all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed AOM, HIIT, and the 1-minute Workout

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

John K

Level 8 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Recently, Dr. Gibala was interviewed by Brett McKay on the Art of Manliness Podcast (linked below) on HIIT. I thought I'd share the link and a quick summary of some of the discussion.

- HIIT being "all out" or "as hard as you can" is one variation of HIIT, but it is not HIIT. Dr. Gibala defines HIIT as alternating periods of hard work with recovery periods. How hard? Well, he says "vigorous intensity," which is about a 7 on a 10 point scale (1 being on the couch, 10 sprinting to save your child from getting hit by a car), or about 80% MHR. But he notes that this intensity is going to be a huge range based on individual fitness and capability.

- The interval is a big part of HIIT. Recovery is a HUGE part that is necessary to allow you to keep working as hard as you need to in your work intervals.

- HIIT to get fit. What does "fit" mean?

- He mentions HIIT is not primarily anaerobic, as any repeated sprint session is primarily fueled by the aerobic system.

- HIIT improves ability of body to circulate oxygen / cardiorespiratory fitness.

- HIIT improves metabolic fitness - able to work close to their ceiling for a long time.

- He "doesn't have the time" for people trying to demonize one type of workout or another, as moving more is better. HIIT is a good option, especially when you can't go for your hour session and your options are HIIT or Skip.

- Rise of Zone 2 is from looking at endurance athletes polarized 80/20 training. And it is great, but we should train across a range of intensities.

- Volume is an important factor. If you only have 2 hours a week to train, or 20 minutes a week to train, HIIT becomes a really good choice for more of your sessions.

- Week or two to start getting beneficial adaptations (such as improved insulin sensitivity), and the more deconditioned you are the more and faster your adaptation are. And again - the intensity is a 7/10, which might be just a quick walk for the deconditioned and unhealthy person.

- 5 (moderate intensity) you can carry on sentences or have a conversation, 7 is that you can grunt out a few words.

- Exponential trade off in intensity/duration.

- No one has to do HIIT if they don't prefer it.

- HIIT rise in cortisol: not convinced that the acute rise in cortisol is anything to be concerned about.

For more information, check out Dr. Gibala's book "The One Minute Workout" (2017). At the bottom of the link below are links to descriptions of several of the protocols he talks about.

This sounds like S&S would fit into the HIIT category. I mean I just looked up HIIT because I don't know. Here is an explanation of HIIT I found in a MensHealth article. I was trying to find what the average person would understand HIIT as. I fell out of touch with the balls-to-the-wall training I used to think I should do after trying to mimic Arnold's crazy superset workout sessions or the everyday competition that CrossFit used to be when I was in High School 20 years ago. So forgive me if I'm a little "out of touch."

"That means working hard, but it doesn’t mean going 100 percent to failure. If you’re completely new to exercise, don't go truly all out all at once. Instead of 15 to 30-second intervals executed at near-100 percent intensity, intervals of one to three minutes at closer to 80 percent of maximum effort, followed by up to five minutes of lower-intensity exercise, have also been shown effective for weight loss in sedentary populations."

Last edited:
Recently, Dr. Gibala was interviewed by Brett McKay on the Art of Manliness Podcast (linked below) on HIIT. I thought I'd share the link and a quick summary of some of the discussion.

- HIIT being "all out" or "as hard as you can" is one variation of HIIT, but it is not HIIT. Dr. Gibala defines HIIT as alternating periods of hard work with recovery periods. How hard? Well, he says "vigorous intensity," which is about a 7 on a 10 point scale (1 being on the couch, 10 sprinting to save your child from getting hit by a car), or about 80% MHR. But he notes that this intensity is going to be a huge range based on individual fitness and capability.

- The interval is a big part of HIIT. Recovery is a HUGE part that is necessary to allow you to keep working as hard as you need to in your work intervals.

- He mentions HIIT is not primarily anaerobic, as any repeated sprint session is primarily fueled by the aerobic system.

- HIIT improves ability of body to circulate oxygen / cardiorespiratory fitness.

- HIIT improves metabolic fitness - able to work close to their ceiling for a long time.

- He "doesn't have the time" for people trying to demonize one type of workout or another, as moving more is better. HIIT is a good option, especially when you can't go for your hour session and your options are HIIT or Skip.

- Rise of Zone 2 is from looking at endurance athletes polarized 80/20 training. And it is great, but we should train across a range of intensities.

- Volume is an important factor. If you only have 2 hours a week to train, or 20 minutes a week to train, HIIT becomes a really good choice for more of your sessions.

- Week or two to start getting beneficial adaptations (such as improved insulin sensitivity), and the more deconditioned you are the more and faster your adaptation are. And again - the intensity is a 7/10, which might be just a quick walk for the deconditioned and unhealthy person.

- 5 (moderate intensity) you can carry on sentences or have a conversation, 7 is that you can grunt out a few words.

- Exponential trade off in intensity/duration.

- No one has to do HIIT if they don't prefer it.

- HIIT rise in cortisol: not convinced that the acute rise in cortisol is anything to be concerned about.

For more information, check out Dr. Gibala's book "The One Minute Workout" (2017). At the bottom of the link below are links to descriptions of several of the protocols he talks about.

Thanks for sharing.

Btw, for those wondering: Pavel defines Gibala's protocol as Glycolytic Power Repeats and has high praise for them (both in AXE and in SEE).

I got pretty lean and “fit” ( lots of energy etc ) by doing 6-8 rounds of 30s spring intervals then 2:5-3mins rest x 3 x a week just before turning 30. Less than 30mins 3 x a week. Worked really well. There’s so many labels around intervals though, not sure if it actually fit into HIIT.

It worked quite well, felt like minimal time investment for quite good results. I didn’t really diet hard either.

I keep thinking I should do it for a month stand-alone and see. I could use a lean up haha

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when the cross-fit guys arrived at the gym the powerlifters and bodybuilders (myself included) all pointed and laughed at them as they pranced about doing their weird stuff (called HIIT) but truth is they had better looking physiques than any of us

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, when the cross-fit guys arrived at the gym the powerlifters and bodybuilders (myself included) all pointed and laughed at them as they pranced about doing their weird stuff (called HIIT) but truth is they had better looking physiques than any of us
CrossFit used to have a promotional video that said "Turning 7s into 10s."

@John K

thanks for the post, I finished Dr. Gibala's book the other day. I'm including some interval work in my training for ... Cardio ...

Interesting that Dr. Gibala feels the need to try and clarify HIIT, relative to the presentation made in mass media.

I've been seeing this from time to time.
Dr. Gibala apparently wrote a book a few years ago to clarify HIIT​
Dr. Marc Hamilton made a few videos to clarify the Soleus Pushup​
Dr. Tabata himself is now providing certification for his protocol​

Even the most well-meaning fans/adherents apparently have been part of muddying the waters at times.

thanks again. good read.

I got pretty lean and “fit” ( lots of energy etc ) by doing 6-8 rounds of 30s spring intervals then 2:5-3mins rest x 3 x a week just before turning 30. Less than 30mins 3 x a week. Worked really well. There’s so many labels around intervals though, not sure if it actually fit into HIIT.

It worked quite well, felt like minimal time investment for quite good results. I didn’t really diet hard either.

I keep thinking I should do it for a month stand-alone and see. I could use a lean up haha
30 seconds sprints x 6-8? That sounds awful. 30 second sprints are terrible. Great That it gave you good results though.

Hello,

30" - 30" (10x) is a "stapple" of running intervals. However, in this case, that's not a sprint. That's our pace of "maximal aerobic speed". Basically, one has to run as fast as one can, while staying in the aerobic zone. Therefore, it require a test prior to engage in this kind of programme.

Eventually, it makes us capable of running faster and longer while staying in the aerobic zone.

Kind regards,

Pet'

30 seconds sprints x 6-8? That sounds awful. 30 second sprints are terrible. Great That it gave you good results though.
Yep, and the thing is, the power and speed would definitely drop by the end of the 30s but it still worked great.

Perhaps slightly digressing , but when I was learning about the 30-30 method, it was presented that you use the entire 30 second sprint to get to your top speed.

There is a big difference between accelerating for 20-25 seconds to hold top speed for 5-10 seconds, than hitting top speed in ~5 seconds and holding that for 25 more seconds.

I was worried it wouldn’t really work, as most people were saying you had to sprint the whole 30s. I could maintain maybe 15s, then I’d just drop right off, but i kept doing it and it definitely worked, so k just kept doing it.

Basically I did it wrong and it still worked haha. Probably because my conditioning was pretty bad, probably anything would’ve worked. I enjoyed the small time investment for pretty good results.

I might do it again before summer, one month x 3 x a week I think

Perhaps slightly digressing , but when I was learning about the 30-30 method, it was presented that you use the entire 30 second sprint to get to your top speed.

There is a big difference between accelerating for 20-25 seconds to hold top speed for 5-10 seconds, than hitting top speed in ~5 seconds and holding that for 25 more seconds.
Yes, no doubt. Sustaining a max sprint for 30 secs, and repeating it 8 times, is no joke

Almost all intervals are HIIT so long as there is a waveform of high and low intensity.

SIT being a form of interval but not HIIT, distinguished because the rest is rest and not a lower intensity activity.

Technically, Tabata is SIT and not HIIT because you rest for the 10 seconds between.

Its only when you start to call it by name that specifics matter.

Hello,

To sum up:
- VO2 max seems to be the largest predictor of all cause mortality
- Minimal effectif dose, on a weekly basis seems to be 1h
- Diminishing results beyond 3h / week (unless longevity is not the goal and one has a specific goal)
- 3-5 minutes intervals with 2:1 ratio, during 20 minutes, 3x a week (or 10 minutes per day)

Pairing this with 2x a week resistance training and .8 to 1g of protein per pound of bdw seems to be a 'good longevity formula'

Kind regards,

Pet'

Back
Top Bottom