all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Alternate programming for Naked Warrior?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

the hansenator

Level 6 Valued Member
I've been wondering this for a while; If you wanted to follow NW but it's not practical to gtg throughout the day, is there an alternate programming that's recommended? Like a brief, daily workout in the tradition of ptp or S&S?

Aha! Someone's asking for the programme I've put together and started following myself!

Superset OAPUs and Pistols.

Start with ladders of 1,2,3, and gradually work up to ladders of 2,3,5 (I.e. One extra rep per ladder per session as it gets easier).

Do three ladders with 3 minutes of rest between ladders.

When 3x(2,3,5) becomes easy, start over at 3x(1,2,3) with a more difficult variation of each drill.

Enjoy! I took inspiration for this from Pavel's 'strength aerobics' article. It's great for both strength development and A+A conditioning in a short time frame.

My bad, at present I'm alternating it with days of S&S swings. Although I definitely feel it could be done daily; it gives more than it takes, much like S&S does. I alternate it as I do at present so that I'm prepared for when an occasion might come where I'm away from my KBs, without losing out on the conditioning benefits, in which case I'd do the Strength Aerobics workout daily.

@Rayhzel thanks for the kind words! It works well when equipment is limited but it's also not convenient to GTG! And/or if conditioning is very important to you.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I always found the whole "10-20 daily sets" to be far more volume for me personally, than I ever needed for OAPUs and Pistols. I don't do OAPUs anymore, but when I did, I trained them 3 times a week, for 3-5 sets. I found that to be plenty for me, and I added reps every week pretty much.

For weighted Pistols, I started doing exactly what you mentioned. A Linear PTTP cycle. I do them 4 times a week, a set of 5 first, then another 5 with 90% of the weight (BW+added weight combined). It's been going pretty well so far. I started with a top set of 5 with 20 lbs added, and now I'm at a top set of 5 with 45 lbs. My max before starting was 1 rep with 60 lbs added. A set of 5 with 45 lbs is much harder than 1 rep with 60 lbs, so I know my max is definitely a bit higher. When I start missing reps, I'll cycle down again.

That's 5x2x4 = 40 pistol reps per side weekly. I find that to be plenty for me. Perhaps it can be for you as well? :)

I'm finding mixing the Naked Warrior stuff, which is hard to do a lot of, with a lot of regular pushups is keeping me in very good shape.

If GTG is not feasible, you can do 3x a week waving the load (different progressions) in an Easy Strength fashion 2x5, 5x2, 3x3, 1x10, 10x1 or even do ladders as stated above. But I highly recommend waving the load, (med day, light day, heavy day)

Interesting subject, this is what I did:

About a year and a half ago I decided to check if I could still do a OAPU and failed miserably. I had the skill very comfortably about 10 years ago, when I was into strenght training, obviously that didn´t help very much in the present day. So I decided to start training again and have been surprised how elusive the skill has been to regain. I had to start at a very high elevation when I took up practice (a humbling experience I must say..). I have followed a kind of modified easy strenght regimen as I can´t follow a GTG plan due to certain work restrictions. I did OAPU, pistols and pull ups 5 days a week, never to failure, waving the load through the days. That worked pretty well for me. I did my first OAPU:s (right and left arm) last week and have progressed significantly on the pistol (a feat I have never been even close to before due to some major imbalances) and I can do them to just below parallel (but not all the way down). Pull ups have always been a favorite lift of mine so I never really focused on them, they just kind of went a long. I managed to work up to a tactical pull up with 32 kg.

I am sure there are better ways to do it, and definitely quicker ways then it has been for me. But it at least worked for me with doing 5 planned sessions a week that never took more than 30 minutes. Practice never really felt hard, probably toughest part is just having the patience to stay on track. In hindsight I should probably have switched lifts now and then and not just grinded along with the same lifts, but it can be really hard when you get focused on completing a certain feat.

Now work requirements have put even more demands on my life so I will probably need to cut training down even further. I´m thinking maybe 3 times a week. Not really sure how I am going to structure it though, so any suggestions are welcome. Eventhough I completed the OAPU I still feel I need to work a bit more on it from a slight elevation to really master the move and the pistol is probably still a couple of months back. When I read other peoples accounts on how they succeded at these feats I feel like it has taken an awfully long time for me, which leads me to think that my approach maybe leaves alot of room for improvement?

cheers
Marty

To all interested I recently bought and skim read Beyond Bodybuilding (a good read, even if you couldn't care less about bodybuilding like myself); the '3 to 5' approach may be suitable, as it seems to be aimed specifically at those with time constraints whilst also allowing you to pick drills, splits, set and rep schemes to suit you.

If I'm traveling with no access to kb's, I combine some mobility work with aerobic running, oap variations, and pistol variations. I either do singles, ladders, or pyramids and use some planks to reinforce my bracing every couple sets. Will throw in pull-ups if I have somewhere to hang from. This will either be interspersed within run, before, or after, depending on facilities. Seems to be a good maintenance program when I am away. Feels like I keep my strength and catch up on aerobic and a&a protocol cardio.

@Rambro1* ... I travel a fair bit and my training protocol whilst on the road is pretty much exactly as you describe yours. If I can find a rock climbing gym or preferably outdoor climbing I will opt for that. Otherwise it's: Tai-Chi, running, OAPU, pistols, (pull-ups if available) and a mix of Super Joints, Flexible Steel, Relax Into Stretch, and Original Strength Resets.
There's never really any excuse not to train...

Currently doing the suggestion in the blog article strength aerobics but with bw option and S&S. Ladders of OAOL push up, pull accentuating one arm and an airborne lunge rather than a pistol and waving the loads with S@S the following day. It's strength day, S&S, off, strength, S&S, off, off. Really enjoying it. I've had to take down my rings in the house for reasons which make me angry, still, I'm fortunate to have a pull up station outdoors in a nearby university that no one ever uses, so I've claimed it. Being outdoors in Scotland usually involves horizontal rain so I sneak an additional day off if that's the case. Don't mind running in rain or doing anything else but standing nasal breathing for a few minutes between sets is a step too far and a bit crap even if I'm accused of being a wimp. A dry wimp is better than a wet wimp. I do a range of mobility, super joints and movements on off days, easy stuff. And, for me, right now, it's perfect.

Spider man crawling forward/backward 3x a week for 10-15 minutes and at least 1 day of that with an 85# chain in tow got me to the OAPU and almost now to the OAOLPU. YMMV.

Aha! Someone's asking for the programme I've put together and started following myself!

Superset OAPUs and Pistols.

Start with ladders of 1,2,3, and gradually work up to ladders of 2,3,5 (I.e. One extra rep per ladder per session as it gets easier).

Do three ladders with 3 minutes of rest between ladders.

When 3x(2,3,5) becomes easy, start over at 3x(1,2,3) with a more difficult variation of each drill.

Enjoy! I took inspiration for this from Pavel's 'strength aerobics' article. It's great for both strength development and A+A conditioning in a short time frame.
the ladder concept seems very sound. I'll use it next time I follow NW.

Every day?
You can make great progress with a 3x week SFB program. If you do a BW program for too many days at too high a level (max progression) you will fry your nervous system and not make as much progress. I would recommend 3 days (my preferred method is Medium Monday / Light Wednesday / Heavy Friday)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom