all posts post new thread

Old Forum Alternative to pistol squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SupermanBeyond1938

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey everyone I hate to even post this but I'm looking for alternatives to pistol squats. I've knocked out about 8 reps on each side max however recently on my right food the achilles tendon seems to act weird. I can't really describe it but it's not a good feeling. Anyhow I want a/an alternative(s) and any advice to go along that you can provide thanks.

Full range front or back squats (barbell)

Cossacks or front squats (kettlebell)

pistols on a box, so the 'free' leg can hang down, might be worth a try. Shrimp squats and/or airborne lunges don't have you going as deep so you probably won't have as much stress/stretch on your achilles tendon.

Do you stretch your calves? There are quite a few achilles/heel/ankle issues that can be solved just by vigorously stretching your calves.

I believe that's what I'm going to have to transition to now.

No I haven't been stretching them but I think I probably should have been.

I'll probably be more comfortable using barbells and kettlebells anyhow

Acting weird seems vague. Maybe you should go see a doctor just in case.

Superman Beyond, maybe your case is similar to mine. I always practice pistols barefoot and often run in minimalist shoes. This exposes my main flaw: right ankle instability. Sometimes I have to wear orthotics to relieve the pain in my achilles tendon-in fact, I normally use them in winter when I am not training, and, if necessary, when I go running too. My orthotics have been prescribed by a doctor who, on the other hand, favours my barefoot practice provided I use my common sense and stop when in pain.

You should see a doctor. At least if, after a rest, the pain doesn't subside. Meanwhile, stretching and ice can't do any harm.

It seems you have already the pistol skill. If you can do eight with each leg, your nervous system has learned the movement. In a way, you nervous system "owns" it. At this stage, shifting to Goblet Squats, FSquats, Zercher Squats or Cossack Squats may even help you with Pistols. Another good option would be Face the Wall Squats. I noticed improvement in pistols after a short period of Goblet Squats.

Try also to hold the bottom position of the pistol for time after negatives. If your case is like mine, it is the positive upward portion of the movement what triggers the pain. Negatives and bottom isometric holds help me. Try it. It might work.

@ Santiago I should have said this before it doesn't actually hurt it just at sometimes, not all the time, feels sort of weird almost like it's being pulled.

I just did eight on each side and I think it might be my form and/or the way I'm shifting the weight because when I do weighted pistols it feels totally normal and fine.

I think I might be making a big deal out of nothing however I think I should for a short time transition to the different squats you mentioned and than test pistols again.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom