all posts post new thread

Old Forum Advice for training program for front squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kettlorz

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi all,
I am writing to you to ask in the selection of the training program.
Currently doing an abbreviated version of Smolov (2 session per week; for 1RM= 170kg; back squat).
However, when I finish this program, I would like to spend about six intense weeks (probably also 2 sessions per week) on perfecting my front squat (my main goal).

In this case which training protocol will be the best for front squat?
The goal is of course strenght.

Thanks for advice!

Just an idea: If you want to perfect the lift, practice it every day with a moderate weight - so put together a 40 day / Easy Strength plan focusing on the front squat but also include a press and a pull (eg chins).

Rule of 10: 2x5, 5x2, 5-3-2 etc  ...but I like 2 x 1,2,3

Luke's idea is a good one. My favorite way to quickly increase a detrained movement is either a 40 day plan, or PTTP. Frequency helps more than intensity.

Tim Sword's squat cycle is a classic front squat cycle for increasing strength, but I agree with Aussie that a 40 day approach might be nice coming off what you're doing now if mastering the movement is what you're after.  Just thinking about Dan's blog post here last week, the key to movement mastery seems to be as many quality reps as possible.  The Southwood Program might even be the way to go - 54 fronts squats per week.

http://www.strongfirst.com/things-are-going-so-well-help-me-screw-it-up-part-2/

Easy Strength is great.

But if you wanna increase intensity and stay 2-3 times a week, "3-5" from "Beyond Bodybuilding" is fine option.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom