all posts post new thread

Barbell Approaching a P.R. Lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Philippe Geoffrion

Level 7 Valued Member
I started this topic because I was interested in hearing everyone's approach to a new P.R. attempt. We all have our individual ways to doing so. What works for you all?

I like sitting without music and visualizing while taking deep/slow breathes and actually relaxing as much as possible. I see this period as an "energy accumulation period". I find any jumping around, screaming or chest pumping wasted and distracted energy but it seems to work for some people. I do start pacing around moments before the lift, shaking my limbs out and breathing a little more intensely. My set up varies from lift to lift, but I usually take several deep breathes before un racking, tightening my body a little more each time until liftoff. In my deadlift, I lift as soon as I grab the bar, but in squat and bench, I wedge myself a few times with large breathes, like mini rep liftoffs (without lifting the bar, but finding the ideal position to do so) until I take one big one and go time.

What kind of approach do you guys take? And it doesn't have to be for just a max rep, it could be for a new endurance set/ going for a deeper level in pistol squat or OAP P.R. attempt set/going for a one arm chin for first time/etc. I find this period has been critical to my either success or failure in a new attempt. I think it'd be interesting to hear everyone else's approach.

A good question.

It made me realize I don't really have a set routine. I have never done screaming or jumping around or such. I have tried visualisation and meditation. I have some times given myself some slaps on the face which felt like they helped. I always concentrate in a different manner, but it may be in part unconscious.

I don't know how much my approach is about accumulating energy or such, and how much about keeping myself calm so that I can approach the bar as usual. For example, being too nervous may make the descent too slow the in the squat and the bench.

I may have to try out the more energetic approach some time.

It's hard to validate a certain approach as there are so many variables in play in a successful PR.

If I had to make a pick, I think the slaps have always worked in some sense.

I have never tried sniffing ammonia before a lift. Worth a try?

I must say that I haven't figured out an ideal, repeatable approach for myself. I have, over the last few years, set some PR's, but I've also approach the bar for my planned final deadlift and felt like I'd done too much and wasn't fresh enough, and I do very little in the way of warmups.

It is art more than a science, perhaps, to deliver one's best on demand, and one I look forward to improving at in the years to come.

-S-

The right warm-up lifts leading up to the heavy ones are super important for me. Enough to get warmed up and primed... not so much to get fatigued.

Mostly I do PR attempt lifts just exactly like every other training lift. I do tend to channel a little bit more aggressiveness for the squat and press; i.e. "get mad", "get it done". For deadlift and bench press, I just try to be calm and determined, tight and precise, and ready to grind it out for as many seconds as it takes.

Actually what seems to make the MOST difference for me is whether I'm well-rested. That means an easy week or few days leading up to the attempt, and a good night's sleep the night before.

I find any jumping around, screaming or chest pumping wasted and distracted energy but it seems to work for some people.

Psyching Your Psych

Screaming and going crazy doesn't make much sense. To some extent it increase you adrenaline at the expense of burning out your energy.

It what I term as, Psyching Your Psych. Going crazy does make you a better lifter/athelte or mean you will lift more or preform better.

You don't see Olympic Weight Lifter, Quarter Back in football, Baseball Pitchers, etc jumping around going crazy.

Miracle On The Hudson

Sully Sullenberger remained calm and cool when he landed his plain in the Hudson. When interviewed afterward, Sully basically he was on an adrenaline high.

In a max effort lift, you adrenaline is going to be up just sitting quietly and focusing on the lift.

Visualization Before The Lift

This is a much more, energy efficient method.

Dr. Judd Biasiotto Books

Biasiotto wrote a series of book the use of Visualization, Self-Hypnosis, for Powerlifting. All of Judd's book are good.

Back in the 1990s, I called him up, purchase a book and he was nice enough to let me call him with questions.

The book centered on using Visualization on your off days from training, as well as prior to max efforts, which works.

However, I had a hard time with Visualization. I found a better approach for me was the use of Kineostatics. I was more in the how the bar felt when I performed the lift correctly.

The bar felt like it was gliding up a rails when I pushed or pulled it up; it was in the groove. My focus was more on how the bar felt, the grove.

https://www.amazon.com/SPORTS-PSYCHING-Playing-Your-Best/dp/0874771366

This is another excellent book on harnessing the mental aspect of any game.

Another Interesting Book...

that I have is by Synertistics. One of the interesting method that Mike Schmidt (Philadelphia Philly's) for Visualization prior to a Baseball game was to watch a "Best of Mike Schmidt Batting Video).

It allowed Schmidt to visually watch best batting technique and increased his for on game day.

Yogi Berra

As Yogi essentally said, "90 percent of the game is half mental".

Kenny Croxdale

being too nervous may make the descent too slow the in the squat and the bench.

Eccentric Bar Speed

The majority of of lifer lower the bar too fast in the Squat and Bench Press.

Research by Dr Tom McLaughlin found that lifter how lower the bar too quickly increased the amount of reversal force need to drive the weight back up was 1.49% of the bar weight.

That means a 300 lb Bench Press would require 447 lbs of force.

Lifter who lower the bar slower need 1.12% more force to drive the weight up.

That mean a 300 lb Bench Press would require 336 lbs of force.

So, you may or may not be lowering the bar too slow.

Jumping Out of A 5 Story Building

The Eccentric Steed in lower the bar remind me of what someone once said about jumping out of a 5 story building; it won't kill you.

What you need worry about is the sudden stop.

Take Home Message

The speed of a falling object or one being lower is magnified beyond it true weight/load

Kenny Croxdale

Eccentric Bar Speed

The majority of of lifer lower the bar too fast in the Squat and Bench Press.

Research by Dr Tom McLaughlin found that lifter how lower the bar too quickly increased the amount of reversal force need to drive the weight back up was 1.49% of the bar weight.

That means a 300 lb Bench Press would require 447 lbs of force.

Lifter who lower the bar slower need 1.12% more force to drive the weight up.

That mean a 300 lb Bench Press would require 336 lbs of force.

So, you may or may not be lowering the bar too slow.

Jumping Out of A 5 Story Building

The Eccentric Steed in lower the bar remind me of what someone once said about jumping out of a 5 story building; it won't kill you.

What you need worry about is the sudden stop.

Take Home Message

The speed of a falling object or one being lower is magnified beyond it true weight/load

Kenny Croxdale

How did McLaughlin find out if someone lowered the bar too quickly? How would I know if I lower the bar too quickly or not?

I mainly try to lower the bar fast but the priority is always maximal tension. As fast as the tension allows. But it's hard to say if the bar speed slows down with PR weights, if the slowing happens because the needs for tension increase or whether I fail psychologically. I always try to make every rep as similar as possible, but the bar will of course slow down with more weight.

I've actually found that controlling the eccentric to a greater degree to be beneficial. I think of the eccentric of the bench and squat kind of like the set-up swing (back swing) to a golf stroke or baseball swing. it's purpose is to position yourself for a the strongest, most efficient and accurate reversal. Too slow or too fast each have faults. Too slow and you get tired, too fast and you're out of position and not ready for the return.

Psyching Your Psych

Screaming and going crazy doesn't make much sense. To some extent it increase you adrenaline at the expense of burning out your energy.

It what I term as, Psyching Your Psych. Going crazy does make you a better lifter/athelte or mean you will lift more or preform better.

You don't see Olympic Weight Lifter, Quarter Back in football, Baseball Pitchers, etc jumping around going crazy.

Miracle On The Hudson

Sully Sullenberger remained calm and cool when he landed his plain in the Hudson. When interviewed afterward, Sully basically he was on an adrenaline high.

In a max effort lift, you adrenaline is going to be up just sitting quietly and focusing on the lift.

Visualization Before The Lift

This is a much more, energy efficient method.

Dr. Judd Biasiotto Books

Biasiotto wrote a series of book the use of Visualization, Self-Hypnosis, for Powerlifting. All of Judd's book are good.

Back in the 1990s, I called him up, purchase a book and he was nice enough to let me call him with questions.

The book centered on using Visualization on your off days from training, as well as prior to max efforts, which works.

However, I had a hard time with Visualization. I found a better approach for me was the use of Kineostatics. I was more in the how the bar felt when I performed the lift correctly.

The bar felt like it was gliding up a rails when I pushed or pulled it up; it was in the groove. My focus was more on how the bar felt, the grove.

https://www.amazon.com/SPORTS-PSYCHING-Playing-Your-Best/dp/0874771366

This is another excellent book on harnessing the mental aspect of any game.

Another Interesting Book...

that I have is by Synertistics. One of the interesting method that Mike Schmidt (Philadelphia Philly's) for Visualization prior to a Baseball game was to watch a "Best of Mike Schmidt Batting Video).

It allowed Schmidt to visually watch best batting technique and increased his for on game day.

Yogi Berra

As Yogi essentally said, "90 percent of the game is half mental".

Kenny Croxdale

Very cool. I am very interested in the mental aspects of the game. They've made a big difference for me in success rate on a new lift.

How did McLaughlin find out if someone lowered the bar too quickly?

Simple Answer

Complicated math and expensive equipment that measure eccentric and concentric bar speed.

Bench Press More Now (Book) provides some of that information regarding the speed novice's lower the bar comparative to elite lifters.

The most basic math was the novice lifter who lowered the bar quickly increased the bar load to 149% of it true weight.

Elite lifter who lower the bar slowly, only increase the bar load to 112% of the bar true weight.

The Last Word On Squats
Men's Fitness, Sept, 1998 by Jeff O'Connell

McLaughlin isn't surprised; all the great squatters he's observed favor the slow, controlled descent used by Ray and Karwoski. "You want to lower the weight slowly, even during the first six inches of the descent," says McLaughlin. "Too many lifters start the squat very quickly and think they'll slow down halfway, but the momentum of the bar increases very quickly, and they end up effectively lifting more than the actual weight. The top lifters have velocity and acceleration patterns that are uniquely geared this way compared to beginners and intermediates."

Increasing The Eccentric Speed

In the Squat, you want to allow the Eccentric Speed to increase a couple of inches from parallel in a half Squat to elicit the Stretch Reflex.

"An overlooked aspect of the squat is the transition between descent and ascent. "You don't want to bounce, but you don't want to stop, either," says McLaughlin.

"You want a slight recoil - enough that the change in direction utilizes some of the energy transfer in your body."

The same applies when performing a in "Touch and Go" Bench Press Training; allow the Eccentric Bar Speed to increase a couple of inches off the chest to elicit the Strength Reflex, for a "slight recoil to change directions".

How would I know if I lower the bar too quickly or not?

Good question. Based McLaughlin's research and the anecdotal data of great Squatter and Bench Pressers, it better to error on slowing the eccentric speed down and finding what work.

Kenny Croxdale

Too slow and you get tired, too fast and you're out of position and not ready for the return.

Going Slow and Getting Tired

One of the misconceptions that lifters have is that if they go slow in the Eccentric, it tires them out for the Concentric; pushing the weight up.

While the Eccentric does tax the muscles involved, it's not as taxing as many tend to believe.

Concentric Contractions deplete more energy and strength than Eccentric Movements and Isometric Actions.

Secondly, research shows that your Eccentric Strength is 20% greater than your Concentric Strength.

That means if your Concentric Bench Press (pushing it up) is 300 lbs in a Bench Press; your Eccentric Strength (in lowering the weight) is around 360 lbs.

Lowering the weight in a Bench Press of 300 lbs mean that you are using a little more than 83% of your 1RM Eccectric Bench Press Strength.

Think of it this way, how much energy does it take to Bench Press 83% of your 1 RM (249 lbs) of your Concentric Bench Press for ?

You should have enough energy and strength to Concentrically Bench Press 249 lbs (83% of your a 300 lb, 1RM) for 3 maybe 4 Repetitions.

Based on that, you should be able to lower the weight in a 300 lbs Bench Press (83% of your 1RM) around 3 - 4 Repetitions.

"Speed Kills"

Yes, the Eccentric Speed does play a role in positioning the bar. However, even at fairly low speed in a Limit Strength Movement, there are times when the bar gets out of the groove/position.

The main issue of Eccentric Speed in lowering the weight is more about the amount of force that is developed.

The example of a novice with a 300 lb Bench Press lowering the bar too fast and having to deal with 447 lbs of force vs a elite lifter lowering the bar slower and only having to deal with 336 lbs of force, illustrates that.

Eccentric Speed For Strength and Power

The use of "Ballistic Eccentrics" is an effective tool, when implemented correctly. A "Ballistic Eccentric" meaning a body or object become airborne, falling.

Depth Jumps involves a "Ballistic Eccentric Action"; jumping off a box dramatically magnifies the amount of impact force. However, the right amount of force/loading elicits a greater Stretch Reflex, which increased the height up the jump.

The general recommendation for Depth Jumps is limited to no greater that around dropping off a 36 inch box. That because going higher tend to produce impact forces that dampen or kill the Stretch Reflex.

Due to the speed of the free fall off the box, focusing on positioning (technique) is one of the key factors to ensuring you perform the movement correctly.

Olympic Lifter employ a lot of Power/Speed in concentrically "Throwing the weight up" while keeping the bar in the right position.

The Take Home Message

1) Concentric and/or Eccentrics "Ballistic Movements" have a place in the development of Limit Strength and Power; dependent on how the program is written and implemented.

2) The Speed of the Movement can create positioning issues. However, that can be minimized with practice.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Not that I do a lot of max lifts these days, but I'm still fairly true to what I did back in college. Keep warm-up reps to about 4-5 singles. After that, think about the lift as little as possible. I like the TSC format because I can watch other people and focus on cheering them on, rather than thinking about my lift at all. Right before the lift, a couple of sharp breaths out with tight core before even touching the bar, and try to focus on a mental image that I'm indestructible - can usually get a chill down my back if I'm in the right mindset. I don't like to spent time wedging under the weight - when it's time to go, just get in there and start lifting ASAP.

I learned my lesson the hard way on controlling the eccentric movement, back in high school. Max squat, slammed into the bottom, couldn't straighten my leg out all the way for a week afterwards due to the pain in my knee. That's the problem with turning an idiot 14-year-old loose in a weight room without a good coach.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom