all posts post new thread

Old Forum Another New Guy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ramblingjon

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi there, just wanted to comment as i have been lurking around in the shadows for a while reading the blogs and the forum.

WARNING: this is a bit of a long winded write up, so i apologise in advance

I am a 41 (soon to be 42) year old who decided to jump into kettlebell traing for a number of reasons. I moved to Calgary from Perth at the start of the year, so went from heat of summer to cold of winter. I had been doing crossfit training through a gym back in perth, but had stopped about 6 months before moving here as i just wasnt into it anymore and had dropped my days attendance at home due to family commitments with a young daughter and general life stuff. And at that stage i  was mixing it up with some kettlebell work (had a 16 and a 24 kg) and bodyweight training.

Stopping then, I then started a bodyweight only program as i wanted to have some sort of programming and was travelling along alright until the whole packing and moving to a new country thing. Anyway, we found a place in Calgary, have a basement, brought an excellent Tactical Pull up bar (great freestanding system) brought another 16, 24 as well as a 32kg kettlebell. But still  lacking some direction until i stumbled upong ETK and currently working through the ROP. In addition i stumbled upon this website and the direction of this is basically what i want to get out of KB training, getting stronger and leaner. I wanted to say that what i have seen on this website, as well as those ETK has really opened my eyes to programming etc. As that was what i really lacked any insight into!

I  am doing the C+P and pullup ladder with a 16kg KB, basically as my overhead pressing strength has never been that good.

Looking at Dan John's blog, i am looking at then doing simple and sinister and then hopefully doing ETK with a heavier bell. Depending on what i get up to i was looking at then trying some doubles (as Dan John stated). Was looking at the Kettlebell Strong (maybe title wrong) by Geoff. Hopefully I will get some improvements.No defined goals for sport or such, want to get stronger and just enjoy training and staying fit and avoiding any gimmicks with simple stuff and hard work (which is aexactly what it looks like here).

Anyway enough ranting, apologies and thanks if anyone took the time to read, i do fgrequently butsher the english language! I look forward to more lurking and occasioanlly piping up with comments, maybe some progress updates!

cheers

jon

Jonathan, welcome to StrongFirst!

If you want feedback on your pressing and/or swing and/or snatch form, take a video and post a link here.

The Rite of Passage has two stated goals, one for your press and one for your snatches.  Keep working towards those.  If you feel you've stalled, consider Kettlebell Simple & Sinister as your next program - it will, among other things, prepare you for another go at the Rite of Passage later on.

-S-

Hey Jon, good luck with the training. Like yourself, I've read these forums from the shadows for a while but the whole Strongfirst community really are one of the best you could be involved with.

Welcome. From experience I would run the programs in this order. Simple and Sinister,ROP and then take a stab at KB Strong after you get good at the single lifts.

Jonathan - your outline above is pretty close to where I was. I did ROP a couple years ago with a 16, C&P, pull up ladders for general strength, getting leaner (with diet) to improve running. Prior to finding this site and doing S&S I was doing some bodyweight, a bit of running, a bit of double kb practice, a bit there, a bit here, so a random approach. I started S&S as I was looking for something to fit in a bit more easily with a busy schedule and not to think too much about what I was going to work on. And, at the time, I was working on training for a ring muscle up and trying to get to grips with some double 16 complexes. Anyway, long story short, I just do S&S now. I've ditched everything else until I get to the simple goal. The advice here and the help and support is fantastic. And like you I want to revisit ETK with a heavier bell, and I will, and want to get into the doubles, and I will too, and I want a muscle up, and I will when I'm ready, but just taking my time with S&S. I've addressed a number of different issues and learnt so much along the way and looking forward to learn more too. If you are enjoying ETK right now, great - I really enjoyed doing it too but..........get into S&S.

thanks everyone for your comments.

alistair, S&S is definitely next. I figured that I am probably half way through ETK and will do that next. A strict muscle up is definitely a target, i am looking forward to seeing some strength gains.

Ulrik, if I was still in Perth I would have definitely looked him  up. I am now in Calgary and trying to see if there is one coming up locally. Or maybe line up a visit for when I do another trip to the states

cheers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom