all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone tried some of Pat Flynn´s workouts?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 4484

Has anyone tried his workouts/challenges? Looks like a whole lot of fun and demanding!

I've tried Beastmother a while back and is was tough as nails :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I read his blog from time to time. He got a free e-book filled with challenges. Its recommended!

If you have the time and resources, I highly recommend the Primal Workout 90-Day plan he has. That got me my best Air Force PT score of my career. It's a really good program and very flexible to varying abilities.

Pat Flynn introduced me to the evil that is rack-holds. I did his rack-hold circuit every week leading up to my SFG cert. To my surprise, I was double pressing like it was my job.

Pat Flynn has great material. Sometimes he focuses on too many smokers for my taste, but otherwise he's really good.

@MattM Holds are usually for time 30-60 secs. IMO rack hold + walking is more of a stability / breathing behind the shield challenge than just standing still.

I have a lot of materials by Pat Flynn and I have mixed feelings. Some things seem spot on, others seem like they were put there to fill the basket full, so to speak. Overall, I'd say he's quite a great resource for beginners and intermediate people (like me - I consider myself a beginner), plus he has a very efficient way of comunication, which is always a plus. His channel has really improved over the years.

I'd say he's a good resource but not a pillar, and I'm happy I have bought his material.

I took a quick look at his web site - one of the five things was our 5-minute snatch test.

-S-

If you have the time and resources, I highly recommend the Primal Workout 90-Day plan he has. That got me my best Air Force PT score of my career. It's a really good program and very flexible to varying abilities.

Sounds great! I looked for the 90-day plan but with no luck. Do you have a link?

used a lot of his material when I prepped for my level 1 years ago

Did you use the complexes in his free e-book?

I took a quick look at his web site - one of the five things was our 5-minute snatch test.

-S-

Great that you found something you liked Steve! His does a good job, as others stated in this thread, to promote solid kettlebell stuff. He also puts forward stuff from Dan John like his Armour Bulding complex and, believe it or not, The secret service snatch test as well as his own stuff! Great man who does what he can to spread the wonderful knowledge of kettlebell training to a wide population!

I like the snatch test - I don't like or need it explained to me by someone else.

-S-

Well, it´s not mandatory to take instructions from Pat if you don't feel like it, or if your technique is pretty flawless. To others who may be new to kettlebell training or interested in improving the snatch (or other exercise) he can be a source among others to use.

In my mind, it's the StrongFirst 5-minute snatch test, and there are plenty of resources here to help anyone who's interested.

I also don't believe it's a good workout, and that's why we don't use it as such. Most people will get injured, burn out, or both if they do this on any kind of regular basis with anything except a "barbie" light weight.

Well, it´s not mandatory to take instructions from Pat if you don't feel like it
Thank you for that, Stefan. :)

-S-

I like the snatch test - I don't like or need it explained to me by someone else.

-S-

In my mind, it's the StrongFirst 5-minute snatch test, and there are plenty of resources here to help anyone who's interested.

I also don't believe it's a good workout, and that's why we don't use it as such. Most people will get injured, burn out, or both if they do this on any kind of regular basis with anything except a "barbie" light weight.

Thank you for that, Stefan. :)

-S-

In my min, snatching a bell for five minutes is a snatch-test. If you claim it as owned or invented by SF thats ok.
But Steve, we are drifting off topic, so please try to discuss the puropse of this thread, thank you :)

For what I know Flynn was (don't know if he is) an RKC paricularly fond on the snatch test. He's got pretty astonishing numbers to his credit and many of his videos are around his perfomances, that's why I think he emphazises it so much.

That said, I concur with @Steve Freides that it is not a good workout because, for most, it requires an all out effort not endurable over time, and that's way it's a test.

As I said, Pat Flynn has a lot of things that are really, really interesting, I'd say the majority of it probably, but other ones are unnecessary. I'd say if you own Enter The Kettlebell (and S&S for the swing variation and the absolute value of the program inside of it), Easy Strength, Mr. @Geoff Neupert' Kettlebell STRONG! and Mr. @aciampa's PT manual (which I'm soon gonna open a thread about, and thank you @Miguel for mentioning it and getting me to know it), you really wouldn't need anything else to train for a really extensive period of time with kettlebells. Everything else (Flynn's work included) is a welcome addition but not much more than this.

Is it resourceful? Yes, definitely.
Is it necessary? Not even close.
Would I recommend it? Yes, but only after having read the aforementioned publications, Neupert's MKM (if you like complexes - Flynn's work heavily involves them) and Kettlebell burn (I own extreme!, don't know about the others) and ALL the articles in this website. This is particularly true to me and I feel it's a very underutilized tool: there's not only TTC in here, folks, there is a vast number of programs and/or ideas to program your training around. Let me give you an example for clean and jerk kind of people:

The Ultimate Kettlebell Exercise for Martial Conditioning

For what I know Flynn was (don't know if he is) an RKC paricularly fond on the snatch test. He's got pretty astonishing numbers to his credit and many of his videos are around his perfomances, that's why I think he emphazises it so much.

That said, I concur with @Steve Freides that it is not a good workout because, for most, it requires an all out effort not endurable over time, and that's way it's a test.

As I said, Pat Flynn has a lot of things that are really, really interesting, I'd say the majority of it probably, but other ones are unnecessary. I'd say if you own Enter The Kettlebell (and S&S for the swing variation and the absolute value of the program inside of it), Easy Strength, Mr. @Geoff Neupert' Kettlebell STRONG! and Mr. @aciampa's PT manual (which I'm soon gonna open a thread about, and thank you @Miguel for mentioning it and getting me to know it), you really wouldn't need anything else to train for a really extensive period of time with kettlebells. Everything else (Flynn's work included) is a welcome addition but not much more than this.

Is it resourceful? Yes, definitely.
Is it necessary? Not even close.
Would I recommend it? Yes, but only after having read the aforementioned publications, Neupert's MKM (if you like complexes - Flynn's work heavily involves them) and Kettlebell burn (I own extreme!, don't know about the others) and ALL the articles in this website. This is particularly true to me and I feel it's a very underutilized tool: there's not only TTC in here, folks, there is a vast number of programs and/or ideas to program your training around. Let me give you an example for clean and jerk kind of people:

The Ultimate Kettlebell Exercise for Martial Conditioning

I agree that is not a workout but rather a test. Don't know why Steve called it a workout, maybe referring to what Pat called it. Anyhow ..

I have Enter the Kettlebell, S&S, MKM, Burn and extreme. I stated way back that when I reach Simple I will buy Strong. Looking forward to it! Gonna try some racked walks tonight for distance and see if its a tough as everybody says! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom