all posts post new thread

Old Forum at what point do you say something?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve B.

Level 5 Valued Member
I commented on a pic on a social media site that one of my freinds wife posted of one of her trainers (she has her own gym)holding a kettlebell in the rack position with the KB in front of the forearm only held with the thumb and fingers.I was compelled to say something about it and did, basically saying the KB was being held wrong in that position and this guy trains groups with KB's and other equipment.Of course my comment was deleted.I did let her husband know that in no way was my comment a put down but more of a safety issue especially if you are teaching others.Have not heard back from either of them and dont expect to.Should i of minded my own business and not commented?

That's a tough thing, and there's probably no one answer to cover all situations. I would say the best bet with a lot of people would be to make the communication as private as possible so as to minimize any embarassment the person feels. Maybe by sending a link to a video of a respected trainer along with a message that you are concerned about safety?

I don't know though. Like I said, this one's tough. I've run into the same question back when I used to train in public gyms.

I can never shut up about those things. Gets me into trouble at times. I do what I believe is the right thing and try to stand tall doing so. So I'm just gonna say: Well done Steve.

While I commend you I tend to bite my own tongue and only advise when people ask me unless I see it in person.

Mike i thought about that also.My comment was unsolicited but being a public forum i decided i would in a respectful way.

It sounds like you did the right thing without being a jerk about it.

I've stopped being totally nice on FB and "liking" crap that I don't like that much... I know I'm not going to win internet popularity contests, but if people express their opinions and views on life or training, then it's okay to disagree in a respectful manner. If they don't like it, they can block me or 'de-friend' me and that's fine - I'm not trying to pump up my number of internet friends I've never met IRL...

I never say anything to anyone unless it's a close friend and even then I try to show and explain why I do it. I haven't been to a gym in ages nor do I really care about what other people do.

About 4 years ago I was in the gym with a few friends and one of my friends did some cable-triceps-pulldown-thing blatantly wrong and some older guy came and told him that he will just hurt himself, showed him how to do the movement correctly and how to receive greater benefits from it. I was more thankful than upset because the old guy just seemed to be concerned about my friends health.

I generally do not comment unless I believe the person would be willing to change what he/she does.  Too much time is wasted trying to help those who do not want help.

Someone posing for a picture is not necessarily focused on perfect form at the time.

Aside from that, your real problem is spending time on facebook.

^ Considering the stream of quality information coming through the strongfirst instructors group on facebook just about 24/7, I'll have to disagree with you on that one.

Thank you Kyle for your insight not sure what to think of it unless your tracking me some how and i dont know it.How would you know how much time i spend on FB?

That said i stay in contact with friends i would other wise not be able to and this question i ask is about  a friends wife that owns a gym.I think there is a chinese saying that a picture is worth a thousand words.

what Rex said. I base it on their shoes: Chucks or weightlifting shoes, i help. Anything else... i let them continue to get no results.

rickard - it's hit or miss, roughly a coin flip. Half have an open mind while the other half will have already consumed too much functional kool aid.

I can't take it anymore, this is the point where I need to say something.  Chuck Taylors are not shoes!  They have all the qualities of shoes like laces and soles, but none of it adds up to an actual pair of shoes.  They're just loose and overpriced slippers with rubber soles and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear people swear by them.  No arch support, slippery insoles, and the canvas uppers wears out way to fast.  I just don't understand the appeal.

That being said, I love the constant support, education and wisdom that comes from this site and the Strongfirst community.  Thank you all.

Chuck Taylors are not shoes!  They have all the qualities of shoes like laces and soles, but none of it adds up to an actual pair of shoes.  They’re just loose and overpriced slippers with rubber soles.

You nailed it. That IS the appeal.

I was starting my second 2-week PTTP cycle today and I saw something that made me think of this post.  I was on my BP set and the fellow next to me was clearly full of the reckless determination that is the mark of someone who has made up his mind to become strong/big but with no real idea of how to go about it and nothing but gumption.  Poor fellow was practically THROWING the barbell up in a movement that looked something like an incline press.  I didn't know if I should be more worried that he was going to wrench his own shoulders out of their sockets or drop the weight on his face first.  It was horrific, every part of his body was moving in every which direction.   After his first set he stopped to ask me how heavy the bar was.  I caught him writing on some printout from bodybuilding.com.  I had a long, hard think between sets as to whether I should put my hand on his shoulder and gently suggest he slow down, work on form and maybe check out some of Pavel's work but I figured he probably had to go through the pain and frustration that I went through ten years ago when I was in his shoes to appreciate the quality of this stuff.  Otherwise it would just sound like me trying to alpha him and promoting some other "body-building" program.  Anyway, when I see stuff like that it makes me glad that it was only ten years after my initial screwup with iron that I found a method that makes sense.  Thanks folks.

charles - exactly. those engaged in bro lifting find the following a hard pill to swallow, "stop kidding yourself and train like an adult," even if you explain using nicer words.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom