all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Ancient training methods

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abishai

Level 5 Valued Member
I just found references to accounts of fast running warriors in ancient times "carving" the soles of their feet (cut the nerves) so they could run barefoot.
interesting that the "barefoot movement" in the running world is in fact a very old method.
I wonder if anyone has any opinions on specific ancient methods of training?
(besides for them being fit from labor and farmwork ect)

I just found references to accounts of fast running warriors in ancient times "carving" the soles of their feet (cut the nerves) so they could run barefoot.
interesting that the "barefoot movement" in the running world is in fact a very old method.
This thread might give you a start: Other/Mixed - Verifiably True Ancient Greek and Roman Exercises

@Kozushi and @Period seem to have a good background with "ancient" training.

Jamie Lewis (formerly Chaos and Pain, now Plague of Strength) has done a lot of looking into it. I can't really speak to how verifiable any of it is, and he seems to have an agenda he pushes, but if you're interested look him up. I used to use his powerlifting stuff back in the early 2010s and it was good, not really a huge fan of how he's trended. His site is not safe for work or minors, viewer discretion is highly highly highly advised which is why I am not linking it.

Before shoes were invented running was always barefoot.

The original Olympics was an ancient Greek event. Some of the martials arts go back a long way in time.
The physical form of Yoga is much younger than some believe and has evolved (which can be a good thing) a lot over the last 200 years.

As JohnK said above:
" @Kozushi and @Period seem to have a good background with "ancient" training."

Calf carrying is still my favorite.

Milo made serious gains by the time it grew into a bull.
Pavel said on Joe Rogans podcast that the legend of Milo of Croton is not true.
Scientificly to make consistant gains like that you would need to cycle.
not possible with a calf.
Unless Bowflex made an adjustable calf that im not aware of ;)

Milo of Croton hung out with Pythagoras. Pythagoras wasn’t just a mathematician, he was also some kind of high priest of some cult. A bunch of folk tried to kill him by burning his house and Milo knocked a wall down so they could escape.

Milo of Croton hung out with Pythagoras. Pythagoras wasn’t just a mathematician, he was also some kind of high priest of some cult. A bunch of folk tried to kill him by burning his house and Milo knocked a wall down so they could escape.

And Milo burst a band on his head just by flexing his forehead veins.

Milo had an amazing publicist.

The name Turkish Get Up is real. The movement comes from Ottoman army selection and training. I know one other way of their training as well. They were slapping mud. Heavy mud. There is a slap called Ottoman slap, which really very powerful and devastating. It is a slap that you put all your weight and arm and core behind and with an arc, you slap your opponent. When done by a novice, an easy move to evade, but I saw people who are experts on this in real life. They keep their arc very close to their body, and literally you can kimd of punch/ slap with your whole strength without breaking your own bones.

Another one again from Turkey, coming from Turkish traditional wrestlers. ( Turkish classic wrestling, is done by full body covered with olive oil, there was no points, no breaks, no time limit, some matches lasted the whole day, under hot Turkish sun) Tgos guys had to condition them selves to the bone. I know one move they were doing. Basically they were taking a huge stone from ground, kind of rack it, then throw with a push forward. They were doing this over and over, story says the whole day. Well no mention of their “program” but if whole day is true, then this means that they were following SF strength protocols :) they could only do this whole day if they really take long rests in between. Probably there GTG for this move with seriously heavy singles.

The name Turkish Get Up is real. The movement comes from Ottoman army selection and training. I know one other way of their training as well. They were slapping mud. Heavy mud. There is a slap called Ottoman slap, which really very powerful and devastating. It is a slap that you put all your weight and arm and core behind and with an arc, you slap your opponent. When done by a novice, an easy move to evade, but I saw people who are experts on this in real life. They keep their arc very close to their body, and literally you can kimd of punch/ slap with your whole strength without breaking your own bones.

Another one again from Turkey, coming from Turkish traditional wrestlers. ( Turkish classic wrestling, is done by full body covered with olive oil, there was no points, no breaks, no time limit, some matches lasted the whole day, under hot Turkish sun) Tgos guys had to condition them selves to the bone. I know one move they were doing. Basically they were taking a huge stone from ground, kind of rack it, then throw with a push forward. They were doing this over and over, story says the whole day. Well no mention of their “program” but if whole day is true, then this means that they were following SF strength protocols :) they could only do this whole day if they really take long rests in between. Probably there GTG for this move with seriously heavy singles.
Who know maybe they were doing A+A … seriously…

Who know maybe they were doing A+A … seriously…

By the way, the “slapping” again was done the “whole day” …. Hmm those guys knew a few things about how to be strong …

Can you post the article about runners carving their feet? I'd love to read that.

Bareknuckle boxers would soak their face in pickle brine to make it more difficult to cut during a fight.

Maiming and deforming themselves just to be the best.

Can you post the article about runners carving their feet? I'd love to read that.

Bareknuckle boxers would soak their face in pickle brine to make it more difficult to cut during a fight.

Maiming and deforming themselves just to be the best.
Its found it in the jewish Talmud (sanhedrin 21B) .
It says that Absalom (King Davids son) had 50 warriors run in front of him. The talmud elaborates that these warriors were very fast because they had "carved feet" and removed their spleens.
The commentary on this explains that they used to run barefoot so they needed their feet not to have nerves.

As far as the spleen I founde referrance to this from multiple sources:
Pliny- Historia naturale di C. Plinio Secondo di latino in volgare tradotta per Christophoro Landino, et nuouamente…, Gabriel Giolito di Ferrari, Venice (1543 )
“The Viscus has the characteristic of slowing down the race of men, for this reason, runners were subordinated to its burn with a red-hot iron”.
A study from John Hopkins University
(The effect of splenectomy on integration of muscular movements in the rat
Am J Physiol, 62 (1922), pp. 525-530)
Macht and Finesilver observed that asplenic mice were able to run faster than mice with an intact spleen.

I've been running in Vibram Five Fingers for 15 years or so. it's a bit more comfortable than cutting out the nerves in my sole. The shoes don't really help much against stones or large/strong thorns.

hmm, this is not me in the pic (some random www image). I have a tattoo in the same place and went through 3 pairs of the same VFF model ;)
1651215357299.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom