all posts post new thread

Old Forum age and conditioning

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

inarchetype

Level 4 Valued Member
This might be tangential to the main focus of the group here, but I'll ask because the crowd at SF has my respect as some of the most knowledgeable about sports training in general:

What level of conditioning is it reasonable for a 44 year old, healthy, generally somewhat active, but lots of years away from last prior involvement in formal athletics, to expect to obtain, if willing to put a bit of work in?

In generally, for instance, would something like re-acquiring a 9 minute 2400 be a ludicrous goal?  If not, realistically, how long would someone "of a certain age", currently pretty gassed trying to hold 8 minute miles expect to get there?

It's not an entirely idle question- my not to fitness has been mostly oscillating between various SF (and predecessor org) programs (with periods of slacking off), but I've been feeling an itch to take up a sport again, and trying to get an idea regarding what I should expect to be able to do.

Sure it is reasonable.  Don't be in a big hurry though or you will likely get injured.  I have run under 9:00 for 1.5 miles several times since turning 40.  I hope to hit it again in 3-4 weeks at 47.    I like a simple, 3 phase program.  Phase 1 lasts 2-4 months and consists of frequent easy-steady paced runs.  Just slowly ramp up run mileage as your legs allow.  Nothing hard.  Keep the pace easy/steady.  Phase 2 adds in 1 tempo run initially, then two tempo runs.  Phase 2 is about 2 moths.  Early phase 2, substitute one of the steady runs for a tempo run.  Late phase 2, substitute another for a second tempo run.  For 1.5 mile training I like 5 minutes easy, 10 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy, 10 minutes hard, 5 minutes easy for the tempo runs.  The "hard" part is between 10K and 5K race pace.  Then you move to phase 3.  In phase 3 you substitute one steady pace run for hard track intervals.  You do this once per week, in addition to your two tempo runs.  Any other running should be easy/steady.  Start with 1/4 mile repeats for the track intervals and work to 3/4 mile repeats.  Phase 3 lasts 4-6 weeks.  At the end of phase 3, run 1.5 miles (or 2400) and see where you are.  If you want to see this broken down in more detail go to prevost-training.blogspot.com and look on the right side of the page for the "endurance training programming" document.  This is the basis of the program I used with hundreds of midshipmen at the Naval Academy training for the 1.5 mile physical readiness test run.  Worked great.

Anyway, I think you can do this.  You'll never know until you try.

Greg, conditioning is specific.  If running is to be your sport, then follow a running program; if not, what sport are you considering?

There are lots of solid running programs out there.  I like the book by Jack Daniels entitled, "Running Formula."  It helped me set a lifetime PR at age 45.

Running times have a lot to do with genetics, IMHO, as do a lot of other hard numbers in sport performance.  My neighbor across the street used to run a 17 minute 5k when he was younger - no amount of training on my part now or ever is going to see me produce those kinds of numbers.  The great thing about the Daniels book is that it takes recent race performances and gives very specific training zone numbers to be used in order to improve your next race.

A good approximation for you may be to look at existing records - look at the record for the distance you're interested in, and see how the numbers change with age.  I think you'll find some pretty stellar performances by 40-44 year old athletes, not a lot slower than open age group records.

JMO.

-S-

Many thanks for the advice, and the helpful information.  As for which sport, not running per se, but one code of football or another (not gridiron, of course).  I grew up playing Union, but am not sure if I am still up for that level of abuse - there are a couple of other possibilities that have clubs with less competitive/social side/lower division sides near where I live.

Thanks to both of you for pointing me towards the right resources.  At the very least it will be interesting to see what kind of engine can be worked back up to at this point, as I haven't done anything formal of that sort in a very long time.   Then we'll see what is reasonable.

Thanks again.

Greg,

I say go for the 9 minute 2400 and playing Union again. As Mike says - you;ll never know until you try.

Dave

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom