all posts post new thread

Old Forum Balancing Free Weights VS Kettlebells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BobSt

First Post
I am a 72 year old male, been "Pumping iron" for 57 years.  Currently do a maintenance program with moderate/Light weights. (40# Military Press, 80# squat, 60 # Bench press)

I am just discovering kettlebells.  I am wondering about the balance between Free weights and kettlebells.  My original intention was to supplement my free weights with an occasional kettle bell workout.  I don't believe that they are mutually exclusive, but I wonder about the balance?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob Sterling

Bob,

Purchase, "Kettlebell, Simple & Sinister" and get started.  You'll need only one or two kettlebells, and only two main exercises.  It will work fine with your maintenance program.

That said, I would not recommend that you learn how to do kettlebell swings from a book, or from youtube for that matter.  Please find a qualified instructor, such as a local SFG.  At the very least, post video of your technique to this forum.  You'll get plenty of quality advice here.

Kettlebells are free weights, though I knew what you meant.

Bob, I cannot overstate how important the suggestion by Al Ciampa  can be to your success.  Finding a qualified instructor is a major plus.  I am  also 72 and started KB training about a year ago.  Like yourself, I had a prior extended history with weight lifting.   More recently I have incorporated a lot of body weight work which I find very useful.  Finding Strong First has opened my eyes wider in regards to continued efforts to develop strength.  I have found no conflict incorporating KB's with free weights and body weight training....I would say that they compliment each other very well.  Don't get too caught up in the ideas about loss of strength and muscle mass as you age.  I suspect you may be surprised how much strength you can develop.

What are the two main exercises that Al Ciampa recommends?  I assume on of them is the swing.

Also, exactly how should I combine the two?  Should I do a separate kettlebell routine on one day, and a weight routine the next workout?  Or should I so the kettlebells with my free weights?

I have heard of a "Kettlebell sandwich", that is doing kettlebell swings in between sets of free weight exercises.  (My dumbbells have a removable sleeve, so I can create a swingbar.  I got this from Bob Hoffman, which shows how far I go back.)

I am so glad I am welcome at this forum.  I was afraid that it would only be for people with 18" biceps.  Bob Hoffman used to say "There aren't any losers in the iron game,  only winners."  This has been true for me.  I can honestly say that strength training has changed my life.

Bob Sterling

Bob,

The two exercises, and the program that combines them, are in Simple and Sinister.  They are the swing and Turkish Getup.  The exercises are explained in the book, but like Al said, it is worth getting at instructor to get you dialed in.  The program seems simple enough, but it works.  To be honest, you wouldn't need to do any other strength training.  If anything, you might add some mobility work.

Bob,

What Jeffrey said... and welcome to the community!  You will likely add to this forum with your aged-wisdom.

I believe that Simple and Sinister states that if you are doing another program (lets say 3 times per week) then you could do the S&S workout 2 days per week.  Otherwise, it is generally done roughly 5 days per week.  The S&S workout  takes roughly 30 -40 min and should not leave you "toasted. As an aside, one of my biggest regrets was disposing of my old Strength and Health magazines from the late 1950's and early 1960's.  How fondly I recall Bob Hoffman, Tommy Kono, Ike Berger, Norbert Shemansky , John Grimick and many others.   I was doing some competitive Olympic lifting at that time...when the press was still a part of the competition.

Bob,

There are infinite ways to integrate the two depending on your goals.
Kettlebells are just another form of resistance, just like bodyweight, barbells, and dumbbells.

For now, I recommend as above that you keep your kettlebell training and barbell training separate in one way or another and treat it as a skill practice instead of a workout.

Examples:
Kettlebell on different days or separate workouts from your Barbell training,

Kettlebell training as distinct parts of the workout (Kbs to warm-up, Barbell training as the meat of your strength training, Kettlebells as conditioning. )

later one when you understand the similarities, differences and overlap between  Kettlebell & Barbell you can begin to combine them and it will feel intuitive to do so.

Bob Sterling,

I agree with JSStevens. Kettlebells are just another form of resistance, but start PRACTICING the movements.

Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom