all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anabolic diet anyone?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Robster

First Post
Has anyone here tried Dipasquale’s “anabolic diet” with good results?? every time i do a bulk and cut cycle eating normally i just gain back the fat before adding significant muscle. So i wanted to try somwthing different this diet as well as NHE by Rob Faigin seem to address this issue. Just wondering if anyones tried it or would i be wasting my time. I just havent been able to make much progress the past few years since i started trying to bulk then cut.

I did it for several months, many years ago. every week I was on it I gained about a pound and lost half an inch on my waist. I only quit because I got tired of always being thirsty and having keto breath.

I was just talking about old trendy diets with another forum member and this one came up!

Its been a while, but I remember it being too fiddley for not a lot if any benefit.

Your biggest impacts are going to be getting adequate calories for your goals followed by getting adequate protein for your goals. Unless you are super competitive in your sport, the exact macro's are pretty much up to you after that. Then ranking in (roughly) descending importance of performance/ body composition impact you have food quality, meal timing, and supplementation.

In regards to gaining fat when you bulk, that is going to happen. When you get down to it there is no magic macro mix where you won't gain fat in presence of excess calories for a long period of time.

Are you training appropriately and also consuming appropriate protein? That would be the first thing I'd look at. If you are hoping to gain muscle but not training to gain muscle, you aren't going to get great results.

Has anyone here tried Dipasquale’s “anabolic diet” with good results?? every time i do a bulk and cut cycle eating normally i just gain back the fat before adding significant muscle. So i wanted to try somwthing different this diet as well as NHE by Rob Faigin seem to address this issue. Just wondering if anyones tried it or would i be wasting my time. I just havent been able to make much progress the past few years since i started trying to bulk then cut.
I think the two biggest mistakes of a bulk are eating too much and not bulking long enough. You’re really only looking at a 250-500 calorie per day surplus and a bulk is a 3-4 month affair.

The other big mistake is being too aggressive with the fat loss afterwards.

As for Anabolic Diet … pass. Too many low carb days (not great for bulking IMO), and carb cycling is something I never liked. When I’m trying to put on muscle I don’t want any days to be low calorie or low carb.

I have used it several times, each with great results. I have had several surgeries over the last 15 years for different service-related injuries and each time I wasn't going to be able to do upper body training, so I really focused on body composition while doing a lot of lunges and bodyweight squats. It worked great but I will admit, just doing straight keto is easier in the long run. After the first 14-day break-in period I would just have a high carb night on Saturday, usually beer and Mexican food. Fast until noon on Sunday and good to go until Saturday night again.

Looks interesting. Going to start running it today.

Last edited:
As somebody that gains fat easily on bulks due to having more fat cells than those that have never been significantly obese, I can say that following these kinds of carb cycling diets work for me. The only downside is, probably because of the cost of food in the last couple years, that it is really too expensive personally.

@Geoff Neupert utilizes carb cycling in his diet recommendations for some of his programs that I've read/tried with very noticable success. If and when I have the ability to afford this type of diet again I will do it again.

So, if anybody needs a board seat filled to vote your way in exchange for a handsome salary please message me directly!

Dipasquale’s “anabolic diet” with good results?? every time i do a bulk and cut cycle eating normally i just gain back the fat before adding significant muscle.
The Issues of The Anabolic Diet

I tried the Anabolic Diet for a while and had marginal results.

Research by Dr Jake Wilson (former Director of the Tampa University Human Performance Lab) determined this Cyclical Diet is counter productive.

Breaking It Down

The Traditional Cycle is 5 days on low carbohydrates then 2 days of high carbohydrates. This is a seven day cycle of 5 Low Carb and 2 High Carb days a week, each week.

It takes approximately 3 day to get into ketosis. That means that in the following 1-2 days you are in ketosis; utilizing more body fat for energy.

Thus, 2 days of Carb Loading take you out of ketosis, then it take you three days to get back into ketosis for about 2 says.

High Carb Days

Carbs trigger elevation in Insulin. Insulin is "Globally Anabolic"; it produces and increase in both muscle and body fat.

As Jay Rob, Nutritionist stated, "Insulin is a Fat Maker..."

As per Wilson's research...

Minimizing Fat Gain

After being on a Ketogenic Diel, an individual who decides to return to higher carbohydrate intake, need to do so slowly. This give the body time to reacclimate to carbohydrate intake.

Increasing carbohydrates approximately 100 gram for a few day. Then increase carbohydrate to around 200 day for a few days. This approach enable individuals to minimize fat gain.

Ketogenic Diet Misconceptions

I have been on the Ketogenic Diet since 2016 due to a metabolic condition.

1) It is for Weight Loss

There is some validity to this. A High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet decreases hunger: y0u eat less.

2) Gaining Weight

I have both lost weight and gained weight on the Ketogenic Diet by decreasing or increasing calorie intake.

At one time I gained 17 lbs on the Ketogenic Diet by dramatically increasing my calorie intake.

To gain weight on the Ketogenic Diet, I increase my daily fat intake by 120 gram. That meant that my daily calorie intake increase to 1314.

3) You can increase Strength.

The issue is that a training on a Ketogenic Diet requires a different training approach vs being on a the typical High Traditional
Western Diet.

This has to do with the...

Energy Systems

1) The Phosphagen Energy System

The Phosphagen Energy System utilize ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate)

Maximum Strength. Power and Speed Training are primarily this system.

Training Reps is this system are 5 or less, around 10 seconds.

Thus, individual on a Ketogenic Diet are able to optimize their training in the Phosphagen Energy System.

Individual on a High Carbohydrate Diet perform well in the Phosphagen System, as well.

2) The Glycolytic Energy System

This system produces energy with glucose. Individuals who perform exercises or fairly high intensive exercise or activities that last longer than 30 seconds and less than around two minutes require glucose. This group need a fairly High Carbohydrate Diet.

Hypertrophy-Bodybuilding Training on Keto

Research by Dr Jonathan Oliver determined that Cluster Set Hypertrophy is one of the optimal methods for enabling individual on a Ketogenic Diet to increase muscle mass.

Cluster Set enable an individual to primarily work in the Phosphagen Energy System. This approach minimally utilized some muscle glycogen.

The Difficulties of the Ketogenic Diet

1) The majority of individual are rarely on a Ketogenic Diet, even Cyclical one. They lack knowledge regarding the nuisances of it.

2) Due to the restrictiveness of the Ketogenic Diet, the majority of individual cannot maintain, stick to it for long.

These are the two primary reasons that I don't recommend it.

Intermittent Fasting

This is an easy and effective method for decreasing calorie intake.

Nothing to fix, just skip a mean now and then.

The Twinkie Diet

Mark Haub who teaches Nutrition at Kansas University, demonstrated to his class the primary key to weight loss is calorie restriction.

Haub lost 27 lbs on a Calorie Restricted Twinkie Junk Food Diet.

Last edited:
The two biggest mistakes of a bulk are eating too much and not bulking long enough. You’re really only looking at a 250-500 calorie per day surplus and a bulk is a 3-4 month affair.
Caloric Increase

Both Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton, independent of each other, have determined that for gaining or losing weight, an increase of increase or decrease of approximately 20% (250-500 kcal) is the most effective approach.

This approach ensures that there is a greater increase in muscle mass while minimizing fat gain or a decrease in fat while maintaining muscle mass.

Dramatically increases in calories ensure fat gain and dramatic decreases in calorie intake ensure greater muscle loss.

3-4 Month Bulk

The key to this working long term has to do with Calorie Rotation...

The MATADOR Diet

Research demonstrated that alternating Higher Calorie Intake with Lower Calorie Intake every two weeks was the most effective in maximizing fat loss and maintaining or increasing muscle mass.

A more practical approach is when progress stop, it is time for a change

The underlying mechanism for this is...

The General Adaptation Syndrome

Basically, the body learns and adapts. Once adaptation occurs, progress Stops.

Metabolic Rate decreases to the new lower calorie intake. When that occurs, weight/fat loss stops.

To increase Metabolic Rate, an individual need to slightly increase calorie intake.

When that occurs, the body will increase Metabolic Rate.

Once that happens, decreasing calories lead to a decrease in body weight/fat.
Too many low carb days (not great for bulking IMO),
Bulking On A Low Carb Diet

It is more difficult to bulk on a low carb diet for a variety of reasons.

One of the primary reason is there is a decrease in calorie intake.

As in my previous post, I gained 17 lbs on the Ketogenic Diet by increasing my caloric intake.

Last edited:
Yes. I used The Anabolic Diet back in '95/'96 after a period of extremely low fat eating. It allowed my body, for lack of a better term, to use fat for fuel again, instead of storing it.

I used NHE several years later with zero success.

Yes. I used The Anabolic Diet back in '95/'96 after a period of extremely low fat eating. It allowed my body, for lack of a better term, to use fat for fuel again, instead of storing it.

I used NHE several years later with zero success.
did u run NHE exactly as written in the book? thats what ive been following for a few weeks but i dunno if i wanna stick with it. i may give the Anabolic DIet a shot

As somebody that gains fat easily on bulks due to having more fat cells than those that have never been significantly obese, I can say that following these kinds of carb cycling diets work for me. The only downside is, probably because of the cost of food in the last couple years, that it is really too expensive personally.

@Geoff Neupert utilizes carb cycling in his diet recommendations for some of his programs that I've read/tried with very noticable success. If and when I have the ability to afford this type of diet again I will do it again.

So, if anybody needs a board seat filled to vote your way in exchange for a handsome salary please message me directly!
thats me...if i try and bulk even in a slight surplus i store fat quickly with carbs at each meal and feel fat and bloated after every meal as well.

@Robster,

The "Warrior Diet" book recommends saving carbs for last in your meal, and I've always found that a good suggestion. Have a salad or other raw veggies, then your main protein course and any cooked veggies, and save the bread/rice for last.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom