all posts post new thread

Nutrition Anyone dislike IF?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CharlieJay

Level 2 Valued Member
I for one, actually enjoy it and have had decent results. I don't think it's some miracle diet or anything. I question everything though and I like to hear opinions from both sides. So... anyone here think that it's overrated or even total bullshit? I know this site is more about training but I would love to hear your opinions.

Yes, sometimes I do. I get hungry, and I find I'm slowing and, not thinking clearly, etc. And I go and have something to eat, and I feel better. It works most of the time for me, but not all the time.

-S-

I did it a couple of weeks at the begining of this year...did not feel well, rather sick and binge attacks in the evening (had no breakfast). Regular meals work better, I just do IF on occassion...when I am just not hungry in the morning. So on purpose anymore.
Think, women have to be careful with IF?!

I have done IF and it worked well for me, but I do think some of the benefits are quite overstated. If you look into a lot of studies that are used to justify intra-day IF, some of them are looking at 24 hour+ fasts.

IF is how I eat - I don't mean to suggest otherwise - but at the end of the day, each of us needs to find what works for ourselves, and I have, over the years, learned to be attuned to what my body needs, e.g., yesterday I was performing both morning and evening and had rehearsals besides, so I had three meals: one at 8 AM, another at 2 PM, and another at 9 PM. And I woke up weighing _less_ today than I weighed yesterday. But today, it will be a little almond butter this morning, a protein bar midday, and then my only meal will be dinner.

-S-

Agreed with @Steve Freides

I choose to do IF and sometimes I end up being hungry so I eat. The best part about IF is that it taught me what it was like to actually be hungry and it also fixed my insulin levels. I also love the alertness I have while fasting. Find what works best. IF is only one way to balance your intake not the only way.

I did it a couple of weeks at the begining of this year...did not feel well, rather sick and binge attacks in the evening (had no breakfast). Regular meals work better, I just do IF on occassion...when I am just not hungry in the morning. So on purpose anymore.
Think, women have to be careful with IF?!

Some suggest that women can typically go even longer than men while doing IF. People say lots of things though. I'm no expert but I generally suggest people cut out all sugar until they're used to it, then refined carbs, THEN start doing IF but with bigger eating windows until you get used to that.
But I have no idea what your diet is like. I know a guy who tried it for spiritual reasons and he got crazy sick but I know exactly why. He eats like garbage. Lots of cereal bars and the like every day.

@elli, it took my wife much longer to adapt to IF than it did me, FWIW.

I still like the way the Warrior Diet describes things: it's called under eating, not fasting.

-S-

I feel the same way as you guys for the most part. I like it but it's not a cure-all or something. One of my favorite things about it though is that my hunger is very controllable once I've been doing it for a few months. I never feel like I'm starving.

I find I get really cold hands and feet on IF.
Some say that this is because more of your blood has moved into your visceral fat to liberate fatty acids. Once again, these are just claims by IFers. But yeah, I get that too. It's not horrible and it doesn't bother me though.

I think, on the long run fasting with drinking coffee AND ignoring hunger will crash your kidneys and mess up hormones in the female body. I have read critical things about women and IF. There are good aspects about it, no doubt. But it depends on your constitution. I am a big fan of the TCM and their approach to eating.
Again, IF occurs narurally to me, forcing it did not do me any good and I am a really healthy and clean eater most of the time;).

Pavel, as someone who seems to be busy (you do s&s, train people, and do martial arts training) do you do strict fasting during the day or do you have a few recovery drinks/shakes?

@HUNTER1313 , as needed. No drinks or shakes thought, regular food. There are few different models of IF - I usually (usually) go 16/8, it suits me best.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom