all posts post new thread

Old Forum Article on Front Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
I happened upon the article in question from Breaking Muscle.com, finding some decent advice on working front squats into ones routine and thought to share it with the forum.

I am not 100% convinced of the author's castigating the back squat and it's supposed danger over the front squat, due to the knowledge that any movement is only dangerous if it is done incorrectly.

The article on front squats is here: Breaking Muscle Article.

I don't agree with the article - different squats for different purposes, and there is a time and a place for each.  Rif gets it right when he says the powerlifting style back squat isn't a squat, it's a deadlift with the bar on your back - it's a very different movement.  And Dan John gets it right when he says that squatting isn't bad for you, it's how you squat that's bad for you.  There are a lot of awful back squats done, including some that are too much like front squats - that's life, and people ought to take our barbell user course and learn how to each correctly.

-S-

Even movements done proper carry inherent risk without warning. Sometimes the body just gives. In the simplest aspect if safety front squats win because you can dump the bar in front of you. Yes a rack is nice, but many like me squat without and if your back swuattibg you better know the day and have room behind you. Second, you cannot ignore load/leverage and compression. All things being higher in back squats. Not a bad thing really, just a simple truth. I agree with Steve, each serves a goal and as always some just feel better to some and that's so important. You can't be dogmatic and take a hard stance because when breaking muscle does it traps you in a very small box that your always trying to get out of. Arguments full of "but/ what if's".

For what it's worth, I taught my second son, currently in high school, to use front squat, bench press, deadlift as his "big three" and, once I saw his deadlift form kicking in and his numbers going up, then I showed him the back squat.  He's done very well without it so far - has put on a lot of muscle in the last year - but I want him to be able to use it when it's the right movement for him.  I like the idea of bringing both a good front squat and a good deadlift to the back squat.

No science claimed here, just how it's been working at my house.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom