all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Advice on One Arm Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

HereWeGo

Level 2 Valued Member
Good evening everyone. I need advice, tips or suggestion on my one Arm swing form. After reading a lot and watching numerus videos, i feel that I'm close, but not there yet. Little bout me.
I'm 37yrs old, 107kg, 6'1"with some mild arthritis (elbows).
I know that the kettlebell has to swing up with the momentum of the hip hinge locking, but for some reason, i feel that i have to use my arm and pull to make it swing higher. I want to make sure i have this right before stepping on the TSU's and perform the S&S program.
I have never in my life had done any type of exercise, practice or workouts. Punch and kick the heavy every once in a while but that's it. You can tell by the pics that i have very little upper muscle and a lot of fat. All the tips on the swing, the S&S program and nutrition is welcome. Thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_20210408_214349073_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210408_214349073_HDR~2.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210408_214327193~2.jpg
    IMG_20210408_214327193~2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210408_214312530~2.jpg
    IMG_20210408_214312530~2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 17
The first thing to work on is your hinge mechanics. Note that as your reps progress your knees are increasingly are coming forward over your toes. Work on keeping that forward knee movement to a minimum.
Went back and check my video and noticed it. Thank you very much. Will work on it.

• It looks like you're squatting more than hinging. Maybe push your butt back. There are plenty of good resources out there explaining the hinge-mechanics of the swing
  • It looks like you're hinging/squatting too early; I think the bell should nearly clash into your groin before you "pull back" into the hinge
  • It looks like you are using your arm to raise the bell, not the power from your hip snap.
I think a good place to start is getting a good two-arm swing down first, then focus on the one-arm deal. Best thing, of course, is getting help by a qualified SF-instructor, which I am not.

Good luck!

Last edited:
  • It looks like you're squatting more than hinging. Push your butt back
  • It looks like you're hinging/squatting too early; the bell should nearly clash into your groin before you "pull back" into the hinge
  • It looks like you are using your arm to raise the bell, not the power from your hip snap.
I think a good place to start is getting a good two-arm swing down first, then focus on the one-arm deal.

Good luck!
You are correct. I'm using my arms a little to bring the bell up. I'll work on the 2 arm swing more to better understand the form. Thank you

Good evening everyone. I need advice, tips or suggestion on my one Arm swing form. After reading a lot and watching numerus videos, i feel that I'm close, but not there yet. Little bout me.
I'm 37yrs old, 107kg, 6'1"with some mild arthritis (elbows).
I know that the kettlebell has to swing up with the momentum of the hip hinge locking, but for some reason, i feel that i have to use my arm and pull to make it swing higher. I want to make sure i have this right before stepping on the TSU's and perform the S&S program.
I have never in my life had done any type of exercise, practice or workouts. Punch and kick the heavy every once in a while but that's it. You can tell by the pics that i have very little upper muscle and a lot of fat. All the tips on the swing, the S&S program and nutrition is welcome. Thank you...
Here is a drill which helps to divorce the arms from the hips. Practice this two handed

First, deadlift the kettlebell, and find your comfortable standing position, arms hanging down.

Imagine your arms are ropes, simply a connection from your shoulder to the bell.

Then, move the bell by hinging (just a little way) and then standing back up. Focus on keeping the arms loose. The bell should travel, maybe 10 inches or so.

Repeat these 'micro swings' until the arms are completely relaxed, then extend the movement, going for a bigger hinge and more of a snap. Remember to monitor the arms.

Repeat until you are swinging the bell to shoulder height. If, at any point, you feel your arms, back off until they are loose again.

Once you have the kinaesthetic memory of this in your body, it will transfer handily to one arms swings.

Hope that helps.

Here is a drill which helps to divorce the arms from the hips. Practice this two handed

First, deadlift the kettlebell, and find your comfortable standing position, arms hanging down.

Imagine your arms are ropes, simply a connection from your shoulder to the bell.

Then, move the bell by hinging (just a little way) and then standing back up. Focus on keeping the arms loose. The bell should travel, maybe 10 inches or so.

Repeat these 'micro swings' until the arms are completely relaxed, then extend the movement, going for a bigger hinge and more of a snap. Remember to monitor the arms.

Repeat until you are swinging the bell to shoulder height. If, at any point, you feel your arms, back off until they are loose again.

Once you have the kinaesthetic memory of this in your body, it will transfer handily to one arms swings.

Hope that helps.
I will start practicing this today. Much much appreciated!!!!! Thank you

You are correct. I'm using my arms a little to bring the bell up. I'll work on the 2 arm swing more to better understand the form. Thank you
When you correct the hinge mechanics your hip power will increase as well. The increased drive from the hips will reduce your tendency to raise the bell with your arms.

Welcome @HereWeGo ! Congratulations on getting started with training. Good things will follow :)

Do you have a copy of the Revised and Updated S&S? Those first few chapters will help you dial in your form, especially spending time with the kettlebell deadlift.

Welcome @HereWeGo ! Congratulations on getting started with training. Good things will follow :)

Do you have a copy of the Revised and Updated S&S? Those first few chapters will help you dial in your form, especially spending time with the kettlebell deadlift.
I been listening to the audible edition of the book and watching videos. Definitely, need to get a hard copy of it.

I been listening to the audible edition of the book and watching videos. Definitely, need to get a hard copy of it.
It's a great book, well worth the money. It was my introduction to KB and I kept milking that program for 8 months as my primary "weight training". Got stronger, got better endurance, all from that "simple" program.

It's a great book, well worth the money. It was my introduction to KB and I kept milking that program for 8 months as my primary "weight training". Got stronger, got better endurance, all from that "simple" program.
Just ordered from Amazon. Will be home by tomorrow. Thank you!!!!

Lady's and gentlemen, it has arrived!!!!!!!! Thank you. Will keep you posted of the progress and hopefully in the near future of another swing and tgu form check. Thank you!!!!

Attachments

• 16180911163422897474454015518702.jpg
    16180911163422897474454015518702.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 10
This is one of those books that every time I read I take away something new from it.
Thank u. Can wait to get the hip hinge mechanism on point. So far, is been one of the most difficult parts for me. For some reason, it feels like learning to dance salsa mix with ballet and trying to impersonate Ron Jeremy all at the same time. Wish me luck.

Good luck to you on your journey. I’m just starting out too.

Will be doing KB deadlifts with the 24 to help learn the hinge movement pattern, as I wait my 16 arriving to then start with swings with the 16 and begin my S&S journey.

Main things I’ve heard is to do the deadlifts as a pre-requisite, video form to review yourself in rest periods or after session or post here (as you have done), and don’t progress to 1H swings until your 2H form is very good as they’re easier to get wrong.

Good luck to you on your journey. I’m just starting out too.

Will be doing KB deadlifts with the 24 to help learn the hinge movement pattern, as I wait my 16 arriving to then start with swings with the 16 and begin my S&S journey.

Main things I’ve heard is to do the deadlifts as a pre-requisite, video form to review yourself in rest periods or after session or post here (as you have done), and don’t progress to 1H swings until your 2H form is very good as they’re easier to get wrong.
Thank you. I will be applying all y'all tips and suggestion. Definitely, your tip of doing the deadlifts (also read it on the book) is in my list. Thank you and good luck for you Sir.

Even after reading Pavel's instructions, I was rather surprised when I watched his videos. Text, even good text, does not do justice to just how snappy and violent good swings are.

It's a bit scary and counter-intuitive when you first start. One tends to be tentative and "gentle" at first, trying to ease into the move "safely", but the deeper the hinge and the more power you apply through you hips and abs the safer you are. Takes a while to believe in your heart.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom