all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Army ACFT legtuck

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

silverbackcyborg 23

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello all.

I'm having trouble with the Leg tuck event of the new army ACFT. I'm able to do a solid 10 dead hang commando pull ups all the way to my ear (which is more range of motion than I will be doing for the leg tuck) so I know that pulling strength isn't the problem. My issue is I'm unable to get my legs to touch my elbows. I looked for tips online, and it seems like most people have the opposite problem, the leg tuck is the easy part and the pull is hard. Is this a flexibility issue or a lack of abdominal strength?

Not currently in the army. Preparing for Infantry OSUT and SFAS.

I have found that OS cross crawls (all positions) and deep prying goblet squats really help my mobility for the leg tuck. I’m an ACFT level one grader at the moment and have seen similar problems in my unit. Most people need lots of hip mobility work along with strengthening their pull.

Hello all.

I'm having trouble with the Leg tuck event of the new army ACFT. I'm able to do a solid 10 dead hang commando pull ups all the way to my ear (which is more range of motion than I will be doing for the leg tuck) so I know that pulling strength isn't the problem. My issue is I'm unable to get my legs to touch my elbows. I looked for tips online, and it seems like most people have the opposite problem, the leg tuck is the easy part and the pull is hard. Is this a flexibility issue or a lack of abdominal strength?

I’ve seen folks try to pull up + knee raise without trunk flexion. Are you doing this?

When it feels “right”, it’s a half pull up, a knee raise, and a crunch.

Hello all.

How's your Hanging Leg Raise?

Also, I'm assuming you have an 18x contract (if you've already signed)?

[
I’ve seen folks try to pull up + knee raise without trunk flexion. Are you doing this?

When it feels “right”, it’s a half pull up, a knee raise, and a crunch.
I think that's my issue, I'm doing it without truck flexion. For some reason I'm not able to do a trunk flexion like that, probably because I've rarely seriously worked the flexion movement.

How's your Hanging Leg Raise?

Also, I'm assuming you have an 18x contract (if you've already signed)?
Just signed 3 days ago, wasn't able to secure an 18x, got an 11x. Been told if I am able to crush PT there might be a chance to get 18x during OSUT but not holding my breath for it. Focusing on the 10m goal of getting my blue cord now.

UPDATE.

While practicing the movement today I kept repeating what Mr.Ciampa wrote with "half pull up, knee raise and a crunch". I warmed up with a few pull ups and did crunches until I felt a "burn" so I knew what the muscles should feel like when being used. I was able to knock out 5 Leg tucks after that. Definitely a odd and new movement for me, can't wait to see where I can take it with practice. Thank you all for your help

Ok, I know and do hanging leg raises (and can even manage acceptable technique, lol) but have never heard of the leg tuck. What's the best tutorial, or should I stick with hanging leg raises (in the context of general core work)?

UPDATE.

While practicing the movement today I kept repeating what Mr.Ciampa wrote with "half pull up, knee raise and a crunch". I warmed up with a few pull ups and did crunches until I felt a "burn" so I knew what the muscles should feel like when being used. I was able to knock out 5 Leg tucks after that. Definitely a odd and new movement for me, can't wait to see where I can take it with practice. Thank you all for your help
In the context of a “one-piece” strength philosophy and history, I believe that poor performance here is essentially motor skill, and recruitment related. The anterior chain just doesn’t know how to globally flex. Quickly resolved.

Of course, no amount of sit ups, flutter kicks and leg raises will build the strength or motor skill for the leg tuck. I might argue that the dreaded kipping pull up just might.

I believe that the Army got at least one thing right by including the leg tuck in the new PT test

Just signed 3 days ago, wasn't able to secure an 18x, got an 11x. Been told if I am able to crush PT there might be a chance to get 18x during OSUT but not holding my breath for it. Focusing on the 10m goal of getting my blue cord now.
Dam. Did they tell you why?

I hear RASP spots open up every now and then out of basic if you're one of those constantly scoring 300+ (or whatever the equivalent is now), as well as Airborne school. And Old Guard if you're tall, haha.

A Selection spot is usually a pain in the a#@ to secure, and you'd have to go out of your way while you're in your unit to work on that yourself. Leadership might even actively prevent you from going. But if you want it, there's a way.

Dam. Did they tell you why?

I hear RASP spots open up every now and then out of basic if you're one of those constantly scoring 300+ (or whatever the equivalent is now), as well as Airborne school. And Old Guard if you're tall, haha.

A Selection spot is usually a pain in the a#@ to secure, and you'd have to go out of your way while you're in your unit to work on that yourself. Leadership might even actively prevent you from going. But if you want it, there's a way.
There just weren't any available at the moment unfortunately. I'm sure if I waited I could have gotten one, but i had an itch to go ASAP and was able to get a infantry contract leaving within the month. But I've talked to a few recent OSUT grads who told me that both 75th recruiters and SF recruiters showed up and asked for volunteers with a high GT (mines 114) and good PT scores, so fingers crossed.

There just weren't any available at the moment unfortunately. I'm sure if I waited I could have gotten one, but i had an itch to go ASAP and was able to get a infantry contract leaving within the month. But I've talked to a few recent OSUT grads who told me that both 75th recruiters and SF recruiters showed up and asked for volunteers with a high GT (mines 114) and good PT scores, so fingers crossed.
Yeah, I was on the Delayed Entry Program for 8 months for mine. Honestly at Selection anything over the standard in your PT score won't matter as much. They want guys who can run and ruck heavy loads fast, forever, and can land nav really well, so I'd take advantage of any opportunity to improve those in Basic. Good luck!

Thanks, but I meant for the leg tuck; it's an exercise I don't know anything about.

(in any case, I know the tutorial that you posted. Definitely the best for learning the hanging leg raise ? )

Kim Armstrong just put out a new eBook on the leg tuck. She a StrongFirst instructor. Kim Armstrong, StrongFirst-Certified Instructor

Hello all.

Hey there! I specialize in training Soldiers for the ACFT.

You seem to have the strength for the even and just sounds like you may need to adjust your Leg Tuck technique.

Look up at the bar, engage your lats by pushing your armpits forward then pull up. Think about bringing your chest almost parallel to the bar.
This will allow your knees to touch your elbows.

Hope that helps. I have many Leg Tuck training videos if you need a visual.

I just have a question about the standard for the leg tuck. When performing the rep, do I have to have both knees touch my elbows at the same time or can I do one and the other in a quick motion? I can't find the answer anywhere.
Thank you all for your tips on this new event, BTW!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom