all posts post new thread

Barbell Banded Clean Pulls as a Power Developer

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
"Jump down fast" sounds so easy, but is so hard! I am getting better at it. Here is a snatch and a clean from one of my sessions last week.

I think there are a lot of reasons this has been one of my biggest struggles in the year and a half that I've been training Olympic lifts:
  • Taking this up at +50 years of age... Speed is scarce
  • The focus on TENSION from kettlebell training and powerlifting-style barbell strength training - had to let it go
  • Just the simple action of pulling hard and quickly into a squat using the hip flexors is a new movement that I've really never done. All other squats are relatively slow and controlled.
  • Quickly putting your body between a heavy weight and the ground is just against all self-preservation instincts
I think the second one has been the hardest. I really had to learn to let a lot of tension go to get faster and move faster. But strength is still required, so you can't let all of the tension go. It's a very intricate expression of tension and relaxation.

That last one seems like it might be compounded by using the bands.
and when you reach your limit for the day

I think you need to pull then jump under rather than jumping under a static bar.
Yeah... I don't know what to say other than it just doesn't happen. That is, me pulling under a bar of a certain height (about what you see in the videos that are essentially power cleans). It's just a miss, when I try. But I am incrementally getting better at it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom