all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Assistance exercises for pullups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My two favorites:
  1. close grip (v-bar) rows/pull-down
  2. straight arm pull-down

Hello,

In addition to row, it is also possible to make the pull up easier, thanks to a pulley and counter-weight (the more you progress, the lighter the counter-weight gets) or using a resistance band (tied to the bar and then you place a feet in the other loop of the band).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Thanks.

How about if you have a particular sticking point? I struggle most with the first couple of inches. Retracting the scapula seems fine, it's when my elbows first start to bend.

If you struggle with the top part, I assume bent arm hangs at the top would be prescribed?

Have you tried rack chins?

Set a barbell in the rack. Place a bench in front of it. Sit your calves on the bench, and have your bum nearly touch the ground. Keep your torso as close to vertical as you can and pull your chest to the bar.

Rack chins!

I don't have a suitable rack but I have low hanging rings in the garage and a box to put my feet on. It felt pretty good and I think I'll spend more time with that exercise.

Currently I can do 6-8 chin-ups or 2 pull-ups. Chins are fine, it's pull-ups that have that specific weak spot.

Last night's workout included 3 sets of 2 in pull-ups, 3x4-5 for chin-ups, and 3x4 "rack" pulls. It felt productive and good but I wonder if it's too much volume for a three/week schedule? Maybe a light day on Wednesday?

Something that I have mentioned several times here works exceptionally well for those trying to get their first pull-up, those recovering from a injury or surgery, or those simply trying to work through sticking points, is the: counterweight/pulley pull-up

It defiantly requires some rigging and you need adequate ceiling space to accommodate the gear, but it is very effective and extremely fine-tunable.

Rack chins!

I don't have a suitable rack but I have low hanging rings in the garage and a box to put my feet on. It felt pretty good and I think I'll spend more time with that exercise.

Currently I can do 6-8 chin-ups or 2 pull-ups. Chins are fine, it's pull-ups that have that specific weak spot.

Last night's workout included 3 sets of 2 in pull-ups, 3x4-5 for chin-ups, and 3x4 "rack" pulls. It felt productive and good but I wonder if it's too much volume for a three/week schedule? Maybe a light day on Wednesday?

You can do 6-8 full body chin ups, but you can't do more than 2 pull ups? Could you do 5x5 chin up?

You know you could do the rack chin thing, but pronate your grip? I.e use a pull up grip.

You can do 6-8 full body chin ups, but you can't do more than 2 pull ups? Could you do 5x5 chin up?

You know you could do the rack chin thing, but pronate your grip? I.e use a pull up grip.

I would struggle with 5x5 chins but 4x4 are quite doable. I'm hoping to get better at pull ups.

Yes, pronated grip on rack chins. I suppose rack pull ups would be a more accurate term.

I would struggle with 5x5 chins but 4x4 are quite doable. I'm hoping to get better at pull ups.

Yes, pronated grip on rack chins. I suppose rack pull ups would be a more accurate term.
I find the two moves to be significantly different, which is why I do both. I don't agree that the pullup is simply an improvement over the chinup as I've read in some places. They work different things and both are worthy. There are also commando pullups which are uneven types. These are good to get out of the overly symmetrical. Holding L and N sits while grasping the bar is good for their own reasons but can help develop a base of strength for full pullups. Also, holding the top position, so basically isometric holds, is all good.

How about if you have a particular sticking point? I struggle most with the first couple of inches. Retracting the scapula seems fine, it's when my elbows first start to bend.
Apply the classic strategy - work the negative. Get yourself to the top, lower at normal speed until you reach the area of your sticking point, then slow way down, even pausing, lowering an inch, pausing again, and so on, until you are past your sticking point. If I understand your sticking point, then you will be wanting to work very slowly through the entire bottom of the range of motion, all the way until your elbows are straight.

This tried-and-true strategy is also great for other things, for a kettlebell military press with a weight you struggle with - jerk or pushpress overhead, lower until the sticking point area, then go through that very slowly and/or with pauses.

For a really fun time :) don't just slow down or pause, lower a small amount, then go halfway back up, then lower again. E.g., for your pullup, once you're into the tough area, lower 2", raise 1", lower 2", raise 1", etc., until you're at the bottom.

Be sure to practice breathing behind the shield if your movement takes longer than you can comfortably execute on a single breath.

Remember that the more time you spend in the difficult area, doing something you can control, the stronger you'll be come.

I don't commend doing a lot of these as they can be very tiring, so be alert for the signs of overtraining.

-S-

I would start at 5x3 on the chin up and add reps when ever possible until you can do 5x5.

I've trained many people to do chin ups, and at that point they usually can do 3-4 pull ups, which is enough to get started on 1,2,3 ladders, and progress from there. Do ladders one day per week, and on other days use the rack pull up.

Hi!

First, can you hang with an undergrip (chinup) hand position with the chin over the bar for 5x60 seconds? In the beginning face of pullup/chinup training it will be a focus on physical preperation for the arm muscle. Why 60 seconds hang, simply because the origin of the arm muscle is endurance based. After that we know which progression to use for our pullup training. High rep ring rows would be an important assistance exercise and also to mobilize the lats. Training should be about physical prepare the body for increased demands later on but first things first, mobility/control then strength.

Yep, too much volume. I even had an extra rest day because my Wednesday was disrupted and chins are really hard today.

As mentioned before, working on negatives is the way to go. Jumping to the bar then going down slowly is a great exercises. Other than that, resistance band assisted pull-ups and australian pull-ups worked great for me when I was starting out.

It's starting to improve already. I've been doing sets of 1-2 with a slow negative through the weak part followed by some chins and finish with scap pull ups.

There's too much great advice to do at the same time. I think I'll make Wednesday a lighter day with bench pullups and I'm trying to find the volume that's productive but I can still recover from for next workout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom