all posts post new thread

Bodyweight anti-glycolytic training for pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The two programs you mention involve multiple exercises. That's not a bad thing, but if you're focused on pull ups and only need to add 2+ reps, I would check out Pavel's Fighter Pull Up Program. The program is more of a peaking program, so I wouldn't do it for more than maybe 4 weeks, but that should be enough to get you another few reps.

I agree with Snowman; Fighter Pull Ups should do the trick. Another thing you can try is to do some weighted pull ups.

If you did a peaking cycle (FPP) not too long ago, my first thought would be to simply do pull ups regularly, with enough total volume to solidify your improvements. After 3-ish months of that, run another peaking cycle. I don't know your body weight, but 18 strict pull ups is getting up there, so you may not be able to just gain, gain, gain.

To be honest, I'm not sure what kind of weekly volume would maintain where you're at, but I would think lots of sets of 6-12 reps. Greasing the groove would be a really good option for this, assuming you're in a situation where you can do 5-10 sets throughout the day. Do you have a bar at home or work? How did the FPP work the first time? If it worked, I would just GTG pull ups for a couple more months, then hit FPP again.

Edit: For what it's worth, lots of sets of 2/3 your max (or less) spread throughout the day is about as anti-gycolytic as it gets. It also has a good enough track record that it might get you where you want to go without even doing a peaking cycle.

GTG work very well for me but I haven't pull UPS bar in my office. I can perform pull UPS only in the gym. How to package GTG in one hour? :) Have you Any ideas?

Not sure about what going glycolytic means so I looked it up. This seems like a good article: The Anaerobic Glycolytic System (fast glycolysis) — PT Direct
From the article: "So, if I wanted to grow the body’s capacity I’d use a 1:6 ratio repeated often. If I wanted to teach the body to clear lactate I’d use a 1:3 ratio. If I wanted to teach the body to tolerate lactate I’d use either a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio. "

The tricky part is that doing lots of high quality volume requires time. The most convenient, but least effective way could be to do a set of pull ups every 5-10 minutes while you're at the gym, with your other "main stuff" in between. I think the next best thing, besides a pull up bar (or ledge, or whatever) at work, would be make a way to do pull ups at home. I don't know where you live, but here you can get a bar that levers into your door frame for $20-$30; they're not great, but they work. Knock out two sets in the morning before you head out to work (right after you wake up and right before you leave), then another set when you get home, followed by another set every 30-60 minutes. The idea is simply to get as much volume in as you can on most days (taking days off as you feel the need), without ever really feeling your muscles burn (hence the sets of 12 or less). I mean, you can always be the weird guy doing pull ups off the fire escape stairs or something.

I want to create the pull ups workout based on anti-glycolytic training protocol. But I don't know how to start. Maybe something similar to this? StrongFirst for CrossFit
or this Six Weeks to Strong: The SF 930 Plan - StrongFirst
My goal is 20 strict pull ups, my max in this moment: 18

I suggest you do power singles or doubles (max effort and speed) which could be lightly weighted and focus on the mechanics such as scapular retraction and full tension to prevent leakages. As a visualization, imagine that you are doing a muscle up or in an action movie where you have to vault onto a roof or over a wall. Rest 30 seconds. Repeat until your power slows down significantly. Increase frequency over the week and during the day if possible. Search CAT training by Hatfield and Chad Waterbury on neurological training and speed. Pavel mentions both of these authors with approval in the simple and sinister book and other publications. I don't know the origin of this workout said to be by Pavel The 5-Week, Whole Body Single Kettlebell Workout but it seems like the theory is heading toward lower reps at higher intensity but increased frequency will be the direction of anti-glycolytic training. Notice that this program uses sets of seven for the swing and five for the press which stays withing the 10-15 second range of alactic training.

The fighter pullup program seems like you would start to grind on the later reps, which goes against anti-glycolytic theory.

Maybe do this for a month and then test your max. If you do not improve, try another method. Be driven by your data.

However, since 18 is pretty good! You might find more value in working toward a front lever or a muscle up.

Hello,

A kind of EMOM ? For instance 10 pull ups each minutes, during 10 minutes.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom