all posts post new thread

"Baby steps" type of approach toward OAPU/pistols?

With pistols, I found a bottom-up approach worked best for me. If I feel stable at the bottom, then descending to it isn't as scary.

I don't spend much time w. pistols and, in fact, I don't think I've done one for probably close to a decade. I squat a lot and do some Bulgarian split squats, so the strength is generally there - your challenges might not be the same as mine. If I wanted to get back into pistols, I'd start at the bottom and when I can feel stable and balanced in that position and the hip flexors and hamstrings of raised leg aren't screaming to stop, I know I'd be good to go.

With pistols, I found a bottom-up approach worked best for me. If I feel stable at the bottom, then descending to it isn't as scary.

I don't spend much time w. pistols and, in fact, I don't think I've done one for probably close to a decade. I squat a lot and do some Bulgarian split squats, so the strength is generally there - your challenges might not be the same as mine. If I wanted to get back into pistols, I'd start at the bottom and when I can feel stable and balanced in that position and the hip flexors and hamstrings of raised leg aren't screaming to stop, I know I'd be good to go.
Much appreciated!! Of course, it does make sense to get comfortable in that end-range position, especially because stability at depth is an issue for me. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom