all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Apigenin - You Should Take It

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
It's cheap.

It helps you sleep.

It may improve cognitive function.

It reduces stress.

It helps fight cancer.

I've had good results with no side effects.

It's cheap.

It helps you sleep.

It may improve cognitive function.

It reduces stress.

It helps fight cancer.

I've had good results with no side effects.

Brand, amount ?

I Googled

foods containing nad+

and this was the first hit:

Appears to be a commercial site that sells a supplement - a minus.

They mention beer as a source - a plus.

-S-

A second post from me on this but from a different perspective.

I've read several articles over the last few years suggesting that, a few hundred years ago, people didn't expect to sleep through the night and often considered being awake in the middle of the night a time of creativity. I'll see if I can find some links later today and post them. I mention this because I've also read articles that talk about how people seem to feel they don't sleep as well as they get older, and one reason given is that we need less sleep as we get older - my personal feeling is that it's OK not to sleep as "solidly", whatever that may mean, as we age - it's normal and hasn't adversely effected me to the best of my knowledge.

-S-

I've read several articles over the last few years suggesting that, a few hundred years ago, people didn't expect to sleep through the night and often considered being awake in the middle of the night a time of creativity. I'll see if I can find some links later today and post them. I mention this because I've also read articles that talk about how people seem to feel they don't sleep as well as they get older, and one reason given is that we need less sleep as we get older - my personal feeling is that it's OK not to sleep as "solidly", whatever that may mean, as we age - it's normal and hasn't adversely effected me to the best of my knowledge.

-S-
Read/heard something similar a while back. Hard to say where.
Four or so hours of sleep, wake up, work a bit, write, etc, then sleep another 3-4 hrs.

Read/heard something similar a while back. Hard to say where.
Four or so hours of sleep, wake up, work a bit, write, etc, then sleep another 3-4 hrs.
Biphasic sleep theory. Speculative because we can’t go back and prove what people did, but a reasonable hypothesis. Also, there’s a good argument that preindustrial sleep averages were more like 9-10 hours per day.

Based on experiences in my longest backpacking trips, hiking in places where campfires weren’t allowed, both the biphasic sleep and 9-10 hours seems pretty plausible.

Last edited:

-S-
Yes, there is pretty convincing evidence that before artificial light the “normal” way for humans to sleep was in two blocks, broken by a period of activity (biphasic sleep). In some ancient languages, there are even two words for sleep linked to the notion of 1st and 2nd. The notion that quality sleep means a single unbroken period is recent although I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that to be unhealthy just new and different to how humans ordinarily behaved over hundreds of thousands of years.

-S-
I feel my sharpest and most energetic when I have woken up at 4-4:30. People think I’m crazy I think.

Biphasic sleep theory. Speculative because we can’t go back and prove what people did, but a reasonable hypothesis. Also, there’s a good argument that preindustrial sleep averages were more like 9-10 hours per day.

Based on experiences in my longest backpacking trips, hiking in places where campfires weren’t allowed, both the biphasic sleep and 9-10 hours seems pretty plausible.
I have similar experiences of getting 9-10 hours or even more sleep when hiking and camping in the wilderness. Sometimes with an hour or so of wakefulness in the middle. The sleep also feels very deep, so deep in fact that it’s sometimes hard to tell how much time has passed when I wake up. I wish I would always sleep so well. I wonder if it’s the lack of artificial light, the fresh air of outdoors, or simply the exhaustion of rucking for many hours. Maybe all together?

I do the Andrew Hubberman Sleep protocol. It’s been a game changer for me. And the dreams are Amazing! I take Thorne and Momentous brands for supplements.

From Huberman:
8) You might consider taking (30-60 min before bed):

• 145mg Magnesium Threonate or 200mg Magnesium Bisglycinate
  • 50mg Apigenin
  • 100-400mg Theanine
  • (3-4 nights per week I also take 2g of Glycine and 100mg GABA.)

I have similar experiences of getting 9-10 hours or even more sleep when hiking and camping in the wilderness. Sometimes with an hour or so of wakefulness in the middle. The sleep also feels very deep, so deep in fact that it’s sometimes hard to tell how much time has passed when I wake up. I wish I would always sleep so well. I wonder if it’s the lack of artificial light, the fresh air of outdoors, or simply the exhaustion of rucking for many hours. Maybe all together?
My experiences are essentially the same on longer backpacking trips. My slee is easily disrupted so it takes a few days to adjust to sleeping on a ground pad/hammock. I suspect it a combination of all the things you listed. After my longest trip (35 days), sleeping was one of the hardest adjustments returning to civilization.

I'm guessing a lot of cavemen were light sleepers because they had to be. Probably not the best for the gainz tho...

I had no idea about apigenin as an NAD+ booster. I have been taking NMN for that purpose after going down the David Sinclair rabbit hole. I have had very positive effects from this. No idea if the suggested longevity effects will transpire, but worth it for the improvement in energy.

For those who are unfamiliar, boosting NAD has been found to significantly increase lifespan and ‘health span’ (how far into old age you stay healthy) in a variety of short lived species (Eg yeast, rodents).
Will it do the same in people? We don’t know - It takes a lot longer to study due to our longer lifespan.

Back
Top Bottom