all posts post new thread

Are there studies that research health (exercise wise)

Gman10

Level 4 Valued Member
Are there studies that show which exercises are best for long term benefits to your health?

I assume a mix of steady state, some high intensity and strength training, but are there specifics to how much?

There are general guidelines. Resistance training should be done at least twice a week. Cardio should be done for at least 150 minutes at low intensity or 75 minutes at high intensity a week.
For cardio is it either or? If you do some high intensity does that take away from the low intensity?

Are there studies that show which exercises are best for long term benefits to your health?

I assume a mix of steady state, some high intensity and strength training, but are there specifics to how much?
@Gman10:

I periodically reread this article. Read it now and then at least annually if not more often.

-S-

High intensity can not replace low intensity. The adaptations are different, and it is the ones from the low intensity work that will provide the best heart-health ‘gains’.

Not dismissing higher intensity stuff, but it was one area where over enthusiasm and misinterpretation of research led to many throwing away low intensity stuff and not grasping what it actually does.

And I am a million miles away from an endurance athlete btw, so not a personal bias here

See ACSM position stands on a number of health related topics, specific and general, with many citations.

Specifically, how to develop/maintain many types of fitness: Quantity and Quality of Exercise for Developing and... : Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

No specific exercise is perfect; it's the physiological effect that plays major role in health and allostasis

For cardio is it either or? If you do some high intensity does that take away from the low intensity?

In the general guidelines, one minutes of high intensity stands for two minutes of low intensity.

These recommendations are the evidence-based guidelines for substantial health benefits.

View attachment 23977

The whole document that I linked above is full of explanations of the relationships between physical activity and health.
Important part is it's not LOW intensity as stated above. It is moderate-intensity.
And it is a minimum, you continue to get benefits above.

Again questions arise. Does low intensity cardio include the usual faster walking during the day- walking to the store, walking to the gym, walking to lunch on your lunch break. For example, if you walked briskly for 10 minutes and then at the gym on the treadmill you walk briskly for another 20 minutes, I guess that means you have 30 minutes of low intensity cardio for the day.
Apart from that, for example, I have some diseases. No matter how I train, I haven't felt sick, but I still have to be careful. For example, yesterday I read in many articles that higher weight increases intraocular pressure more than lower weight. At the same time, the more repetitions you do with a moderate weight or lower weight (almost to failure) the pressure also increases. And now if I have a large diopter of myopia and I am in danger of detaching the retina, should I train with a heavy one or with a lighter one, but with more effort for the last reps. Also, I have a problem with blood sugar sometimes in the morning. It is not in the diabetic range, but it is higher than normal. In one place I read that the higher kilograms 80 and over 80% of 1RM lower the sugar much more after training. I read elsewhere that you need more repetitions to burn glycogen. In terms of blood pressure, it is similar to intraocular pressure - if you train hard, it rises, if you train moderately, it rises again with increasing reps. At the same time, doctors say that if you are hypertensive, you should train with more repetitions. It is clear that lifting increases the pressure, but I did not find any information anywhere, if I do, for example, 3x90-92%, will I increase the blood pressure more than 12x70% during the execution of the exercise. Finally, some say that heavy weights damage the joints, and others say: only lift heavy, that's the old man's way. :)
I am both hypertensive (but with normal blood pressure because I take medication), and I have a problem with blood sugar sometimes, and I have high diopter myopia. Obviously, I need to lift moderate weights, not reaching failure, but just before it. What is the general recommendation in the provided by @Anna C - Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition (8-12 reps).

Last edited:
Again questions arise. Does low intensity cardio include the usual faster walking during the day- walking to the store, walking to the gym, walking to lunch on your lunch break. For example, if you walked briskly for 10 minutes and then at the gym on the treadmill you walk briskly for another 20 minutes, I guess that means you have 30 minutes of low intensity cardio for the day.
Apart from that, for example, I have some diseases. No matter how I train, I haven't felt sick, but I still have to be careful. For example, yesterday I read in many articles that higher weight increases intraocular pressure more than lower weight. At the same time, the more repetitions you do with a moderate weight or lower weight (almost to failure) the pressure also increases. And now if I have a large diopter of myopia and I am in danger of detaching the retina, should I train with a heavy one or with a lighter one, but with more effort for the last reps. Also, I have a problem with blood sugar sometimes in the morning. It is not in the diabetic range, but it is higher than normal. In one place I read that the higher kilograms 80 and over 80% of 1RM lower the sugar much more after training. I read elsewhere that you need more repetitions to burn glycogen. In terms of blood pressure, it is similar to intraocular pressure - if you train hard, it rises, if you train moderately, it rises again with increasing reps. At the same time, doctors say that if you are hypertensive, you should train with more repetitions. It is clear that lifting increases the pressure, but I did not find any information anywhere, if I do, for example, 3x90-92%, will I increase the blood pressure more than 12x70% during the execution of the exercise. Finally, some say that heavy weights damage the joints, and others say: only lift heavy, that's the old man's way. :)
I am both hypertensive (but with normal blood pressure because I take medication), and I have a problem with blood sugar sometimes, and I have high diopter myopia. Obviously, I need to lift moderate weights, not reaching failure, but just before it. What is the general recommendation in the provided by @Anna C - Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition (8-12 reps).
If you need to avoid blood pressure spikes, I would recommend any high frequency, low volume and moderate intensity program.

When your working sets feeling like a mere warm up, there's no need for a Valsalva maneuver. It's a win-win.

High intensity can not replace low intensity. The adaptations are different, and it is the ones from the low intensity work that will provide the best heart-health ‘gains’.
They are a great deal more similar than most people realize. This being high intensity aerobic work, not bootcamp type smokers. Some notable differences, but for quality of life CV health they are interchangeable.

Ideally one does both, next best thing is either/or.

If you need to avoid blood pressure spikes, I would recommend any high frequency, low volume and moderate intensity program.

When your working sets feeling like a mere warm up, there's no need for a Valsalva maneuver. It's a win-win.
I have never measured it during training, but no matter how I have trained, I have not felt a headache, nausea, etc. I mean, for example, workouts like 10-12x1 with 90% EMOM, weights for 5x2, 3x5, 8x3, moderate weights for 3x10-12, etc. Squats and deadlifts work the hardest for me with heavier and higher reps, but I don't get to the point where I feel sick.
I am very interested, for example, for what reason should I raise my heart rate before training, as many of the tips are. If I train, for example, according to the given prescriptions for the specific training pattern - singles or 8x3 with more rest in between, or several sets of weight for 2-3 of 10-12 reps per exercise, my heart rate rarely reaches 100. I do not feel short of breath or cardiac fatigue with this type of training, in addition to muscle fatigue. I get my heart rate up on kettlebell swings, snatches, and the like. If I train in the typical bodybuilding style with the recommended rests between sets, I cannot raise my heart rate significantly. It is true that I drink beta blockers, but even before them I still did not increase it with this way of training. In conclusion, I will be at a lower heart rate during exercise than recommended for the warm-up.
But still let's clarify. By moderate intensity you mean % of 1RM (eg weight for 10-12-15 reps) or you mean moderate intensity of effort.
Because in one interpretation, I can train with a moderate effort, but with a weight of 85% of 1 RM, for example, instead of the difficult 3x5, I perform an easy 3x3. Or, for example, training with a weight of 70% of 1RM (moderate weight), but approaching almost failure.

Last edited:
The Paradox of HIIT

Research show that HIIT provide a Paradoxical Effect.

It increases Aerobic and Anerobic Capacity.

Low Intensity does not increase Anaerobic Capacity.

Research show a substantial gain in VO2 Max with HIIT comparted to Low Intensity.

EPOC

HIIT elicits EPOC, Excess Post Oxyben Consumption.

This produces an increase in Metaboic Rate hours after training; increasing caloric expenditure.

Low Intensity does no elicit EPOC. Intensity is the key EPOC. Since there is no Intensity.

That is one of the reasion Over Weight individual on Low Intensity do not lose much if any weight.
over enthusiasm and misinterpretation of research led to many throwing away low intensity stuff and not grasping what it actually does.
Over Enthusiatic Individuals

I admire their enthusiasm. However, that often lead to OverReading and the OverTraining

Misinterpretation

The misinterpretation comes from a lack of knowledge.

HIIT should be performed two to thee time week depending on what the rest of a Training Program look like.

To reiterate, if Higher Intese training is preformed to often, it lead to OverReachng, then OverTraining.

HIIT has been shown to produce effects to Lower Intensity is substantially less time.

One example was that performing a short HIIT Program of Dr Jamie Timmons' 3 Minute HIIT Sprint Program elicit similar or more effective results to an hour of Low Intenisity Cardio.

The issue is with HIIT is that most individual will not push themselves in a HIIT Training Program.

The enthuastic individuals unfamiliar with HIIT often believe more is better which is not so.

Many of the individul on this forum and other one simply have a misunderstanding of how to add a HIIT Program to the current one they have to elicit the optimal training.
the low intensity work that will provide the best heart-health ‘gains’.
Low Intensisty

It provides some health benefits but cannot be categorized as the "Best for Heart-Hearth Gains"; that is misleading.

Last edited:
I have never measured it during training, but no matter how I have trained, I have not felt a headache, nausea, etc. I mean, for example, workouts like 10-12x1 with 90% EMOM, weights for 5x2, 3x5, 8x3, moderate weights for 3x10-12, etc. Squats and deadlifts work the hardest for me with heavier and higher reps, but I don't get to the point where I feel sick.
I am very interested, for example, for what reason should I raise my heart rate before training, as many of the tips are. If I train, for example, according to the given prescriptions for the specific training pattern - singles or 8x3 with more rest in between, or several sets of weight for 2-3 of 10-12 reps per exercise, my heart rate rarely reaches 100. I do not feel short of breath or cardiac fatigue with this type of training, in addition to muscle fatigue. I get my heart rate up on kettlebell swings, snatches, and the like. If I train in the typical bodybuilding style with the recommended rests between sets, I cannot raise my heart rate significantly. It is true that I drink beta blockers, but even before them I still did not increase it with this way of training. In conclusion, I will be at a lower heart rate during exercise than recommended for the warm-up.
But still let's clarify. By moderate intensity you mean % of 1RM (eg weight for 10-12-15 reps) or you mean moderate intensity of effort.
Because in one interpretation, I can train with a moderate effort, but with a weight of 85% of 1 RM, for example, instead of the difficult 3x5, I perform an easy 3x3. Or, for example, training with a weight of 70% of 1RM (moderate weight), but approaching almost failure.
In this particular case, I would stay within the so-called Easy Strength rules:
  • Ten lifts total.
  • No reps under 60% nor above 80%.
  • Almost effortless reps (relatively speaking).
So, let's say something like:
  • 10x1@80% (not necessarily EMOM).
  • 3x3@75%.
  • 2x5@70%.
Thing is, you should ideally move the load easily.

So easy, in fact, that when you finish your workout you should be able to do it again on the spot without any problem (don't do it, just make sure you could).

Do you know that particular feeling when you're working through your third or fourth warm-up set, with a couple more sets left before reaching your working load, and everything feels fantastic? Well... that's Easy Strength in a nutshell.

Last edited:
If I train in the typical bodybuilding style with the recommended rests between sets, I cannot raise my heart rate significantly.
Bodybuilding Training

Traditional REcommended Bodybuilding Reps in a Set are 8-12

Tradition rest periods between set is around 60 seconds.

This protocol is employed to produce TH e Pump.

The Pump produces a down stream anabolic effect.

The combination of moderate load, moderate repetitions and short rest period will drive the heart rate up.

If that doesn't occur at some point in a Periodization Hyperiodization Training Cycle, something not right.

I drink beta blockers, but even before them I still did not increase it
Beta Blockers

For those who lack knowledge in this area, Beta Blocker enable the heart rate be very low when exercising; in the 50s or 60s.

Before then, if you did not get your heart rate up, something is wrong.

In conclusion, I will be at a lower heart rate during exercise than recommended for the warm-up.
Warm Ups

The main objective for Strength Training is to gradually get a feel for the weight, with the focus on Tecnique

That envolves Lower Repetition with longer rest peroids betwen Set. This does little to increase heart rate

I have increased it, but my heart rate, for example, was 65-70, and after the set it reached 90-100. He did not reach 120-130. I have lifted to such levels, but with aerobic training. Usually, for a weight of 10-12 reps, I rest about 1.30 min. With weights of 85-90%, a maximum of 2.30 min.
About an hour ago I was reading some research where a 50% weight was used for 48+-8 year olds on hypertension meds where one group did 3x15 with 88 seconds rest between sets and the other 9x5 with 22 seconds rest between sets . The exercises were for upper and lower limbs. The 3x15 group increased blood pressure much more compared to the 9x5 group. 50% is not a lot of weight, but with 22 seconds of rest between sets, fatigue certainly sets in at 9x5. The research puzzled why most recommendations for such people were to perform sets of 10-15 reps.
Source used: Blood Pressure Increase in Hypertensive Individuals During Resistance Training Protocols With Equated Work to Rest Ratio

The Paradox of HIIT

Research show that HIIT provide a Paradoxical Effect.

It increases Aerobic and Anerobic Capacity.

Low Intensity does not increase Anaerobic Capacity.

Research show a substantial gain in VO2 Max with HIIT comparted to Low Intensity.

EPOC

HIIT elicits EPOC, Excess Post Oxyben Consumption.

This produces an increase in Metaboic Rate hours after training; increasing caloric expenditure.

Low Intensity does no elicit EPOC. Intensity is the key EPOC. Since there is no Intensity.

That is one of the reasion Over Weight individual on Low Intensity do not lose much if any weight.

Over Enthusiatic Individuals

I admire their enthusiasm. However, that often lead to OverReading and the OverTraining

Misinterpretation

The misinterpretation comes from a lack of knowledge.

HIIT should be performed two to thee time week depending on what the rest of a Training Program look like.

To reiterate, if Higher Intese training is preformed to often, it lead to OverReachng, then OverTraining.

HIIT has been shown to produce effects to Lower Intensity is substantially less time.

One example was that performing a short HIIT Program of Dr Jamie Timmons' 3 Minute HIIT Sprint Program elicit similar or more effective results to an hour of Low Intenisity Cardio.

The issue is with HIIT is that most individual will not push themselves in a HIIT Training Program.

The enthuastic individuals unfamiliar with HIIT often believe more is better which is not so.

Many of the individul on this forum and other one simply have a misunderstanding of how to add a HIIT Program to the current one they have to elicit the optimal training.

Low Intensisty

It provides some health benefits but cannot be categorized as the "Best for Heart-Hearth Gains"; that is misleading.
I generalised for ease of description.

Hiit provides different adaptations to the heart.

Epoc is massively over stated. It’s negligible as a benefit.
Performance wise, it also offers best effect for those with a developed aerobic base. The increases are greatest when implemented in a short peaking period following the development of a decent base.
The benefits will then drop off.

Hiit cannot replace low intensity work.

Have a look at Lyle Mac Donald’s articles for a decent summary of the topic

Last edited:
Bodybuilding Training

Traditional REcommended Bodybuilding Reps in a Set are 8-12

Tradition rest periods between set is around 60 seconds.

This protocol is employed to produce TH e Pump.

The Pump produces a down stream anabolic effect.

The combination of moderate load, moderate repetitions and short rest period will drive the heart rate up.

If that doesn't occur at some point in a Periodization Hyperiodization Training Cycle, something not right.

Beta Blockers

For those who lack knowledge in this area, Beta Blocker enable the heart rate be very low when exercising; in the 50s or 60s.

Warm Ups

The main objective for Strength Training is to gradually get a feel for the weight, with the focus on Tecnique

That envolves Lower Repetition with longer rest peroids betwen Set. This does little to increase heart rate
Bodybuilding is more effective with longer rest between sets, seeking to minimise fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom