all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Any Power Lifters Here?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oso Rojo

Level 5 Valued Member
Are there any power lifters that use the valsalva maneuver?

I'm having trouble breaking a habit of using valsalva when the load get's heavy and I'm taxed. The in and out breathing becomes almost hyperventilating on heavy swings and I keep falling back to what I know, valsalva.

Any suggestions?

I noticed that I did that with push-ups after barbell training for a while.

Just re-pattern your breathing with lighter weight, is my suggestion.

The in and out breathing becomes almost hyperventilating on heavy swings

Could you explain this further? How would your breathing (or the effects) be different heavy swings vs. moderate or light?

To fully inhale it takes me two seconds and exhale about the same. (The degree I inhale and exhale when lifting.) If 10 swings take 30 seconds then it's 3 seconds a swing. i need 4 seconds for a breath cycle. So I'm never really clearing out my lungs of all the co2 and after a while it builds up in the bottom of my lungs, just like when you hyperventilate.

@Jud Crandall hit the nail on the head. You have to learn to dial it back. I know exactly what you are talking about, though. I am capable of making myself out of breath on 1 rep deadlift.

In one of Pavels books, I forget which one, he makes an analogy of a stereo system to our bodies and strength training. I think it goes like this: The stereo device is our brain and CNS, the speakers are our muscles, and the volume knob is our intra-abdominal pressure.

If your max squat was 400 lb and you were squatting 100 lb, nothing should change with this lower weight. Not your will power, tecnique etc... However, you do not require the "volume knob" to be at 100%, so you can lower your intra abdominal pressure. If you were only doing 1 rep at this light weight, you may keep this intra abdominal pressure high. But if you did 5 sets of 20 reps, you would be forced to lower the "volume knob" or else you'd be gasping for air in between each rep.

Start by practicing with just a few swings, maybe 5. Practice just pulling in 20% of the air or 20% of the intrabdominal pressure. Experiment with different perceived %s. Unless you are just going easy (like a jog), the set should be anaerobic, not aerobic. Anaerobic meaning without oxygen. Therefore you should be breathing heavier after the set. You must replenish that oxygen from the anaerobic set.

Are there any power lifters that use the valsalva maneuver?

I'm having trouble breaking a habit of using valsalva when the load get's heavy and I'm taxed. The in and out breathing becomes almost hyperventilating on heavy swings and I keep falling back to what I know, valsalva.

Any suggestions?
Break that habit - valsalva isn't appropriate for swings. Bracing is appropriate, and valsava is bracing, but swings call for something else, as other have suggested here - great suggestions, all.

-S-

Break that habit ...
Oh, I know I'm working hard on doing that but not making much progress yet.

You might try to not "clear out" your lungs so much, as to keep a constant moderate amount of breath in there ...
The problem becomes when the 40% that I don't exhale turns into c02 and my lungs are screaming for o2. I can't keep that 40% in there. Is what your saying to only breath in 60% of the capacity so I only have to breath that back out?

Bernie

Thank you, that's makes sense now. I kept having people say only breath out 60% which means I'm stuck with 40% full of co2.

Kettlebell swing breathing is incredibly similar to what you use when rowing (either on water or on an erg).

You learn to breathe between the strokes (exhale on the pull, inhale on the catch), or 2x per stroke when sprinting.

Re-read up on the principles..

One principle that has really been a game changer for me is dominanta.

In the words of master SFG Shaun Cairns "The dominant thought is to make the lift"

Using a powerlifting analogy, if you're attempting a token lift, you won't brace as hard, tense up so much.. You'll only tense up a little bit to stay safe, make the lift then chill in the waiting area.

Same when doing other lifts, just enough to complete the set but be ready for the next

"The dominant thought is to make the lift"

That is where the wheels come off. At 32, or 36 I can track the breathing. At 40 I'm still trying to just hold on at that weight, hahaha.

Drop the reps lower with 40 then :)
I'm down to five each hand, I may be down to one, hahahaha.

I was able to get my snatch in sync tonight so that was good progress. It's still feeling a bit heavy so that was good progress. I'd say about 40% of my swings where in sync. That still leaves plenty of room for improvement.

It's hard to get an old dog to change it's ways. (The good news is I'm thinking of buying a 44.)

Break that habit - valsalva isn't appropriate for swings. Bracing is appropriate, and valsava is bracing, but swings call for something else, as other have suggested here - great suggestions, all.

-S-

Steve is 100% correct. Different tools for different purposes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom