all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Anyone into bending steel or grip training?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JW513

Level 5 Valued Member
I got back on S&S and i'm staying on it until i can do everything with the 32kg...... But I don't care how long it takes, as long as im always moving forwards. I've also gotten into grip stuff the last couple years... I think they compliment each other... I bought some 60d nails last week, and so far I've bent 4 pretty easy.

My forearms are real sore.. I also have gotten into sledge levering and swinging... I feel like its a great combination of being strong and fit..

I got back on S&S and i'm staying on it until i can do everything with the 32kg...... But I don't care how long it takes, as long as im always moving forwards. I've also gotten into grip stuff the last couple years... I think they compliment each other... I bought some 60d nails last week, and so far I've bent 4 pretty easy.

My forearms are real sore.. I also have gotten into sledge levering and swinging... I feel like its a great combination of being strong and fit..
If you go on Amazon there is all kinds of grip tools that can be attached to chin up bars. I have wooden balls, cylinders, a pinch hub and climbing finger boards. All can be hung from a chinning bar.

I got into grippers for a while. Ended up getting Mash Monster level 0 on the Gripboard. They are really addicting, but I mainly use them along with Ironmind bands for GTG work.

I imagine @Brett Jones could give you some good ideas.

Never got into nail bending, but do a lot of axle, beam bar, and single grip implement deadlifts. Fun stuff for me.

I always loved grip stuff. Thick bars, rolling thunder, etc. Nevet really took it too seriously, but it's fun and addictive

I dabbled with nail bending. I bought that Ironmind kit years ago. It has been many years since I've done it.

I also have the captain's of crush and Fat Gripz barbell attachments.

I'm not too serious about it now. I just maintain my grip through my barball/kettlebell training.

I had no idea there were so many people training grip around here. I used to tear cards, grippers, pinch plates, sledge work, thick handle farmer walk, block weights, hub lifting and used blobs or block weights. I loved it.
Now that I am climbing again I am getting back into it. I mostly work on static finger strength as it carries over to climbing better, but I can still close the #2 gripper easily and in my experience this is no small feat.

I have an assortment of grip torture tools, I got into bending for a while until it started to get too expensive. I do front lever pullups and skin the cat on vertical pullup handles, rolling thunder rows, COC squeezes, heavy Indian clubs and wrist roller lifts or pullups & a few plate pinch grip lifts as exercise breaks whenever I feel like I've been sitting for too long.
I don't really do any formal training with them these days, I just "play" with them mostly. I'm not looking for elite level grip strength just better than average.

Not really surprised that there isn't a few articles on a SF approach to grip training, but it would be nice to see it added to the article library.

I tried it - bought some of IronMind's easiest-to-bend nails, blue, if memory serves, and learned to bend them. I found it too hard on my hands.

-S-

Not really surprised that there isn't a few articles on a SF approach to grip training, but it would be nice to see it added to the article library.

Former RKC Adam T Glass wrote this awesome article about how to combine grip training with kettlebell work back in the day. It focuses on a lot of stuff that is left out of the S&S program.

It is kind of odd that there aren't any articles on here about grip, if you dig through the forums there are some crazy strong people laying out some awesome advice for grip training.

I tried it - bought some of IronMind's easiest-to-bend nails, blue, if memory serves, and learned to bend them. I found it too hard on my hands.

-S-
It is, i'm still sore from Sunday... But it was my 2nd time ever bending and I bent 3 60d nails... I dont know if its because I work construction, but my hands have been fine, they are used to the abuse.... Its my forearms that are sore.... I don't want to be an elite bender, but I think, there are some great benefits to it...

I think grip and S&S is a great way to get very fit and very strong.. Plus some sprints and few bodyweight exercises and yoga... Going to stick to this routine for a long time...

I was going to get into BJJ but hurt my back earlier this year so I haven't, but I still plan on it..

It is, i'm still sore from Sunday... But it was my 2nd time ever bending and I bent 3 60d nails... I dont know if its because I work construction, but my hands have been fine, they are used to the abuse
I play musical instruments for a living, and there are some things my hands, which need to have some fairly fine motor skills, just don't like. Crushing grippers is OK but eventually bothers me, nail bending is the same, barbell hook grip is the same. In all three cases, I gave them a good try, and it was a matter of a few weeks or months before I realized that, for me, the training was taking more than it was giving.

-S-

I play musical instruments for a living, and there are some things my hands, which need to have some fairly fine motor skills, just don't like. Crushing grippers is OK but eventually bothers me, nail bending is the same, barbell hook grip is the same. In all three cases, I gave them a good try, and it was a matter of a few weeks or months before I realized that, for me, the training was taking more than it was giving.

-S-
I play guitar, although not for a living... So I get it, that's why I try not to be too aggressive with the training... Grippers are real tough on the hands, I can't progress with them fast at all, so far they are the only things that sorta bother my hands..

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom