all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Airborne Lunge and Pistol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I'll be undergoing a big change next summer as I prepare to move from Hawaii and back to Florida to be nearer to my family as I transition from Active Duty to Reserve service. As such I've been looking heavily into bodyweight training methods for that time where my household goods (including my kettlebells) are in storage and the like. I immediately read into my copies of Naked Warrior and Beyond Bodybuilding's chapter on calisthenics. In particular I've been reading and re-reading the section detailing tension and grease the groove in Naked Warrior in particular.

@Neuro-Bob posted this article about the pistol (linked here) that I found as excellent food for thought. I have a clean bill of health in terms of joints and the like and have good form for the squat/front squat in terms of the article's pre-requisites. As to the 100 consecutive bodyweight squats, I've not tested that yet, and that might be the first bodyweight only session I do as a baseline.

When it comes to single leg exercises I've found lunges to be easier for a whole host of reasons to be easier than pistols or attempting them has been for me. In my Muay Thai class we use a lunge variation as part of our post pad-work conditioning drills that emphasizes an upright stance, keeping the core 'zipped up' and the like.

Since I find lunges easier to execute I might start in with getting proficient on the airborne lunge as my first real foray into single leg work. I've been curious about the Airborne Lunge as a way to drill single leg movements. Is it transferrable to the pistol?

Some people have mobility restrictions that they need to work on to achieve a pistol. Starting with the airborne lunge while working on GTG pistol progressions might work. Note, I have only achieved a negative pistol. Something really useful to test is whether you can do a squat with your feet almost together. This will tell you a lot of what you need to work on.

They are both squat-ish movements, and both unilateral. I think it would be hard to argue that there ISNT any carryover.

Personally, the recommendation in naked warrior to learn pistols from the bottom up worked best for me. Actually for OAOL push-ups too. Use assistance to get yourself into the bottom position, and hold it with that assistance. Eventually learn to hold the bottom position without assistance. Eventually press up 1/4 of the way from the bottom position, then 1/2, then 3/4, then all the way up and 1/4 down, etc.

Feel free to just continue lunging though. No Weights, Big Wheels

Hello,

IMHO, yes there's a transfer from lunge to pistol (and vice versa).

Excepted if you really do a slow eccentric on the pistol, I agree with @Mark Limbaga on the fact that Airborne pistol generate more tension.

Even if it does not really make it a hip hinge move, so I also agree with @Neuro-Bob , I found the Airborne put more effort on lower back and hamstring. It remains an excellent move.

Once proficient at it, you can even do it on an elevated surface (chair, box, etc...) to get more ROM (while grabbing your non working leg).

Kind regards,

Pet'

The airborne lunge always seems like it’s more applicable to real life needs than a pistol to me. That said, a pistol looks cooler and clearly both can be effective.

Strict, high box step ups might also be an option.

Personally, the recommendation in naked warrior to learn pistols from the bottom up worked best for me. Actually for OAOL push-ups too. Use assistance to get yourself into the bottom position, and hold it with that assistance. Eventually learn to hold the bottom position without assistance. Eventually press up 1/4 of the way from the bottom position, then 1/2, then 3/4, then all the way up and 1/4 down, etc.

I actually did a trial run (2 sets of 3 repetitions) with the bottom position full pushup then pushing one arm out as a lever to one side before pushing up with the other arm. Thanks for the recommendation, and per my heart rate monitor that pushed my heart rate up to 166 BPM thanks to keeping my body tight.

I actually did a trial run (2 sets of 3 repetitions) with the bottom position full pushup then pushing one arm out as a lever to one side before pushing up with the other arm. Thanks for the recommendation, and per my heart rate monitor that pushed my heart rate up to 166 BPM thanks to keeping my body tight.
Glad it worked for you!

I've found lunges to be easier for a whole host of reasons to be easier than pistols

Pistol Squats

This movement increase strength more so in the Stabilizer Muscle, rather than the Primary Muscles.

As we know, Progressive Overload is one of the keys to increasing strength and size.

Thus, a Pistol Squat provide a Progressive Overload with the Stabilizer Muscles.

However, the the Primary Muscle are Underloaded. That means that maximal gains in strength and size are not optimized with a Pistol Squat.

Lunge Squats

Lungs Squat provide more stability in training the lower body.

Secondly, there is still some muscle involvement from the back leg in the Lunge; allowing a greater load to be used.

Take Home Message

1) Stability Muscle Training

Movements that are unstable place more of the overload in the Stabilizer Muscles.

Examples

Pistol Squats, One Leg Step Ups, One Arm Overhead Pressing, etc.

2) Primary Muscle Training

The more stable a movement is, the greater the involvement of the Primary Muscles in the exercise.

Extreme Examples

Leg Press, Smith Machine Exercises, Machine Training Exercise, etc.

Airborne Lunges

This a Speed and Power Movement, rather than a Strength Exercise.

Stretch Reflex Training

Research shows that up to 18% more force is produce when the Stretch Reflex is engaged in a movement; dependent on the Load.

Thus, If a lifter drop down into the hole in a Lunge and quickly rebounds back, greater Speed and/or Power is developed. The Stretch Reflex providing a Rubber Band Sling Shot Effect.

Ballistic Training

Ballistic Training means that a body or object needs to go airborne; such a Airborne Lunge Jumps.

One of primary benefits of going Ballistic/Airborne in a Movement, is that Speed and/or Power is developed through a greater range of the Exercise.

That because to go Ballistic, the Muscle must fire from the bottom of the movement to the very end of it to ensure you leave the ground in a Jump or in launching an object.

high box step ups

Step Ups

This is great exercise

1) Stability Muscle Step Ups

The balance issue in performing Step Up and Weighted Step Up, places the workload on the Stabilizer Muscles.

My suggestion is to perform Weight Step Up using a Dumbbell.

2) Primary Muscle Step Ups

The workload is shifted to the Primary Muscle in a Step Up by holding on to the side of a Power Rack or something else.

A secondary benefit to this exercise is allows you to overload the muscles through a greater range of the movement, via...

Ascending Strength Training

Ascending Strength Training means that certain exercises are harder in the bottom part of the movement and easier at the top end of the movement. That is one of the benefits in using Bands and/or Chains with these exercises.

By holding on, to let's say a Power Rack, when preforming a Weighted Step Up, a lifter can use a heavier Dumbbell.

The lifter driving up in the Step Up with the legs, while at the same time by pulling up on the Power Rack go initiated the the leg drive.

As you ascend upward, allow the workload to shift more to the leg by decreasing the pull on the Power Rack.

Doing so, ensure the leg is overload through a greater range of the movement.

This Issue All Exercises

Research by Dr Gideon Ariel, determined the in all exercises, the Muscle Overload only occurs in approximately one-third of an of it.

That means the remaining two-third of the muscles are Underloaded and not fully developed.

Thus, for maximal strength and size development, muscles need to be progressively overloaded throughout the full range of the exercise.

Last edited:
I kinda ended up in a similar position & ended up running Tom Furman Armor of War.

I played around with different exercise variations in all the exercises to get the right intensity/rep range.

I have settled on band supported pistols as a harder progression than the classic Airborne lunge/skater squat with the foot raised but not held.
I don't know if I have the flexibility for foot held skater squat.

Also in this situation I find a nice selection of jumpstretch bands are your friend.

What I was going to add is I find the Airborne lunge feels more like a low bar back squat Vs the pistol a deep front squat in terms of muscles worked.
The lunge his my glutes more/makes them more sore which is bro science way of assuming they did more work

Some updates of me on this programme here in the last pages

I’ve always called airborne lunges “shrimp squats,” but semantics….
Anyways, I’ve always had great ankle/hip mobility and butt to heel pistols were never super challenging for me. That being said, I find a difference in how my legs muscles work between the airborne lunge and the pistol. The pistol feels more “mobility heavy,” and you could argue that it takes the muscles through a greater range of motion. The airborne/shrimp, however, feels like it takes more strength for me to perform. Also, each movement can be scaled or leveraged differently if needed.

The pistol is usually scaled by counterbalancing a weight in the hands, or sometimes done off of a box. The airborne/shrimp is usually scaled by either touching the back foot down before the knee, or by leaning farther forward, or a combination of both.

As far as transferability, I think that would depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses, namely things like hip and ankle mobility. I agree with the above sentiment that the pistol is more like a front squat and the airborne is more like a back squat. I’ve ever seen the latter compared to a single keg trap bar deadlift. If pistols are easy, concerning the requisite mobility, I would advance by doing airborne/shrimps without touching the back foot to the floor; only touch your back knee to the floor. Progress by holding the back foot closer closer to your butt, and also by going deeper into a deficit.

Here’s a pic of Ido portal doing a deep deficit shrimp/airborne. If you want an awesome lower body goal, and want a minimalist approach, this is what I’d shoot for:
1639782115221.jpeg

I’ve always called airborne lunges “shrimp squats,” but semantics….
Anyways, I’ve always had great ankle/hip mobility and butt to heel pistols were never super challenging for me. That being said, I find a difference in how my legs muscles work between the airborne lunge and the pistol. The pistol feels more “mobility heavy,” and you could argue that it takes the muscles through a greater range of motion. The airborne/shrimp, however, feels like it takes more strength for me to perform. Also, each movement can be scaled or leveraged differently if needed.

The pistol is usually scaled by counterbalancing a weight in the hands, or sometimes done off of a box. The airborne/shrimp is usually scaled by either touching the back foot down before the knee, or by leaning farther forward, or a combination of both.

As far as transferability, I think that would depend on your individual strengths and weaknesses, namely things like hip and ankle mobility. I agree with the above sentiment that the pistol is more like a front squat and the airborne is more like a back squat. I’ve ever seen the latter compared to a single keg trap bar deadlift. If pistols are easy, concerning the requisite mobility, I would advance by doing airborne/shrimps without touching the back foot to the floor; only touch your back knee to the floor. Progress by holding the back foot closer closer to your butt, and also by going deeper into a deficit.

Here’s a pic of Ido portal doing a deep deficit shrimp/airborne. If you want an awesome lower body goal, and want a minimalist approach, this is what I’d shoot for:
View attachment 15586

Interesting how he's up on his toes while doing it.

I found I would also sometimes do that with the lunges whereas pistols I am nearly always more heel biased.

Interesting how he's up on his toes while doing it.

I found I would also sometimes do that with the lunges whereas pistols I am nearly always more heel biased.
That pic is a bit hard to see. I think he has his heel off the edge, but the heel isn't raised like in a hindu squat, for instance. I only know them heel down. In my experience, a deep shrimp/airborne requires even more ankle mobility than a pistol. It's not nearly as common, but if you look at enough pictures of people doing pistols, you will see that some can do them with a more vertical shin. I imagine that proportions might play a role there, though.

That deep shrimp squat though..... I think you need good mobility at the ankle to do it as pictured. It's even harder if you try to stay more upright rather than lean forward.

For instance, my left ankle is slightly less mobile than the right (likely from skateboarding wipeouts when I was young) and consequently deep shrimps on my left side are significantly more challenging.

To quote Max Shank’s «Ultimate Athleticism” on the Airborne lunge (pg. 100): “This move is like the weird cousin of the single leg squat that nobody remembers around the holidays. The single leg squat, or pistol, is revered by many as the supreme single leg strength exercise. I believe this opinion is shortsighted in terms of strength and athleticism.” He goes on to say that the airborne lunge is closer to the deadlift, which is a plus in his book, puts less strain on the knee and lumbar spine, puts more focus on the glutes and is a lot easier to load up on compared to the pistol. Shank seems to prefer adding more weight to the shrimp squat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom