
The #3 is a byatch....so go easy. I guarantee that when you can do 5 reps with the #3, gripping the 32 or 40kg won't be an issue.

Iron Mind grippers...start with a #2 since you have a good head start. Use a GTG protocol. When you can do 15 reps each hand with handle ends touching move up to a #3.
The #3 is a byatch....so go easy. I guarantee that when you can do 5 reps with the #3, gripping the 32 or 40kg won't be an issue.
5 reps w. the #3?? Is that a joke? Maybe people exist who can do that, but I've never heard of them.

To add something constructive to the thread - if you're looking for extensor work: Eat Asparagus For Strong Finger Extensors!

With my baby size hands, I’d be surprised if I can close even the smallest grippers. For most people, they can grab them near where their fingers meet their palm and use their hands to close them, for me I have to use the ends of my fingers and have always found them extra difficult.

Grippers are tough on the CNS (consensus I've gleaned from the grip sport and arm lifting community). Also considered to be one of the lower carryover forms of training? But...crush grip IS cool. Doesn't fit my goals personally - which do include swinging and snatching big bells

Grippers are tough on the CNS (consensus I've gleaned from the grip sport and arm lifting community). Also considered to be one of the lower carryover forms of training? But...crush grip IS cool. Doesn't fit my goals personally - which do include swinging and snatching big bells
I agree that grippers are tough on the CNS. They have HUGE carryover to gripping clothing. Or a judo gi. MMA practitioners looking to up their game with minimal time spent on training would be well served to include some focused gripper work. Your training partners will notice in a month or two that they are not able to detach your grip as easily.

With my baby size hands, I’d be surprised if I can close even the smallest grippers. For most people, they can grab them near where their fingers meet their palm and use their hands to close them, for me I have to use the ends of my fingers and have always found them extra difficult.
There are a few gripper brands that run on the narrow side, compared to IronMind grippers. Robert Baraban makes narrow grippers (@2.5" distance between the handles vs @ 3" for IronMind) and some of the Heavy Grips grippers run narrow too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom