all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Andy Bolton swing progression

Halfakneecap

Level 6 Valued Member
I’m not very good at adding articles, but there’s a Strongfirst article called “Kettlebells and Deadlifting, A match made in heaven?”

In it, there’s a very simple swing progression based on EMOM that Andy uses to work up to 10x10 EMOM with 92kg!

I did lots of swings when I started S&S but haven’t done much in a long time, and am looking to add them back in slowly. Ive tried to jump back into what I was doing on S&S but it’s been too long, so I’m planning on just following this all year long as my only swings/conditioning. Super simple, and it starts very easily.

Just finished 6 mins x 5 reps 32kg 2H EMOM. Pretty easy, but that’s good, I have all year to work it up to hopefully 10x10 with my 36kg. If I can do that twice a week by Xmas, in addition to Strong, I’ll buy myself a 40, or 44, or 48 ? Haha.

Swings aren’t my favourite exercise, but they are just easy conditioning without too much thinking and not too intense technique wise, compared to say, the snatch.

I definitely noticed when I stopped regular swings my conditioning dropped.

I actually did the Andy Bolton swing program. He says to take it as far as you want, which for me was not 92kg. Instead it was my two highest kettlebells: An uneven double swing with 24 and 32kg. I alternated starting left or right with the heavier kb each workout. Mr. Bolton's EMOM linear progression works but I noticed the bell height got lower and lower as I added weight. The 5x5 days were gloriously short and literally "no sweat" workouts. If I wanted to get better height with my 24+32 I might backcycle to my 16+24 periodically since that was always up to shoulder level but 16+32kg and 24+32kg were not.

But did I swing my 24+32 to waist height at 10x10 EMOM? Yes I did. This program achieved my goal.

Trying this out again. I’m one of those guys that hates cardio. I do a lot of walking with my wife, but huffing and puffing, meh. Unless of course it’s something fun like surfing. But at 43, conditioning is important so I need to do more.

Re starting what I originally set out to do. Not in a rush, this morning comfortably did 5reps x 10 min EMOM with my 32. I could’ve done more reps I’m sure, but this is a secondary ( but important) goal for my training. And I want every rep to be powerful and crisp, so I’ll slowly add reps til 10x10@36kg EMOM

Swings are easy money really.

I agree. I also liked that article.

Since I have been a constant program hopper for years, I thought I should focus on one simple exercise for a longer period. My choice fell on the 2h swing.

I am currently doing 2h swing wit 40 kilo and 5 reps, and last session I did 12 sets. Im gradually working myself up to 20 sets, and then either increasing the weight, or increasing reps. I am following my own self-composed program. 1 day of this 2h swing session (and goblet squat with the same weight). Then one day with LISS on a stationary bike. Then one day of 2h swing. And then rest for one or two days.

The good thing with 2h swing is that you can really focus on power. 1h swing is a bit more technique and it is also about resisting rotational power.

I’m not very good at adding articles, but there’s a Strongfirst article called “Kettlebells and Deadlifting, A match made in heaven?”
  • Go to The School of Strength | StrongFirst.
  • Click Articles.
  • Click Authors, select Andy Bolton. (Scroll down past the "Andy Bolton and Pavel Tsatsouline" choice.)
  • You can right-click on this article, select Copy Link Address, or just click on the article then copy the URL from your browser's address bar.
Then paste it into your post here:

https://www.strongfirst.com/kettlebells-and-powerlifting-a-match-made-in-heaven/

I've edited your post to make the article title now be a live link people can click on.

-S-

What would be the difference in adaptions be between: 5 EMOM, 5 every 30 seconds or 10 reps EMOM ?

What would be the difference in adaptions be between: 5 EMOM, 5 every 30 seconds or 10 reps EMOM ?
In Q&D Pavel also says that the first scheme results in more rapid cellular fuel depletion rate (how fast your stores are shrinking), while the latter results in a greater depletion magnitude (i.e. how large a percentage of your stores are depleted).

Really liking this while I’m doing KB Strong. Twice a week. I’m currently at 6 reps x 10 min EMOM. I’m confident I could jump to 10x10 with my 32 now ( I’ve done it before ) but I’m just slowly building reps. I often try to add too much cardio and then crash, but this is 15 mins max, and I can do it on off days with no issues.

I trying out alternating:
Mon - Bolton Swing Progression
Tue - Daily dose deadlift
keep alternating for next four days, take Sunday off

With the swing progression I'm waving the volume:
Mon - 5/5 =25 total reps
Wed - 5/7 =35 total reps
Fri - 5/9.....
, then next week
Mon - 5/6
Wed - 5/8
Fri - 5/10
then next week start with 6 reps per set
Mon - 6/5
Wed - 6/7
Fri - 6/9
, keep that progression through to 10/10, with three sessions a week. I wanted to play around with Delta 20 programming and applied it to this. I worked my way through the 32k pretty easily by doing just this. The Mon session was always a nice drop down to lower volume.

the difference in adaptions be between: 5 EMOM, 5 every 30 seconds or 10 reps EMOM ?
Strength Training Concepts

One of the keys to training revolves around understanding Strength Training Guidlines in evaluating the Training Effect that it elicits and develops.

Let's break some of that down.

Types of Strength Training

1) Maximum Strength, Power, and Speed Training fall into the Phosphagen Energy System.

These Strength need Adenosine Triphosphate to elicit Force Production.

Due to the intensity of these Strength, ATP is pretty much depleted in 10 seconds or less.

Once ATP is depleted Maximum Strength, Power and Speed drop like a rock.

Thus, Lower Repetition of 1-5 Per Set are usulized with these Strengths; 5 EMOM falls into this category.

EMOM = Cluster Set Training

EMOM Cluster Sets allow for Partial Restoration of Muscle ATP; refueling the Muscles.

ATP Restoration ensure greater Force Production is generated with each 5 EMOM Set.

Training percentages

One of the things that differentiates these Strength is the Training Percentage used.

a) Maximum Strength; 85% plus of 1 Repetition Max

b) Power:

i) Traditional Strength Exercises; 46-62% of 1 Repetition Max: Squats, Presses, Deadliftes, etc.

ii) Power Movements

Olympic Movements: 70-80%

Kettlebell Swings: 30% of Body Weight and higher.

2) Hyperterophy Training

G=Hypertrophy Training used Training Percentages Moderate Load for Higher Retitions.

Hyperterophy Training falls more into Endurance Aerobic Training with Sets of 8 Repetitions and higher.

10 Rep EMOM

Thus, 10 Rep EMOM Kettlebell Swing fall more into Hypertrophic Endurance Training.

The 10 Rep EMOM falls into High Intensity Interval Training.

The paradox is this method elicits an increase in Aerobic (Endurance) and Anerobic Capacity (Strength).

While Strength is Strength and Power are increased, it is not to the same degree as 5 EMOM Kettlebell Swings.

One of the reasons is...

Lactate
Lactate isn't the same as Lactic Acid.

An increase in Lactate occur with Higher Repetition in Sets. The increase in Lactate one of the reasons for a decrease in Maximum Strength, Power and Speed.

However, the good news is that Lactate produce a downstream anabolic, muscle building effect.

Training Objective

Thus, the determinate factor in performing 5 EMOM or 10 EMOM Kettlebell Swing (which is true with other exercises) is what is your Training Obective.

1) Power

If Power is your objective, 5 EMOM should be performed.

2) Hypertrophy Endurance

If Hyperterophy Endurance is your objective, 10 EMOM should be performed.

From 0 to 100: Know Your Percentages!

This article proivde some good information on the Training Percentage for different Types of Strength Training.

Summary

Once you are able to understand basic Training Concepts, you can evalute what effect a different Training Program elicit.

Types of Strength Training

1) Maximum Strength, Power, and Speed Training fall into the Phosphagen Energy System.

These Strength need Adenosine Triphosphate to elicit Force Production.

Due to the intensity of these Strength, ATP is pretty much depleted in 10 seconds or less.

Once ATP is depleted Maximum Strength, Power and Speed drop like a rock.

Thus, Lower Repetition of 1-5 Per Set are usulized with these Strengths; 5 EMOM falls into this category.
Pavel has stated he regards 10 rep ballistics in the same strength-building class of five rep grinds. Perhaps the very short contraction time of a ballistic exercise depletes less ATP.

Just finished 6 mins x 5 reps 32kg 2H EMOM. Pretty easy, but that’s good, I have all year to work it up to hopefully 10x10 with my 36kg. If I can do that twice a week by Xmas, in addition to Strong, I’ll buy myself a 40, or 44, or 48 ? Haha.

I don't think it will take you all year, TBH.

I haven't swung with any level of intensity for, I dunno, 6 months.

But having just moved and all my gear being packed away and disassembled, I was left with my dip station and pile of KBs in my new basement.

So I did dips, 1 arm KB rows, and 10 x 10 EMOM 2H swings @ 32 kg.

HR was a lazy 102, didn't really break a sweat.

So if my middle aged butt can do that after basically not swinging in forever, I bet you could get up to 10 x 10 with 36 kg in 6-8 weeks.

10 rep ballistics in the same strength-building class of five rep grinds.
The Kettlebell Swing

The Kettlebell Swing is a quazi-ballistic movement.

Ballistic is defined as a body or object going airborne.

Grinds

A Grind falls into the Maximum Strength category. A heavy load that is moved slow.

Speed or Power Movement

The Kettlebell Swing is a Speed or Power Movement; dependent on the Training Load used.

Research by Dr Bret Contreras demonstrated with the correct loading, the Power Output rivals the Power Output of Olympic Lift Movement; which have some, if not the highest Power Outputs in sports (Research Dr John Garhammer).

Training Percentage Kettlebell Swings Loading

The determinate factor of which type Power (Power has Sub Type of this Strength) is being trained and developed is based on the Training Percentage Load, Load and Repetitions (Time).

With the Kettlebell Swing some data, that has been posted multiple time on the forum, indicate that Swings with around one third of Body Weight and higher (Contreras research demonstrate even Heavier Swings) produce the Highest Power Outputs.

The Force-Velocity Curve

This Force Velocity-Curve idenifies which type of Srength is being trained and developed.

While these Training Percentages are not compatable with Kettlebell Swing, they do provide information on what type of Strength is being trained and developed with Kettlebell Swing based on the Training Load.

Light Swing developing Speed.

Modate Load developing Power.

Heavier Swing shifting the Swing more into Strength-Speed Training; the Heavier Load slowing down the speed of the Movement.

1687338808216.png

Perhaps the very short contraction time of a ballistic exercise depletes less ATP.

Shorter Contraction Time and Lighter Loading

Shorter Contraction Time and Lighter Loads (Less Inensity) is going to depele less ATP than Longer Contraction Time Swings with Higher Repetitions and Heavier Loades (Higher Intensity) Swings.

With that in mind, a Lighter Load will not elicit and develop Power as effectively as Heavier Swings.

The Kettlebell Swing is a great Movement.

The Objective

How a Kettlebell Swing Program is written and followed has to do with The Training Objecetive.

Essentially, you want to use the right tool for the job; in this case to follow the right Training Program to elicit for the right Training Objectve.

Back
Top Bottom