all posts post new thread

Old Forum Adding to S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan W

Level 5 Valued Member
Before anyone gets angry for me messing with S&S, I would like to say that I have been doing S&S exactly as written for the last six weeks. I love this program. But there are two things that I want to pursue while continuing S&S:

-Lift heavy: I like barbell training. It is good for my emotional health.

-Run: I am a military guy and as such I need to take standardized fitness tests. Though I can pass the run, I want to excel at the run.

So here is what I am thinking about:

-Every Morning: Walk for an hour / S&S

-Every Evening: Bodyweight Exercises (alternating pushups and pullups)

-Twice weekly: 5x5 (Day 1: Squat/Bench; Day 2: Deadlift/Military Press)

-Twice weekly: Run

Thoughts? I'm completely open to feedback.

Ryan, if you powerlift and barbell military press, you will need to cut back the S&S frequency to twice a week.  Keep in mind that all athe four lifts fatigue the back.

Unless you need to improve for the PT test, I do not see the point in pushups.  If it is an option, it would be better to GTG pullups.

Pavel,

Thanks for the info. I will have to weigh the pros/cons of adding the barbell back into my training. I have found S&S to be the most beneficial program I have ever participated in. I have faithfully been doing it 6 days a week for 6 weeks. Not sure if I want to drop S&S to twice weekly.

Any thoughts on how one could add barbell training to S&S while keeping the swing/TGU frequency high?

Pavel,

Would there be a problem with me doing five easy pullups after each S&S session?  This doesn't seem like it would be enough to hinder progress with S&S, and it is a movement that I would like to remain proficient in.

Dear Pavel,

I have a similar question so I thought I'd post it here. I'd really like to add ring dips and pull-ups to Simple and Sinister, though not with a high volume or intensity.

Would that work? And if so would I be better off adding a small volume at the end of each session or a larger volume less frequently? I don't do any other sports and I don't have an active job, so recovery should hopefully be ok.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom