all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell and Kettlebell program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gustnord

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi.

A few years ago I started practising Girevoy sport. It led me to Pavels books which led me to months and months of S&S training. After reaching Simple (Unconfirmed and most likely in questionable form), I purchased a barbell to learn Olympic weightlifting and added heavy DL's/BS to my routine. The Olympic lifts didn't last and I quickly returned to kettlebells.

I've learned a lot and have really come to love the art of trying to perfect the basics of kettlebells and heavy lifts.

Today, I'm trying to create a relatively simple but still progressive and challenging weekly routine/program. I do not have any specific goals other than longevity but am open to any type of hypertrophy or strength focus.

My ideal scenario:
– Mobility
– Heavy Deadlifts or Back squats
– Kettlebell basic exercises
– 1 day work out, 1 day rest. Repeat

Based on this, I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any form of recommendation for me.

Hi.

A few years ago I started practising Girevoy sport. It led me to Pavels books which led me to months and months of S&S training. After reaching Simple (Unconfirmed and most likely in questionable form), I purchased a barbell to learn Olympic weightlifting and added heavy DL's/BS to my routine. The Olympic lifts didn't last and I quickly returned to kettlebells.

I've learned a lot and have really come to love the art of trying to perfect the basics of kettlebells and heavy lifts.

Today, I'm trying to create a relatively simple but still progressive and challenging weekly routine/program. I do not have any specific goals other than longevity but am open to any type of hypertrophy or strength focus.

My ideal scenario:
– Mobility

Based on this, I wanted to reach out to see if anyone has any form of recommendation for me.
This plan by Pavel will cover deadlifts, swings and goblet squats.

You might pair it with Soju and Tuba for your upper body or just some TGUs. Keep your 9090 and straddle QL stretches. Add some Original Strength resets or some Flexible Steel stuff, if you want.

An easy mental mapping is:

squat
hinge
push
pull

if you want to get fancier:

squat
hinge
horizontal push
vertical push
horizontal pull
vertical pull

Then you map barbell, KB or bodyweight exercises to the pattern.

Organize according to how much volume you can tolerate / want:

Easy:
1 from squat/hinge
push (alternate horizontal / vertical)
pull (alternate horizontal / vertical)

3 exercises per session, set up in A/B fashion on alternate day to pick the opposite movement, e.g. if I squat on A, I'll DL on B.

Medium (more volume)
squat
hinge

etc.

When I'm in a high volume phase, I usually max out at about 5 exercises per session (not counting abs).

Currently doing Simple Strength for Difficult Times from on here as really enjoyed it and got good results first time round with all KBs.

Doing it now with medium weight front BB squat, double KB press and weighted pull-up. Could easily swap front for back squat. Or come up with an equivalent deadlift and then 2 KB press / pull exercises. Wendler's Krypteia program is something similar, a single heavy lift with some extra assistance that can be KBs.

You might pair it with Soju and Tuba for your upper body or just some TGUs. Keep your 9090 and straddle QL stretches. Add some Original Strength resets or some Flexible Steel stuff, if you want.
This is very helpful, thank you for the help!

An easy mental mapping is:

squat
hinge
push
pull

if you want to get fancier:

squat
hinge
horizontal push
vertical push
horizontal pull
vertical pull

Then you map barbell, KB or bodyweight exercises to the pattern.

Organize according to how much volume you can tolerate / want:

Easy:
1 from squat/hinge

3 exercises per session, set up in A/B fashion on alternate day to pick the opposite movement, e.g. if I squat on A, I'll DL on B.

Medium (more volume)
squat
hinge

etc.

When I'm in a high volume phase, I usually max out at about 5 exercises per session (not counting abs).
Very very helpful. Love the simplicity and structure. Thank you!

Currently doing Simple Strength for Difficult Times from on here as really enjoyed it and got good results first time round with all KBs.

Doing it now with medium weight front BB squat, double KB press and weighted pull-up. Could easily swap front for back squat. Or come up with an equivalent deadlift and then 2 KB press / pull exercises. Wendler's Krypteia program is something similar, a single heavy lift with some extra assistance that can be KBs.
I will check it out, thank you!

The original version of Jim Wendler’s 5-3-1 has a nice submaximal progression of basic barbell exercises that fits well into a lot of programs. Using kettlebells for the supplemental and accessory work is a great fit. This is just my opinion and I’m not anyone special, just a guy who likes to train.

Hi.

My ideal scenario:
– Mobility

Tactical Barbell programming could help with this. Work your basic KB exercises that you want to master, then use TB to program squats/deadlifts at the end of it. I did a similar practice in the past - long cycle clean and jerk practice, then TB for weighted pull-ups and double KB front squats. It was working very well for me until by necessity I had to abandon the program.

Based on all the above, I’ve compiled a setup that I think suits me well. And that’s what I think it’s all about — a setup that one enjoys, can feel motivated and challenged by for a long period of time.

In general, there is two training sessions which I aim to do two days in a row followed by a resting day. As I train outdoors and live in Sweden, I am very weather dependent. Therefore my fallback is a S&S which will be performed indoors.

I also do a 60 - 90 min run every Sunday.

So, I would love all your feedback and opinions for improvements. Again, my goal is longevity and a healthy combination of strength and hypertrophy. Everything is appreciated!

Session A (BS)
Mobility 5 min
A) Joint warmup
B) Prying Goblet Squat
C) Halo

Main 40 min
A) KB Snatch (EMOM 10 min)
B1) BB Back squat buildup
B2) BB Back squat
C) Pushup to KB C&J (AMRAP 10 min)

Stretch 5 min
A) Personal yoga rutine
B) QL Straddle

Session B (DL)
Mobility 5 min
A) Joint warmup
B) Prying Goblet Squat
C) Halo

Main 40 min
A) KB 1h-swings (EMOM 10 min)
B1) BB Deadlift buildup
B2) BB Deadlift
C) Pullup to KB Row (AMRAP 10 min)

Stretch 5 min
A) Personal yoga rutine
B) QL Straddle

Session C
60 - 90 min Zone 2 running

Session D
Simple & Sinister

88EF7167-C190-4F69-A919-EBFD7FC791B0.jpeg

Currently run
Kettlebell Strong (clean and press program... i've changed it to clean and thruster to see how it goes) 2 days per week - Sa, Tu
Deadlifts (Use Neupert's Barbell Addon and do the as many sets in 15min workout as you can) 2 days per week - Su, Th

I run it like that because my work is very draining and I got nothing much to do on weekends. I don't really feel like I am missing anything.

Could be run every other day quite easily. Could easily swap in squats or alternate sq and deadlifts.

That program did more for my deadlifts than anything else i have run in the past.

Currently run
Kettlebell Strong (clean and press program... i've changed it to clean and thruster to see how it goes) 2 days per week - Sa, Tu
Deadlifts (Use Neupert's Barbell Addon and do the as many sets in 15min workout as you can) 2 days per week - Su, Th

I run it like that because my work is very draining and I got nothing much to do on weekends. I don't really feel like I am missing anything.

Could be run every other day quite easily. Could easily swap in squats or alternate sq and deadlifts.
Thanks for mentioning this because it's something I've thought about for a little while. I'm finishing phase 1 of strong this week and considering doing Neupert's barbell add on once a week for bench and deadlifts and then the strong clean and press twice a week. I still haven't decided because I can see the clean and press kicking my butt now, so I'm sure it'll get more difficult as volume progresses.

Yes, I agree that this is too lacking in upper body pushing. Add in dips, benching or push-ups or a combination of 3 of the 3.

If I'm not focusing on one lift, my basic recipe is pull, push, squat. The pull could be upper or lower body (pull ups vs DL), the push could be any kind of press (KB press, bench, push up), and the squat (double KB FS, barbell FS or BS though I typically prefer FS). I tend to focus on one or maybe two of these movements at a time, meaning the majority of the monthly volume is spent there, and the leftover lift(s) go into "maintenance" mode: minimal volume at moderately heavy (75-80% 1RM) load.

I didn't read every post, but I would recommend you not lift "heavy" every week. I'm not sure how you define "heavy" but I am assuming you mean a dedicated heavy session every week. I have had more success with my own training and my students with every session having a very small percentage of heavy reps (ala Plan Strong) versus the session being centered around warming up to a heavy load (90%+ 1RM) and all your reps are up there. Plan Strong essentially spreads the heavy work out over every week in smaller doses, and this works like a charm for me.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom