all posts post new thread

"Baby steps" type of approach toward OAPU/pistols?

Meghan O'Connell

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hello. I am looking for input on lived experiences (successful or not!) regarding blended training for a long-term SFB goal.

I have a 3-year goal to attempt my SFB in 2027.

As context, I am SFG2 and SFL already, with a rather extensive injury history (mostly soft tissue) which makes asymmetrical work challenging to avoid re-injury; older/smaller female with a lot of my plate in any given week.

I will be able to focus more heavily on bodyweight training after April 2025. In the meantime, over the next 11 months, my main training focus is on deadlifting and bar pressing (plus some short-distance running and a little dabbling in Oly lifting, for technique not for heavy weights).

During that 11-month period, I am thinking of starting to chip away in a low-priority, not super taxing type of way at my SFB goal. (The pullup will be fine; it's the OAPA especially but also the pistol that will need work.)

I'm not sure, however, if this is realistic, especially with a very busy life and given what's usually a typically high recovery need regarding bodyweight training, which can be so neurologically draining.

I'm wondering, has anyone had actual lived experiences you wouldn't mind sharing with this type of approach?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I've had some progress towards a pistol and OAPU doing GTG pistol box squats to a chair and pushups against a counter and chair.

I didn't stick with it for more than a few weeks though. GTG is hard for me because I'm kind of a "do one thing at a time" type personality.

During that 11-month period, I am thinking of starting to chip away in a low-priority, not super taxing type of way at my SFB goal. (The pullup will be fine; it's the OAPA especially but also the pistol that will need work.)

I'm not sure, however, if this is realistic, especially with a very busy life and given what's usually a typically high recovery need regarding bodyweight training, which can be so neurologically draining.

I'm wondering, has anyone had actual lived experiences you wouldn't mind sharing with this type of approach?
I think it will work, especially since you have good strength already from SFG/SFL. I would suggest to start with, make hardstyle planks and varieties of them (one-arm, one-leg) a regular thing to do at the end of your training sessions, whatever they may be. Pick a variety and do 4 of them, 15 sec each, with 30 sec or so of rest between efforts. You can also do this at any point during the day, or a while after your training session, whatever is convenient.

Pistol takes some practice and perhaps a custom approach for each individual, but I would say it doesn't have the same high-tension, super taxing, neurologically-draining type effect that some of the other bodyweight strength training can have. So you could incorporate that training in a variety of ways.

Hello,

Firstly, congratulations on selecting a rewarding long term goal! The OAP and pistol are certainly worthy additions to your strength tool box.

Preamble aside…you said your training is focused on other aspects for nearly a year. Are you searching for a somewhat “side journey” program that won’t interfere with your current training (it’d help to know what you’re doing and how many days a week you can devote to this side hustle).

There are numerous roads to Rome. I wrote extensively in the forums somewhere about the methods I used to achieve the OAP and pistols. The trick is finding one that:

a) uses what you have available
b) fits your personal preferences

OAP
I suffered a Pec Tear in 2014 and my shoulder has been like Mike Myers career following “Love Guru”…never the same again. So I feel your “pain” in the injury department, especially when it came to the OAP.

When I first started the journey, I failed miserably at the OAP and was awarded merely a cranky shoulder for my efforts. So I started practicing….a lot.

The key to advanced BW movements is practicing the movement in its integral form while increasing your leverage, doing an easier variation or decreasing the load. For sure sample, a dragon flag with bent knees is easier than straight legs.

For the OAP, there are a few key ways to do this.

An example of the first would be
- Elevate the pressing hand on (boxes, bumper plates, a ledge, the wall….)

The second way (easier variation)
-These would be partial aspects of the lift.

These might include OAP plank holds or negatives only. These can help with specific portions or aspects of the lift such as the tightness at the top and the eccentric motion of rowing your elbow.

The third way (decrease the weight)
For me, the best way to do this is with resistance bands. This is the closest to resembling the actual lift and replicates the progression of gradually adding a load to a barbell.

In this method, loop the band around a STURDY ANCHOR of proper height and then around your waist so as you lower, the band takes some of your bodyweight as it stretches. If you use a squat rack, please make sure you won’t pull the bar off the j-hooks and onto your back. I used a low level monkey bar at a park, just around waste height. A pull-up bar may work, if it’s not too high. Start with a heavy band and graduate to lighter ones over time until Voila! The band is no longer needed.

My path
I used a variety of the above methods in an Easy strength fashion (5days a week) allocating to certain variations to heavy,medium or light. For example if I did negatives (a demanding variation), the next day I might just use OAP plank holds, which would give the shoulder a break. Using these methods, I achieved the OAP fairly quickly. The OAOLPU followed shortly after.

THE PISTOL
For me, the most challenging aspect of the pistol was the mobility required to perform it unloaded. In fact, with your training background, you may be able to perform the pistol already with a light KB but find you fall backwards or lose balance with no counterweight! The problem usually exists within the ankle, thus, elevating your heel will probably allow you to do a pistol fairly well immediately, though, this can be tricky for achy knees.

Here are some alternate methods for achieving the pistol.

Partial ROM
The box pistol is the answer here. Doesn’t have to be a box either, could be a chair. Descend slowly on one leg until your glute lightly touches the chair then spring back up. Bouncing off the chair will do more harm than good. A slow, controlled and high tension descent is the way. Keep tight in the bottom then Zip up! To progress, graduate to a lower object or stand on something so your box gets lower.

Increase Leverage
This comes in the form of elevating the heel to decrease the ankle demands (an oly shoe might help here also). You can use many objects for this: notebooks, plywood or even a ramp that you can slowly decrease the angle to zero on eventually.

I also lump using a counterweight as an example here where you progress by actually decreasing the weight until you can do one freestanding. In addition, you can also use a band and wrap it around a door handle and use it to pull you forward. Cup the bands like your about to do rows, and as you squat, pull the band in towards you as needed to keep yourself from falling backwards. You may need to toggle the distance from the door a few times and place a pillow below your glutes just in case.

Addendum
- I felt some light band work for my upper back helped keeper my shoulders healthy. If you’re also training pull-ups, this may be enough. However, I find they don’t hit the scapular retractors enough, especially if your doing the hollow, tactical style.

- Frequent practice is best but…you must vary the intensity. Easier and harder version should be a part of your toolbox.

-Don’t rush progression, especially if your prone to injury. I made the mistake of making jolting progress and instead of backing off (when I should have), I’d keep pushing. This led to setbacks. After a major improvement, it is wise to back off and build up slowly again.

-
It goes without saying but still must be said and not to infer anything but BW exercises are easier if you are lighter!

That’s all I have for now but Good Luck! Would love to here your progress and if you have any questions, shoot!

Last edited:

Wow, the advice by @Philippe Geoffrion is gold!

I am currently working on my OAP. I have found that a board leaning against sturdy objects is really helpful, as this allows you to train the specific wrist position.

And then I have found that an underloading phase (as described in S&S) seems to do me a lot of good. OAP needs a lot of tension, and having a training phase here and there when you keep it easy seems to help with managing tension.

Here is an article by Sven Rieger with programming by Fabio Zonin:

This one might also be helpful

Here is a classic from Coach Karen

And my personal favourite is this one from Aleks Salkin:

Have you tested your baselines yet? So you know what needs the most work and which ones would be easier to check off?

@Meghan O'Connell, some simple advice for you on the pistol.

A weight can function as both as additional resistance to any bodyweight exercise, but for both pistols and goblet squats when you're starting out, think of it as a counter-balance rather than a real "load." With that in mind, I would try pistols with a light weight and see how you do.

For me, if I use a 12 kg or so, give me a few days and I can get my pistol back on both sides - if that works for you, then I'd say you're ready to consider training it more seriously, and I'd go in the direction of using less weight, not more, in order to obtain a bodyweight-only pistol. But if you aren't able to do a pistol with a comfortable counter-balance in relatively short order, then I'd say you need to look at regressions and not progressions - nothing wrong with that, of course.

My favorite pistol progression was to start with a 5 lb plate in each hand, held at arms length for maximum counter-balancing effect, and work up to 5 reps each side that way, then I got some light dumbbells and worked with 4 lb in each hand, up to 4 reps. Then 3 lbs in each hand and up to 3 reps, 2 lbs and 2 reps, 1 lb and a 1 rep, and when I could do all that in a single session, I was able to get a bodyweight-only pistol on each side.

A bodyweight-only pistol accomplished, you could certainly continue by using heavier weights and then you'd treat the resistance as a real load rather than a counter-balance. I have never gone that route, just haven't felt the need to. I found that the real benefits for me lay in being able to pistol bodyweight-only.

Hope this is helpful to you.

-S-

I've had some progress towards a pistol and OAPU doing GTG pistol box squats to a chair and pushups against a counter and chair.

I didn't stick with it for more than a few weeks though. GTG is hard for me because I'm kind of a "do one thing at a time" type personality.
Thanks! Yes, in addition to all the other things, there is that personality aspect also. Much appreciated :)

I think it will work, especially since you have good strength already from SFG/SFL. I would suggest to start with, make hardstyle planks and varieties of them (one-arm, one-leg) a regular thing to do at the end of your training sessions, whatever they may be. Pick a variety and do 4 of them, 15 sec each, with 30 sec or so of rest between efforts. You can also do this at any point during the day, or a while after your training session, whatever is convenient.

Pistol takes some practice and perhaps a custom approach for each individual, but I would say it doesn't have the same high-tension, super taxing, neurologically-draining type effect that some of the other bodyweight strength training can have. So you could incorporate that training in a variety of ways.
Thanks! Yes, I had been thinking that the pistol might be a better natural fit than the OAPU. Great suggestion on doing hardstyle plank variants often :)

Hello,

Firstly, congratulations on selecting a rewarding long term goal! The OAP and pistol are certainly worthy additions to your strength tool box.

Preamble aside…you said your training is focused on other aspects for nearly a year. Are you searching for a somewhat “side journey” program that won’t interfere with your current training (it’d help to know what you’re doing and how many days a week you can devote to this side hustle).

There are numerous roads to Rome. I wrote extensively in the forums somewhere about the methods I used to achieve the OAP and pistols. The trick is finding one that:

a) uses what you have available
b) fits your personal preferences

OAP
I suffered a Pec Tear in 2014 and my shoulder has been like Mike Myers career following “Love Guru”…never the same again. So I feel your “pain” in the injury department, especially when it came to the OAP.

When I first started the journey, I failed miserably at the OAP and was awarded merely a cranky shoulder for my efforts. So I started practicing….a lot.

The key to advanced BW movements is practicing the movement in its integral form while increasing your leverage, doing an easier variation or decreasing the load. For sure sample, a dragon flag with bent knees is easier than straight legs.

For the OAP, there are a few key ways to do this.

An example of the first would be
- Elevate the pressing hand on (boxes, bumper plates, a ledge, the wall….)

The second way (easier variation)
-These would be partial aspects of the lift.

These might include OAP plank holds or negatives only. These can help with specific portions or aspects of the lift such as the tightness at the top and the eccentric motion of rowing your elbow.

The third way (decrease the weight)
For me, the best way to do this is with resistance bands. This is the closest to resembling the actual lift and replicates the progression of gradually adding a load to a barbell.

In this method, loop the band around a STURDY ANCHOR of proper height and then around your waist so as you lower, the band takes some of your bodyweight as it stretches. If you use a squat rack, please make sure you won’t pull the bar off the j-hooks and onto your back. I used a low level monkey bar at a park, just around waste height. A pull-up bar may work, if it’s not too high. Start with a heavy band and graduate to lighter ones over time until Voila! The band is no longer needed.

My path
I used a variety of the above methods in an Easy strength fashion (5days a week) allocating to certain variations to heavy,medium or light. For example if I did negatives (a demanding variation), the next day I might just use OAP plank holds, which would give the shoulder a break. Using these methods, I achieved the OAP fairly quickly. The OAOLPU followed shortly after.

THE PISTOL
For me, the most challenging aspect of the pistol was the mobility required to perform it unloaded. In fact, with your training background, you may be able to perform the pistol already with a light KB but find you fall backwards or lose balance with no counterweight! The problem usually exists within the ankle, thus, elevating your heel will probably allow you to do a pistol fairly well immediately, though, this can be tricky for achy knees.

Here are some alternate methods for achieving the pistol.

Partial ROM
The box pistol is the answer here. Doesn’t have to be a box either, could be a chair. Descend slowly on one leg until your glute lightly touches the chair then spring back up. Bouncing off the chair will do more harm than good. A slow, controlled and high tension descent is the way. Keep tight in the bottom then Zip up! To progress, graduate to a lower object or stand on something so your box gets lower.

Increase Leverage
This comes in the form of elevating the heel to decrease the ankle demands (an oly shoe might help here also). You can use many objects for this: notebooks, plywood or even a ramp that you can slowly decrease the angle to zero on eventually.

I also lump using a counterweight as an example here where you progress by actually decreasing the weight until you can do one freestanding. In addition, you can also use a band and wrap it around a door handle and use it to pull you forward. Cup the bands like your about to do rows, and as you squat, pull the band in towards you as needed to keep yourself from falling backwards. You may need to toggle the distance from the door a few times and place a pillow below your glutes just in case.

Addendum
- I felt some light band work for my upper back helped keeper my shoulders healthy. If you’re also training pull-ups, this may be enough. However, I find they don’t hit the scapular retractors enough, especially if your doing the hollow, tactical style.

- Frequent practice is best but…you must vary the intensity. Easier and harder version should be a part of your toolbox.

-Don’t rush progression, especially if your prone to injury. I made the mistake of making jolting progress and instead of backing off (when I should have), I’d keep pushing. This led to setbacks. After a major improvement, it is wise to back off and build up slowly again.

-
It goes without saying but still must be said and not to infer anything but BW exercises are easier if you are lighter!

That’s all I have for now but Good Luck! Would love to here your progress and if you have any questions, shoot!
Whoo-hoo, wonderful in-depth input! Thanks!

Yes, one good thing is that I am relatively light (122 lb / 55 kg - ish). Another good thing is that I've worked enough on ankle mobility that it's no longer an issue.

For the next 4 months, I'm not sure how much time I will have to devote to this due to a very intensive school program that starts during the first week of May, but by the end of August I expect to have enough breathing room to be more in charge of my own schedule again more.

I'm going to paste your reply into a running Google file that I have going. I will try to remember to report back to you after school finishes, then maybe a few months again after that.

Thanks again :)

Wow, the advice by @Philippe Geoffrion is gold!

I am currently working on my OAP. I have found that a board leaning against sturdy objects is really helpful, as this allows you to train the specific wrist position.

And then I have found that an underloading phase (as described in S&S) seems to do me a lot of good. OAP needs a lot of tension, and having a training phase here and there when you keep it easy seems to help with managing tension.

Here is an article by Sven Rieger with programming by Fabio Zonin:

This one might also be helpful

Here is a classic from Coach Karen

And my personal favourite is this one from Aleks Salkin:
Thanks! Part of what I'm doing today is getting a running article going, and this saves me hunting around for the various relevant SF articles. Much appreciated :) And also your input on the board and wrist position. That makes sense. I also feel it may be one of the easiest ways to train anything for the next 4 months while I'm in school in an intensive program, so I can do a bit of GTG in my room in residence. Take care.

@Meghan O'Connell, some simple advice for you on the pistol.

A weight can function as both as additional resistance to any bodyweight exercise, but for both pistols and goblet squats when you're starting out, think of it as a counter-balance rather than a real "load." With that in mind, I would try pistols with a light weight and see how you do.

For me, if I use a 12 kg or so, give me a few days and I can get my pistol back on both sides - if that works for you, then I'd say you're ready to consider training it more seriously, and I'd go in the direction of using less weight, not more, in order to obtain a bodyweight-only pistol. But if you aren't able to do a pistol with a comfortable counter-balance in relatively short order, then I'd say you need to look at regressions and not progressions - nothing wrong with that, of course.

My favorite pistol progression was to start with a 5 lb plate in each hand, held at arms length for maximum counter-balancing effect, and work up to 5 reps each side that way, then I got some light dumbbells and worked with 4 lb in each hand, up to 4 reps. Then 3 lbs in each hand and up to 3 reps, 2 lbs and 2 reps, 1 lb and a 1 rep, and when I could do all that in a single session, I was able to get a bodyweight-only pistol on each side.

A bodyweight-only pistol accomplished, you could certainly continue by using heavier weights and then you'd treat the resistance as a real load rather than a counter-balance. I have never gone that route, just haven't felt the need to. I found that the real benefits for me lay in being able to pistol bodyweight-only.

Hope this is helpful to you.

-S-
Hi. It is indeed helpful, and thank you! At this point, I have managed to get a little closer to a pistol by using a few assistance methods, but at this point I still need regressions... however I'm looking forward to the day when I can go with your progressions list! I know from what you've written elsewhere than you hit a deadlift PR in your early 60's, I believe it was? May I ask how you would correlate that with when you became able to do a proper bodyweight pistol? TIA, as they say.

I like assisted pistol squats with suspension strap (eg. NOSSK trainer or rings with straps). The straps turn the pistol squat into more of a strength exercise and less of a stability/balance exercise and help you practice the movement with a foot-knee-hip alignment that is healthy for your joints. It's quick and easy to progress or regress the difficulty level. After you progress all the way to unassisted pistol squat, you could still use the straps for assistance with weighted pistol squats.

Hi. It is indeed helpful, and thank you!
You're welcome, Meghan.

I know from what you've written elsewhere than you hit a deadlift PR in your early 60's, I believe it was?
I began weight training mid-40's and competing in 2004, age 49. Below are competition lifetime PR's:

Year (my age): weight in kg (lbs)

2004 (49): 157.5 kg (347 lb)
2006 (51): 160 (353)
2014 (59): 162.5 (358)
2017 (62): 165.5 (365)
2022: (66): 167.5 (369)
2022: (67): 170 (375)

All as raw, 67.5 kg (148 lb). I don't wear a belt.

May I ask how you would correlate that with when you became able to do a proper bodyweight pistol? TIA, as they say.
There was actually a gap of about five years, 2007-12, when I didn't compete at PL, and if memory serves, that's when I achieved my pistol, so there may be a negative correlation for me.

-S-

Whoo-hoo, wonderful in-depth input! Thanks!

Yes, one good thing is that I am relatively light (122 lb / 55 kg - ish). Another good thing is that I've worked enough on ankle mobility that it's no longer an issue.

For the next 4 months, I'm not sure how much time I will have to devote to this due to a very intensive school program that starts during the first week of May, but by the end of August I expect to have enough breathing room to be more in charge of my own schedule again more.

I'm going to paste your reply into a running Google file that I have going. I will try to remember to report back to you after school finishes, then maybe a few months again after that.

Thanks again :)
Great! Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

There’s a reason @Philippe Geoffrion is a “Level 7 Valued Member.” His post is great.

I personally blended the use of leverage and static holds. Nothing fancy. Just held a part of the movement while generating as much tension as possible. I believe “my method” is one of the ones mentioned from Naked Warrior, as I’m certainly not useful enough to come up with it on my own.

Started by going down 1/4 rep and holding it there. Then 1/2 rep, then 3/4 rep, then the rock bottom position. Once rock bottom was achieved, I stayed there a while. Negative down to rock bottom, hold with as much tension as possible.

When you accidentally start coming up, that’s when it’s time to move on. Negative to rock bottom, come up just 1/4 of the way and hold. Progress to coming up to 1/2 of the way and holding, then 3/4 of the way and holding. Then a full rep.

Adding leverage helped with the OAOL pushup. I started all this a countertop height. Then found a series of box jump things and worked my way from highest to lowest. Until eventually I was working with the floor.

I like assisted pistol squats with suspension strap (eg. NOSSK trainer or rings with straps). The straps turn the pistol squat into more of a strength exercise and less of a stability/balance exercise and help you practice the movement with a foot-knee-hip alignment that is healthy for your joints. It's quick and easy to progress or regress the difficulty level. After you progress all the way to unassisted pistol squat, you could still use the straps for assistance with weighted pistol squats.

Thank you -- what a great and clear video! (No "hodge-podge wibble-wobble...") Much appreciated :)

You're welcome, Meghan.

I began weight training mid-40's and competing in 2004, age 49. Below are competition lifetime PR's:

Year (my age): weight in kg (lbs)

2004 (49): 157.5 kg (347 lb)
2006 (51): 160 (353)
2014 (59): 162.5 (358)
2017 (62): 165.5 (365)
2022: (66): 167.5 (369)
2022: (67): 170 (375)

All as raw, 67.5 kg (148 lb). I don't wear a belt.

There was actually a gap of about five years, 2007-12, when I didn't compete at PL, and if memory serves, that's when I achieved my pistol, so there may be a negative correlation for me.

-S-
Very interesting; thank you so much! I had my first powerlifting competition in my early 50s, and I don't wear a belt either (ever), so this is very useful to me. Not sure I would call it a negative correlation for you, though -- rather, one could actually consider that achieving your pistol may have helped set a good base for the later PRs. I know that personally I don't have the results yet that I am capable of achieving, and I feel that the bodyweight practice may allow me to achieve better full-body tension and circle back to the lifting with better numbers. My ratios aren't where you are yet, but it is very encouraging to me and I really do appreciate your detailed input. Take care :)

There’s a reason @Philippe Geoffrion is a “Level 7 Valued Member.” His post is great.

I personally blended the use of leverage and static holds. Nothing fancy. Just held a part of the movement while generating as much tension as possible. I believe “my method” is one of the ones mentioned from Naked Warrior, as I’m certainly not useful enough to come up with it on my own.

Started by going down 1/4 rep and holding it there. Then 1/2 rep, then 3/4 rep, then the rock bottom position. Once rock bottom was achieved, I stayed there a while. Negative down to rock bottom, hold with as much tension as possible.

When you accidentally start coming up, that’s when it’s time to move on. Negative to rock bottom, come up just 1/4 of the way and hold. Progress to coming up to 1/2 of the way and holding, then 3/4 of the way and holding. Then a full rep.

Adding leverage helped with the OAOL pushup. I started all this a countertop height. Then found a series of box jump things and worked my way from highest to lowest. Until eventually I was working with the floor.
Thank you! I am a big fan of "nothing fancy," and especially because for the next 4 months while I'm in an intensive school program, I may only have access to very minimal facilities throughout the week, this is super useful. Much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom