all posts post new thread

Back to KB Strong

John Grahill

Level 8 Valued Member
Ok so this past 1 1/2 years has been quite a fitness journey.

I posted a while back that I was starting the Strong Program again. Went too heavy and injured my lower back(my fault). Derailed. Gave up bells for a while.

A couple of months ago I started the Giant 3.0 with double 32s. I started mixing in 36s on some training days and went too much too fast. This time it was wrist pain.

Emailed Geoff Neupert with a new plan. Start Pase One of the Strong Program again. No short rest periods, no density type training, just straight strength training.

2 weeks in and it's going well. The crazy thing has been that it's not the pressing strength that suffered from the layoff of kettlebell training but the cleans! They're getting stronger.

Good music and a "simple" program of clean and presses is a great way to start any day!

It's great getting old isn't it? Moments of greatness followed by months of injury. Welcome back. Maybe it's time to use 28's. Just like Aaron Rodgers this fall, nothing is going to hold you back from your Hall of Fame kettlebell career.

I posted a while back that I was starting the Strong Program again. Went too heavy and injured my lower back(my fault). Derailed. Gave up bells for a while.

A couple of months ago I started the Giant 3.0 with double 32s. I started mixing in 36s on some training days and went too much too fast. This time it was wrist pain.

Emailed Geoff Neupert with a new plan. Start Pase One of the Strong Program again. No short rest periods, no density type training, just straight strength training.

2 weeks in and it's going well. The crazy thing has been that it's not the pressing strength that suffered from the layoff of kettlebell training but the cleans! They're getting stronger.

Good music and a "simple" program of clean and presses is a great way to start any day!
Damn dude, kicking it off with dbl. 32's and a dash of 36's after a layoff ?

Love Strong, great program. Had great success with it.

I think it would work for DKBFSQ as well

Love Strong, great program. Had great success with it.

I think it would work for DKBFSQ as well
Yes, I believe some have done that. I know Geoff told me a while back that someone did it with double 88s for the double snatch! Some have used push presses and jerks too. I've done it with the two dumbbell clean and press and it worked like a charm.

I'm back to "enjoying" my kettlebell training again. Had a good workout this a.m. and am having some coffee before I go to work.

Strength and strength endurance both seem to be going in the right direction. When I started 5 weeks ago I took a full 3 minutes between sets on heavy days. Today I noticed I felt somewhat ready to go after a minute and like 45 seconds but I forced myself to wait a bit so my cleans were strong. No rushing prematurely at my age now!

It's a great program structure that has always delivered for me. I think its safe to say I've always been a fan of Geoff's programming having tried most of them, but "Strong" is in my opinion his best.

Last edited:
It's a great program structure that has always delivered for me. I think its safe to say ive always been a fan of Geoff's programming having tried most of them, but "Strong" is in my opinion his best.
I love Strong. Whenever I've run it, I've always had really good results. It is incredibly minimalistic, but also incredibly effective, and if someone is willing to devote 6 months single-mindedly they will first get stronger, then start building some fantastic muscle size and work capacity.

I'm back to "enjoying" my kettlebell training again. Had a good workout this a.m. and am having some coffee before I go to work.

Strength and strength endurance both seem to be going in the right direction. When I started 5 weeks ago I took a full 3 minutes between sets on heavy days. Today I noticed I felt somewhat ready to go after a minute and like 45 seconds but I forced myself to wait a bit so my cleans were strong. No rushing prematurely at my age now!

It's a great program structure that has always delivered for me. I think its safe to say ive always been a fan of Geoff's programming having tried most of them, but "Strong" is in my opinion his best.
Great stuff as usual John!. Strong has been my best progress as well. Im about to restart Maximorum again, and it was tough not to redo Strong, but I’d like to practice some snatching so will give Max a go.

Strength is slowly coming back. Had a good heavy session today. I actually felt ready to go after 90 seconds after the first two rounds. Not pushing density yet, so I held out another minute. Very pleased as I initially thought my getting older may hinder progress with the program. Time to practice what I preach and "trust the process".

Back
Top Bottom