all posts post new thread

Nutrition Anabolic Response to Protein Ingestion

@JPCross thats a precious and golden way to live. The cost like you said saves money in the long run. When my wife was alive she made the best food. Broth from turkey necks, shakshuka, shuarma, lamb and turkey dishes. Sometimes she would make an Israeli salad with some hummus for breakfast. The whole neighborhood new when she was cooking. Now that she passed away. I just eat things nothing good. It’s not much fun anymore.

Have a happy and healthy new year.

I don’t doubt the original post. I just want to say, lately I have been telling myself that I am so tired of pounding down protein, and call me a wuss if you want but sopping up the blood from red meat has been grossing me out.
Well, I'd like to say that nothing in this post should suggest how much YOU (or anyone) should eat. That is something that we all have to figure out based on things like what we can afford and what we enjoy eating.

My main sources are whey, red meat and eggs. I’ll eat chicken and pork occasionally and they provide good protein but I think the way they are raised makes them unhealthy choices. I refuse to eat like the idiot bodybuilders who think they’re helping themselves by buying 10lbs. of chicken for $8.99 or $1.00 a pound ground beef from the dollar store that is nothing more than Farmer Brown’s milk cow that died in the field.

Just saying, have a good day

Edit: I would like to add that if you have a family to feed that I understand sometimes you have to purchase less expensive sources.
Renaissance Periodization came up with a Nutritional Priorities pyramid for nutrition. This priorities remain the same regardless of one's goal - health, fat loss, weight loss, performance, etc.

One of the things that they talk about is the source or composition matters, but the magnitude of that effect is relatively small compared to things like how much you're eating and what your macros look like. They suggest focusing on the things that make the biggest difference and, once that is being consistently taken care of, moving on to the next priority.

1703250525450.png

Here's lecture one from that series, from a decade ago, where he talks about it .

Well, I'd like to say that nothing in this post should suggest how much YOU (or anyone) should eat.
Thanks John, I know that is not what the OP was suggesting. Sorry if you felt that your OP was being detracted from. I just felt like talkin a little. I go now.

Thanks John, I know that is not what the OP was suggesting. Sorry if you felt that your OP was being detracted from. I just felt like talkin a little. I go now.
Oh you’re always welcome to talk! I just wanted to make sure folks didn’t read my post and start thinking they needed to eat 100g servings of protein! That would be a chore… a delicious chore…

@JPCross thats a precious and golden way to live. The cost like you said saves money in the long run. When my wife was alive she made the best food. Broth from turkey necks, shakshuka, shuarma, lamb and turkey dishes. Sometimes she would make an Israeli salad with some hummus for breakfast. The whole neighborhood new when she was cooking. Now that she passed away. I just eat things nothing good. It’s not much fun anymore.

Have a happy and healthy new year.
Very sorry to hear about your significant other; if you ever need to chat, feel free to private message me.

I appreciate the kind words as well. Because we have a big stand up freezer here and can buy in bulk, the grass fed/finished beef runs us about $5.15/lb for half a cow - which includes all of the best cuts as well. We do spend a bit more on some of the other things than what is found in the grocery store on most occasions but we see it as an investment, and one worthwhile to make.

Game changer! Thanks John. Suits folks like me while like to get all their calories (and macros) in a few sittings, rather than the whole 5-6 smaller meals approach.

I suppose I can now justify my normal fifth helping of meat during our silly season sit downs as an anabolic necessity.

Well, I'd like to say that nothing in this post should suggest how much YOU (or anyone) should eat. That is something that we all have to figure out based on things like what we can afford and what we enjoy eating.

Renaissance Periodization came up with a Nutritional Priorities pyramid for nutrition. This priorities remain the same regardless of one's goal - health, fat loss, weight loss, performance, etc.

One of the things that they talk about is the source or composition matters, but the magnitude of that effect is relatively small compared to things like how much you're eating and what your macros look like. They suggest focusing on the things that make the biggest difference and, once that is being consistently taken care of, moving on to the next priority.

View attachment 23504

Here's lecture one from that series, from a decade ago, where he talks about it .

I need to save that photo

View attachment 23504

John, what does Composition refer to in the pyramid?

John, what does Composition refer to in the pyramid?
Where you are getting your calories/macros from, and more specifically how you can manipulate the sources to effect your nutrition state. For instance, if in a meal you are shooting for 50g of carb - is that a can of Coke, or some cookies, or some pasta, or fruits and veggies?

It also includes things like protein sources, types of fats, etc.

Personally I think the composition is a little more important than is shown on this pyramid and would probably it list it as more important than timing.

Another aspect of composition - that I would say is less important than timing - are things like Organic, Local, Free-Range, etc.

Back
Top Bottom