all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone use jump squats

Jtminster

Level 1 Valued Member
I see jump squats in the SEE manual and mentioned in another thread, AXE jump squats. I’ve watched some videos and they look like jump deadlifts. Seems like a good way to get injured.

Anyhow can anyone share their experience? I ‘m thinking step ups may be a better choice.

I see jump squats in the SEE manual
SEE

What this acronym stand for and define it.

mentioned in another thread, AXE jump squats.
AXE Jump Squats

What was mentioned about AXE Jump Squats?

Does AXE Training even involve them?

Seems like a good way to get injured.
An Optimal Method of Developing Power

Weighted Jumps with Moderate Load is an optimal method of Developing Explosive Power.

Anyhow can anyone share their experience? I ‘m thinking step ups may be a better choice.
Step Up

This is a great method for developing Strength and Increasing Muscle Mass.

However, Ballistic Step Up are develop Explosive Power.

Ballistic meaning a object or body need to go airborne.

Example

Strong Endurance Express.

AXE jump squats were mentioned in the combining ROP and AXE post.

Thanks for the video, much appreciated.

I used to use them. Would check how high my head went in a mirror relative to a mark on the wall behind me - terminate the set when height began to drop.

Honestly, grindy squats with more weight seemed to work better, but jumpers are a valid exercise. Jumping lunges worked better.

I use jump squats in my workouts, though I don't know how they show them in the endurance manual and I haven't done them with strict AXE protocols. I do them a number of ways: goblet squats, single and double KB squats, single and double KB thrusters, lunges and Hindu squats. The last few weeks I've doing them in strength aerobic circuits with swings, DB snatches, and push presses.

I've found there are two different ways to jump: accelerate upwards until the jump off the ground happens when you reach maximum speed in the last few inches of the ROM, or try to hit maximum speed instantly like you're jumping off the bottom of the ROM. I find the best adaptations happen when do the second method.

I used to use them. Would check how high my head went in a mirror relative to a mark on the wall behind me - terminate the set when height began to drop.

Honestly, grindy squats with more weight seemed to work better, but jumpers are a valid exercise. Jumping lunges worked better.
I agree, heavy grindy squats work. But I have no desire anymore to get under a 300# bar. Ive run out of weight for goblets and looking for an alternative. Split squats are a balancing act for me. Maybe I’ll go back to OHS. Maybe step ups as Kenny suggests.

I use jump squats in my workouts, though I don't know how they show them in the endurance manual

Endurance Jump Squats

...doesn't make a lot of sense.

Using them as a mean of jacking up your heart rate works but there is a issue with that.

It is similar to...

CrossFit Endurance Olympic Movements

Olympic High Pull and Power Cleans and Snatches are Power Movements that involve a jump.

Resistance Training Movement in which a body are an object (Barbell) become airborne, develop Power through a Greater Range of the Movement.

1) Endurance Jumping Movement ensure Poor Technique is learned and developed due to Muscle Fatigue.

2) Endurance Jumping Movement elicits a different Training Effect that "Power Jumps".

Muscle Fiber Firing Sequence

With Endurance Training Jumps or any other the Muscle Firing Sequence is...

"Super Fast" Type IIb/x > "Strength Fast" Type IIa > Slow Type I.

That meaning in with Endurance Training (Bodybuilding falls into this category) the Fast Twitch Muscles are quickly exhausted; no long being employed nor trained.

The Slow Twitch Muscle Fiber (Endurance) is being developed.

strength aerobic

Oxymoron

I find Strength Aerobics and Strength Endurance to be odd terms.

Strength-Endurance See Saw

Strength is on one side of a See Saw and Endurance is on the other side.
When one goes up the other goes down.
1710844855405.png

Here is the chart on where they are in relationship to Repetitions.

1710844722032.png
try to hit maximum speed instantly like you're jumping off the bottom of the ROM. I find the best adaptations happen when do the second method.

CAT, Compensatory Acceleration
Dr. Fred Hatfield

As you state, the Concentric Movement need be performed with Maximum Speed/Power from the Start of the Movement through the Full Range. Doing so, ensure Power and/or Speed if optimally developed.

Doing so, elicit and develops the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber.

"The Intent of The Movement"

Jeff McBride's research determined that the Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber are optimally recruited when a Concentric Movement, regardless of how heavy it is, intent is to Jump with it.

"The Intent" of it is to Jump or Throw the Weight; which supports Hatfield's CAT Theory from the 1980s.

With a near Max Load in a Movement, no one is going to let's say perform a Jump Squat that load. However, "Then Intent" needs to focus on doing just that.

The Size Principle

This states the Muscle Firing Sequence is all Movement is...

Slow Type I > "Strength" Type IIa > "Super" Fast Type IIb/x

Now think of of the Muscle Fiberas cars in a race.

1) Slow Twitch fiber is a Volkswagen Bug

The Volkswagen (Slow Twitch) go/fire first getting a head start.

2) "Strength" Fast Twitch Type IIa are is a Stock Race Car

Then the Stock Car (Fast T\witch Type IIa) goes second.

It quickly catches and pass the Volkswagen.

3) "Super" Fast Type IIb/x are a Dragster

The Dragster (Type IIb/x) goes last.

It blows pass the Volkswagen (Slow Fiber), then catch and pass the Stock Car (Type IIb/X)

"The Intent" (initial effort to explode from the start of the Concentric) innervates the speed of how quickly The Fast Twitch Muscle are called into play.

Last edited:
1) Endurance Jumping Movement ensure Poor Technique is learned and developed due to Muscle Fatigue.

This was my concern. I think i will stay away from jump squats. I gotta stop obsessing over squats. For some reason I think the world will stop spinning if I don't squat heavy.

I thought "Change in Technique" was a stop sign, since we are talking in the context of AXE. No?

I think i will stay away from jump squats.
Jump Squat

Various Type of Jumping is effective in the Development of Power; dependent on how well a program is written.

Barbell Jump Squats, Olympic Pull Jumps, Trap Bar Jumps, Dumbbell Squat Jumps, etc.

Thus, ruling them out and staying away form this is counter productive.

For some reason I think the world will stop spinning if I don't squat heavy.
Heavy Squat Periodization Training

Increasing Squat Strength, all Strength, is optimized with Periodization Training.

Periodization Training

A program over a specific number of week that start out light and in the final week ensure Strength Gains.

Once that Periodization Training Cycle is complete and New Periodization Training Cycle is begun that is light and easy.

The New Periodization Training Program follows the same protocol; ending in the final week by pushing the load to the limit or near to it.

I thought "Change in Technique" was a stop sign. No?
Definitely

A "Change in Technique" means there is a change in muscle involvement. It is becomes a completely different movement.

Secondly, there is a change the Muscle Fiber development.

Technique Development

The criteria for echnique has be posted multiple time on this forum.

Technique Development needs to be.,,

1) Specifically, trained on one day set aside for it alone.

or

2) Trained first on a Regular Training Day.

Increasing Strength In The LIft

Strength is increased in the Lift by employing Auxiliary Strength Training Movement that are similar to the Lift.

Thus, for let say a Low Bar Wide Stance Powerlift Squat Auxiliary Exercise would could be...

1) Belt Squats

2) Front Squats

3) High Bar Narrow Squats

This approach by the Westside Powerlifting Protocol has demonstrated this.

Also, research on the Carry Over of Auxiliary Exercises similar in nature to a LIft (Drs. Zack Mang, Jason Beam, etc. ) have demonstrated the Carry Over Effect.

Thanks, but I was just pointing out that getting injured by degrading techmique shouldn't be an issue for one following an AXE protocol.

I agree, heavy grindy squats work. But I have no desire anymore to get under a 300# bar. Ive run out of weight for goblets and looking for an alternative. Split squats are a balancing act for me. Maybe I’ll go back to OHS. Maybe step ups as Kenny suggests.
You could try single leg squat from a low crate or the 3rd step on a flight of stairs.

Lately am having good results from isometric squat at the lowest point in the ROM followed immediately by sandbag back squat w/140lbs. Normally that would not be heavy enough to train with, but Dropsetting it with iso I only get 15 reps or less.

I find B-squats with most of your bodyweight over the lead leg give all the benefits of a split squat without the balance issues. Your trailing leg just kind of works like a tripod. I like them because they let me maintain proper hip mechanics for regular squats, whereas sometimes lunges sneak into a territory where they're inventing their own mechanics.

isometric squat at the lowest point in the ROM followed immediately by sandbag back squat w/140lbs.
Post Activation Training

This is Post Activation Training, PAP

For those not familiar with this, it is essentially Super Setting a Strength Movement with a Speed, Power or Bodybuilding Movement.

PAP enables greater Force Production in Speed and Power Movements and with Bodybuilding Set it allow a couple more Repetitions to be performed.

The Poliquin 1-6 Principle

isometric squat at the lowest point in the ROM
Long Length Partial Hypertrophy Training

Research shows this method promotes Hypertrophy.

Are Long-Length Partial Reps the Secret to Hypertrophy

Additional information on this is in Post 1 at...

Last edited:
You could try single leg squat from a low crate or the 3rd step on a flight of stairs.

Lately am having good results from isometric squat at the lowest point in the ROM followed immediately by sandbag back squat w/140lbs. Normally that would not be heavy enough to train with, but Dropsetting it with iso I only get 15 reps or less.
I’m leaning towards the crate squats.

Much respect for you, I just don’t have the mental fortitude for ISO.

I find B-squats with most of your bodyweight over the lead leg give all the benefits of a split squat without the balance issues. Your trailing leg just kind of works like a tripod. I like them because they let me maintain proper hip mechanics for regular squats, whereas sometimes lunges sneak into a territory where they're inventing their own mechanics.
Ok you got my attention. How far back is the trailing leg? I am guessing KB or DB for weight? Last, how deep? Till the trailing leg knee touches?

Ok you got my attention. How far back is the trailing leg? I am guessing KB or DB for weight? Last, how deep? Till the trailing leg knee touches?

Generally I use KBs and DBs.

I'll usually go down until the knee touches, but I've also only gone done halfway because I was holding more weight than I could do a full ROM with. I generally revolve everything (depth, position of the trailing leg) around the hip mechanics -- especially when I'm doing explosive work, because that's when the form goes first. I find more stability when my working leg is at 90 degrees, so some days it feels best just to stay at that depth.

Sometimes the trailing leg is closer to being below me (so I'll put the top of my foot on the ground, instead of the ball of my feet, so I can't push off of it for a cheat) and other times it's kind of diagonally to the side. It's hard to say because it really does depend on how my hips feel like working that day: I put the leg wherever I find the correct groove.

I keep emphasizing the hip mechanics because the reason I prefer the B-squat is it lets me train bilaterally, but also lets me corkscrew my leg outwards like in an actual squat. Lunges don't really let me corkscrew my legs with the power that a B-squat does. I figured out that lets me train with all the weight moved of one-legged work, but with the tension techniques of a full squat, so I just kind of feel out the set-up until I find the position that lets me activate everything I'm trying to activate. Then I just rep out that position for the day.

Back
Top Bottom