all posts post new thread

Barbell Anyone tried the AbMat Zercher Pad?

Steve W.

Level 8 Valued Member
So I've started doing Zercher squats as part of BTS3, and I've been using a section of foam pipe insulation as a bar pad. The good is that it's super cheap, fits the bar perfectly, and is thin enough so it doesn't affect the bar position much. The bad is that it doesn't provide a whole lot of padding.

I'm really growing to love Zercher squats and don't find them too uncomfortable, although I do get a couple of minor tender spots the next day. Part of me feels like it would be better to go with minimal or no padding to keep the bar deep in the crook of the elbow and I'll just adapt to it over time, but part of me is happy to use more effective padding if it exists.

I see that AbMat makes a pad specifically for Zerchers, with a triangular cross section. While it looks like it would distribute the pressure of the bar very well, I have two concerns about it based on the pictures:
--It looks like it would move the bar further up the forearm, away from the actual crook of the elbow.
--It looks like it would force you to keep the elbow more open, with a shallower angle.

AbMat Zercher Pad

Anyone have any personal experience with this pad that you could share, or general experience adapting to Zerchers long term?

I've somewhat adapted to zerchers, I think my best squat was 210kg. I never had problems holding the bar. There has been some occasional bruising, especially in the beginning, but I wouldn't say it ever was a problem.

Some people seem to have problems with the discomfort, or even call it pain. I think a part could be related to form. It's important to keep the bar close and flex your forearms.

I can wholly understand that there may be individual differences in many regards. But I hesitate to recommend harnesses or padding without giving it a thorough shot without either. Whatever is thorough depends on the individual.

Forgot to add that I have tried padding such as elbow sleeves etc, but I prefer raw skin as the bar sits closer and more stable and I don't mind the discomfort.
I find that it's important to get the bar in its final position in my elbows right at the beginning so that I can, as you suggest, flex the muscles involved and basically just keep it from rolling around. I think it's the moving that's the killer.

-S-

Some people seem to have problems with the discomfort, or even call it pain. I think a part could be related to form. It's important to keep the bar close and flex your forearms.
I suspected this was the case. It's like back in the day (over 20 years ago) when I kept trying different forms of hand protection for KB snatching, and was doing all sorts of callus care. At a certain point it became a non-issue.

I wouldn't bother with the pad.
whenever I try to change something to make zerchers more comfortable it doesn't really work out.
Axles, sleeves, towels, etc all seem to make it more uncomfortable.

If comfort does become a problem there are other squat variations available like front squats and the variations on that like zombies.

Back
Top Bottom