all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell Clean and Jerk - looking for vertical

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Anna C

Level 9 Valued Member
Team Leader Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Sinister
I have been struggling with the barbell jerk.

My coach tells me what to do, but I can't seem to do it. (We do remote coaching, so I don't get the benefit of cues during my sessions).

This session from yesterday went up to 61 kg, and I made all the lifts, but you can see that the bar moves forward of center in some of them, especially the heavier ones. Coach says if I can correct this tendency, and make the bar go straight down, and straight up, I can C&J 70 kg, easy. I agree.

Anyone have good tips for keeping the weight from coming forward in the jerk?

Another round from yesterday.

I did a little better by using a few cues from my coach -- feet turned out a little more, knees pushed out, hips back more (use glutes on the dip/drive), and shorter dip.

But still not where I need to be. Bar is still moving forward, and I need it to be vertical.

Looking for some magic if anyone has any.

Looking for some magic if anyone has any.

One thing I notice on your jerks is that your arms aren't behind your ears as much as some jerkers, including me.

Have you tried playing with some behind the neck (probably snatch grip to start) push presses?

This helped me to 'catch with my back', which both helped forward tendencies and provided me with a more stable base at higher weights.

One thing I notice on your jerks is that your arms aren't behind your ears as much as some jerkers, including me.

Have you tried playing with some behind the neck (probably snatch grip to start) push presses?

This helped me to 'catch with my back', which both helped forward tendencies and provided me with a more stable base at higher weights.

Yes, agree... I do wish my natural overhead position was farther back. Not sure why it's not. It has seemed to improve here lately with better mobility, so maybe that will continue to improve.

The behind the neck push presses definitely help - good idea! I do those sometimes... should probably do all the time when warming up for jerks.

Coach said today try a wider stance, so I'll see if that helps next time. Also "The dip can be deeper and knees will stay behind toes, if you hinge a bit, sit down and back and stay on the heels.... Whatever improves verticality and power output."

So, I will report back when I find the magic formula!

Worth noting, I tend to have the same issue with kettlebell jerks, but it just doesn't matter as much because the weight is relatively much lighter, even with moderate to heavy kettlebells for jerks. For me, a single 24 kg or double 20s would be moderately heavy, and I can easily barbell jerk up to 40 kg without this "moving forward" problem. It's the heavier weight that makes it so challenging.

Worth noting, I tend to have the same issue with kettlebell jerks, but it just doesn't matter as much because the weight is relatively much lighter, even with moderate to heavy kettlebells for jerks. For me, a single 24 kg or double 20s would be moderately heavy, and I can easily barbell jerk up to 40 kg without this "moving forward" problem. It's the heavier weight that makes it so challenging.

Yeah, it's also a center of mass issue relative to bodyweight.

(also why bar path is so critical on OHP that approaches bodyweight)

One of the reasons I'm always striving to add mass to my butt and legs isn't just for strength/power, but to lower my center of gravity.

One of the reasons I'm always striving to add mass to my butt and legs isn't just for strength/power, but to lower my center of gravity.
Well I would think I'd be OK then... ROFL. I wouldn't mind losing a bit of mass on the lower body, and I'll deal with the consequences!

Hard to tell what your feet are doing, but make sure the back foot land first.
Thanks, yes, I do think of that but haven't put too much focus on it yet... Trying to get fast feet! But good reminder.

I have been struggling with the barbell jerk.

My coach tells me what to do, but I can't seem to do it. (We do remote coaching, so I don't get the benefit of cues during my sessions).

This session from yesterday went up to 61 kg, and I made all the lifts, but you can see that the bar moves forward of center in some of them, especially the heavier ones. Coach says if I can correct this tendency, and make the bar go straight down, and straight up, I can C&J 70 kg, easy. I agree.

Anyone have good tips for keeping the weight from coming forward in the jerk?

Some good tips here. Your specific situation addressed at 3:04. You will need a power rack or similar .

Some good tips here. Your specific situation addressed at 3:04. You will need a power rack or similar .

Some good ideas in that video for people training at home alone like me.

For this issue, good idea for press, but seems risky with jerks... especially the heavier ones, which is where I tend to go forward. But thank you for the input!

Coach had me do some jerk dips yesterday (videos 4,5,6), stance a little wider, toes turned out more, using the hips/glutes a little more. These went OK... maybe some progress.

Anna,

Have you tried pausing in the catch position of the jerk? So instead of recovering to stand right away, stay in the split to solidify the overhead position. By solidifying the overhead position of your catch, you’ll be more confident in your jerk which may assist with your bar path.
Admittedly, my split jerk needs a lot of work as I really only practice squat or power jerks.

Anna,

Have you tried pausing in the catch position of the jerk? So instead of recovering to stand right away, stay in the split to solidify the overhead position. By solidifying the overhead position of your catch, you’ll be more confident in your jerk which may assist with your bar path.
Admittedly, my split jerk needs a lot of work as I really only practice squat or power jerks.

I like that idea, finding that most solid position is motivation to launch the bar THERE. Part of developing confidence that it's OK to really get directly under that heavy bar. (Subconsciously, I think a little out in front probably feels "safer" and maybe that's part of my tendency to go there).

Thanks, Owen!

Anna,

I got into such a habit for holding my jerks for lengthy period of time in training that the judges got a little annoyed at me for slowing the meet down because I'd wait until they said 'down!'.

I got into such a habit for holding my jerks for lengthy period of time in training that the judges got a little annoyed at me for slowing the meet down because I'd wait until they said 'down!'.
Even after the buzzer?! Haha, that’s great! Leave no doubts.

I like that idea, finding that most solid position is motivation to launch the bar THERE. Part of developing confidence that it's OK to really get directly under that heavy bar. (Subconsciously, I think a little out in front probably feels "safer" and maybe that's part of my tendency to go there).

Thanks, Owen!
My pleasure. Let us know how it goes!

Coach gave me a good drill that seemed to help. These are my words, not his, but describing it helps me get it in my head (a major reason why I spend so much time on this forum!) so I'll try to do that. The drill is to stand with back to a wall and feel the contact of upper back and butt to the wall. Dip and feel if and where the butt loses contact with the wall. Figure out what's making that happen. Then figure out how to make that not happen. Hips have to flex also to keep contact. Practice that dip. Also, during jerk, visualize a rod running through you vertically and you can't move forward or back when you dip and drive.

After practicing this, I worked up to and hit a single at 63 kg yesterday, with a good bar path. This matches my previous meet PR.

I tried twice at 67 and missed, but I think I am strong enough for it. I just have to get the feel of that dip and drive with heavier weight.

Meet coming up next week! I'll see if I can hit better than 63 kg.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom