all posts post new thread

Back to it, the road to strict pressing the 40KG

Washed up Meathead.

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm new here and have just got back into kettlebells after a few years break from them. I've trained with kettlebells on and off for 20 years. I first bought an Eleiko 16kg when I was about 16 and I still have it.

I love kettlebells but Im not a Kettlebell purist and I train with barbells, weighted bodyweight moves and various machines sometimes but I recently had the itch the get back into kettlebell moves. In 2020 when COVID hit I used kettlebells exclusively but haven't really touched them much until a few weeks ago.

Im 36 years old, 5ft 8.5in tall and weigh between 158-175lbs normally but at the minute I'm about 173lbs on the heavier side and plan to cut a few lbs to be leaner.

I thought I'd start a log to document my main goal of strict Pressing the 40kg Kettlebell I just bought 2 days ago. It actually weighs in at 40.7kg so on the heavy side as well. It would be over half Bodyweight for me and a good achievement I think..I've neglected overhead work a lot over the years in the past but this year I've really focused on it.

Last edited:
I'm only going to write down work weights and not include warm ups as it's too time consuming so all the weights stated are after a warm up.

Tuesday 6th june BW 78.5kg

Just a low volume session to get used to the 40kg, I haven't used anything over a 32kg before now.

Single arm swing
40kg 2x15 L+R

Single arm clean
40kg 2x10 L+R

Bottoms up cleans
40kg 3 X 1 R
40kg X 3 attempts left*my left wrist is weaker
28kg X 10 L+R

Last edited:
That's a strong clean.
Can you hold a bottoms up 36 or 32kg clean?
Thank you. This was my first try doing a bottoms up clean with a 40kg, I did a few sets of singles to get used to it . I couldn't quite get it left handed though as my left wrist is a bit weaker but I will with more practice. Before then I hadn't tried over a 32kg.

Yes with a 32kg, but What do you mean hold it? For timed holds? I have no access to a 36kg.

I can bottoms up strict press(no leg drive) a 32kg for a single on a good day(it's very difficult though), the 28kg for 4 reps and the 24kg for 8 reps.

Last edited:
BW 79kg on the dot.

Weighed dips*

+40kg X 1
+45.5kg/100lbs X 2
+30kg X 8

* This is my first time dipping all year as I had a Left side AC joint strain in January and I've been cautious when reintroducing pressing moves. It feels 100% healed now so back to dips as I've always loved them.

Rope pushdowns(slow and controlled)

55kg X 8
50kg X 10
45kg X 10

Neck harness flexion

55kg X 10
50kg X 10
45kg X 12

A solid session today, shoulder felt good.

Last edited:
Thank you. This was my first try doing a bottoms up clean with a 40kg, I did a few sets of singles to get used to it . I couldn't quite get it left handed though as my left wrist is a bit weaker but I will with more practice. Before then I hadn't tried over a 32kg.

Yes with a 32kg, but What do you mean hold it? For timed holds? I have no access to a 36kg.

I can bottoms up strict press(no leg drive) a 32kg for a single on a good day(it's very difficult though), the 28kg for 4 reps and the 24kg for 8 reps.
"Hold it" as hold a bottoms up rack position.
That's dope you can bottoms up press the 32kg - have you tried pressing the 40kg at all?
I can press a 40 but don't think I'm even close to bottoms up pressing a 32kg, though I haven't tried.

"Hold it" as hold a bottoms up rack position.
That's dope you can bottoms up press the 32kg - have you tried pressing the 40kg at all?
I can press a 40 but don't think I'm even close to bottoms up pressing a 32kg, though I haven't tried.
I can hold a 32kg for ages in the rack position. Annoyingly the 32kg rogue bell at the gym I train at actually weighs in at 33.1kg so on the heavy side.

I've only used my new 40kg bell once so I'll have to work on holding it in the rack position, it will take a bit of training.

There is no way I can strict press it, I'm relatively weak Overhead with years of neglecting overhead work but this year I've really worked on it so im getting stronger on Overhead moves.

I can't even strict press a 40kg normal grip but it's a goal, I could probably push press it now but I haven't tried yet.

Bottoms up Pressing is my fave kbell move. The 32kg is very difficult. I prefer using the 24 and 28 for reps for reps. Reps are a real test, the longer the set goes on the more difficult it is. Also my 24kg is a competition bell which has a 33mm handle so it's harder with thinner handles and obviously comp bells are wider but I love the challenge of it.

Do you train bottoms up presses much?

Edit.

That's very impressive that you can press the 40kg.

BW 78.2kg.

Weighed pull-ups(full dead hang ROM)

+17.5kg X 3
+25kg X 3
+30kg X 3
+25kg 2x3
+20kg 2x3

Kettlebell snatches(first time since 2020)

16kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 3 L+R
28kg X 2 L+R
32kg X 1 L+R
40KG 3x1 right. 2 attempts left
32kg X 3 L
28kg X 3 L

Reverse barbell curl(strict controlled)

30kg X 3
35kg X 3
40kg X 3
30kg X 10
30kg X 6

A solid session. I'm very pleased I could snatch the 40kg bell first try.

Annoyingly the 32kg rogue bell at the gym I train at actually weighs in at 33.1kg so on the heavy side.
That's gotta be annoying - especially since its a Rogue bell (I thought they made quality stuff?)

There is no way I can strict press it, I'm relatively weak Overhead with years of neglecting overhead work but this year I've really worked on it so im getting stronger on Overhead moves.
You've got some strong dips though - do you find they carryover to overhead for you?
I'm also notoriously weak at overhead work & the only thing that really worked for me was dips. My shoulder is f'd currently so I don't do them. Love them though.

Bottoms up Pressing is my fave kbell move. The 32kg is very difficult. I prefer using the 24 and 28 for reps for reps. Reps are a real test, the longer the set goes on the more difficult it is. Also my 24kg is a competition bell which has a 33mm handle so it's harder with thinner handles and obviously comp bells are wider but I love the challenge of it.

Do you train bottoms up presses much?

Edit.

That's very impressive that you can press the 40kg
Interesting.
Would you say you are more of a "grinder" or an "explosive" lifter?
I never train bottoms up presses - getting tight for an extended period of time is a real challenge for me, I find it very uncomfortable for the most part. Feels unnatural for me. Obviously something I should work on lol.

And thanks! But my press probably isn't as strict as yours.

That's gotta be annoying - especially since its a Rogue bell (I thought they made quality stuff?)

You've got some strong dips though - do you find they carryover to overhead for you?
I'm also notoriously weak at overhead work & the only thing that really worked for me was dips. My shoulder is f'd currently so I don't do them. Love them though.

Interesting.
Would you say you are more of a "grinder" or an "explosive" lifter?
I never train bottoms up presses - getting tight for an extended period of time is a real challenge for me, I find it very uncomfortable for the most part. Feels unnatural for me. Obviously something I should work on lol.

And thanks! But my press probably isn't as strict as yours.
Oh yeah I hate when weights are off by that much, I'd have expected more from rogue. My 40kg is actually 40.7kg so not too bad.

Thanks but personally I don't get carryover from dips to overhead work, I know some do but I dont. I'm just started back on them. My best is 60kg/132 and 50kg/110lbs X 3 reps, that when I trained them consistently though. I'd only be good for about 50kg atm.

To me I need direct work for overhead to progress.

I do find bottoms up Pressing carries over well to regular grip though so get some done and you wrist strength will really help everything you do. I love them.

I'd say I'm a bit of both, Im explosive in stuff like power cleans and box jumps but good at grinding. I've really attacked overhead work this year after years on neglect and inconsistency. I recently set a new P.R and honestly it was probably the toughest grinder rep I've ever done but I stayed tight and never gave up I wanted it so bad.

Check this crazy grinder out lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230606_093721.jpg
    IMG_20230606_093721.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
I got my 24k and 32k from a new supplier during covid (tool manufacturer converted to meet kb demands) and they openly admitted that their first batches were off by up to 5lbs. I just consider it free extra iron!
Your lifts are impressive though. You may be inspiring some bottoms up work around here.

I got my 24k and 32k from a new supplier during covid (tool manufacturer converted to meet kb demands) and they openly admitted that their first batches were off by up to 5lbs. I just consider it free extra iron!
Your lifts are impressive though. You may be inspiring some bottoms up work around here.
Thank you for chiming in. Whoa that is over 2kg over weight. Just Crazy man but yes a bonus in a one way. I'd have expected more from a big brand like rogue though but it is cast iron and obviously varies.

I'm glad my 40kg isnt too far off 40.

Thank you, bottoms up Pressing is my fave kbell move. I just love the challenge of repping them out, the longer the set goes on the more challenging it gets. It's a real mental test to keep control and obviously the physical benefits are numerous.

I've got absolutely tint wrist and arm bones, like I started with 6.5" wrist but through years of heavy pulling and grip and wrist work my tendons have thickened but they are still only 6.75" right and 6.7/8" around left.

I find BU presses one of the best wrist exercises you can do. I'm glad I could inspire people to do more BU work.

I bottoms up cleaned my 40kg but I can't even press a 40kg normal grip. That's my main goal with it then one day I will bottoms up press the 40kg but that will take a lot of training but I love a challenge.

Thank you for chiming in. Whoa that is over 2kg over weight. Just Crazy man but yes a bonus in a one way. I'd have expected more from a big brand like rogue though but it is cast iron and obviously varies.

I'm glad my 40kg isnt too far off 40.

Thank you, bottoms up Pressing is my fave kbell move. I just love the challenge of repping them out, the longer the set goes on the more challenging it gets. It's a real mental test to keep control and obviously the physical benefits are numerous.

I've got absolutely tint wrist and arm bones, like I started with 6.5" wrist but through years of heavy pulling and grip and wrist work my tendons have thickened but they are still only 6.75" right and 6.7/8" around left.

I find BU presses one of the best wrist exercises you can do. I'm glad I could inspire people to do more BU work.

I bottoms up cleaned my 40kg but I can't even press a 40kg normal grip. That's my main goal with it then one day I will bottoms up press the 40kg but that will take a lot of training but I love a challenge.
It is very overweight. 24k i think is around 55# and the 32k is like 74? I like bottoms up as well but haven’t focused on it since i was working on bu tgu. Should be a good pressing accessory

It is very overweight. 24k i think is around 55# and the 32k is like 74? I like bottoms up as well but haven’t focused on it since i was working on bu tgu. Should be a good pressing accessory
That's nearly 4lbs over or so. A very heavy margin of error.

Yes you are correct I think, to me bottoms up Pressing carries over very well to normal grip as you have to stay so tight and controlled.

Wow, a BU TGU must be brutal!

BW 78.8kg.

Bottoms up clean and press

16kg X 5 L+R
20kg X 3 L+R
24kg X 1 L+R
28kg X 1 L+R
28kg X 1 L+R
28kg X 1 L+R

Clean and press
24kg X 3 L+R
28kg X 2 L+R
28kg X 3 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R

Single arm swings
16kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R
32kg X 5 L+R
40kg X 10 L+R

A middle of the road workout, I never tend to have the best workouts on a Monday after 2 days rest as my CNS is sleepy.

BW 79.2kg ( I'm holding water)

Chinups using Angles 90 grip handles*

* These are more difficult than normal chinups on a bar, like a hybrid of pull-ups and chinups with a big ROM and more unstable. I always use a full dead hang Rom.

BW 2x5
+ 10kg X 3
+20kg X 3
+30kg X 2
+25kg X 3
+20kg X 3
+20kg X 3
+15kg X 3
+10kg X 6

Neck harness flexion

20kg X 10
35kg X 6
50kg X 4
55kg X 10
50kg X 11
45kg X 15

A solid session, it's nice to be back using Angles 90 grips for chinups/pullups

BW 78.6KG.

Single arm kbell press

12kg X 5 L+R
16kg X 5 L+R
20kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R
28kg X 4 L+R
24kg X 8 L+R
24kg X 6 L+R
24kg X 6 L+R

Single arm swing
16kg X 8 L+R
24kg X 8 L+R
32kg X 10 L+R
32kg X 10 L+R
32kg X 10 L+R
32kg X 10 L+R

hanging straight leg raises
2x10

A real solid session, I felt good.

BW 78.4kg

Kettlebell hammer curl - Strict back against wall

16kg X 8
20kg X 6
24kg X 4
28kg X 2
32kg X 2
40kg X 3
40kg X 4
40kg X 5

Kettlebell hammer curl
40kg X 5
40kg X 4
32kg X 5

Alternating Kettlebell Pronation*

*The reps are how many I did each side to be clear not total.

12kg kg X 6 L+R
16kg X 3 L+R
20kg X 1 L+R
16kg X 10 L+R
12kg X 20 L+R

The kettlebell Pronation is way tougher than they look.

A solid bicep and forearm session, the Kettlebell curls by the horn are very wrist heavy. It's tough to keep radial deviation.

Last edited:
BW 78.6KG

Single arm kettlebell Push press*

12kg X 5 L+R
16kg X 3 L+R
20kg X 3 L+R
24kg X 2 L+R
28Kg X 1 L+R
32Kg X 1 L+R
32Kg X 1 L+R
32Kg X 3 L+R
32Kg X 3 L+R
32Kg X 3 L+R
28Kg X 5 L+R
28Kg X 5 L+R

Kettlebell snatch*

20kg X 5 L+R
24kg X 5 L+R
28Kg X 5 L+R
32Kg X 5 L+R
32Kg X 5 L+R
32Kg X 5 L+R

Rope pushdowns(strict and controlled)

20kg X 8
35kg X 6
50kg X 4
55kg X 8
50kg X 8
45kg X 8

A real solid session working on technique.

*The 32kg Rogue bell at the gym actually weighs 33.1kg so it's on the heavy side.

BW 79.2kg( holding water off booze at the weekend)

Standing Overhead press
30kg X 5
37.5kg X 4
45kg X 3
50kg X 2
55kg X 1
60kg X 1
65kg X 1
60kg X 1
52.5kg X 3
52.3kg x3

Rope Tricep pushdowns(strict and controlled)
20kg X 8
35kg X 4
50kg X 2
60kg X 4
55kg X 8
50kg X 7

Neck harness flexion
20kg X 10
35kg X 10
40kg X 22
40kg X 15

Not a bad session, my first time overhead Pressing on a barbell for 3 weeks and I felt strong.

Back
Top Bottom