all posts post new thread

Old Forum barbell overhead press. PTTP vs GTG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Toby

Level 5 Valued Member
Dear chief and co,

I'm trying to increase my barbell overhead press with a very limited amount of time to train every day.

I am currently doing set of 5, 3, 2 , 5mins break, with the press 5 days a week as per PTTP and Zercher Squat with the same scheme when I have time.

Is 50 reps per week enough to improve the press?

My other option is to GTG the press

Toby, either option is good.

I won't worry too much about the reps but rather the quality of the reps

Toby, GTG is the best if it is practical.

50 weekly reps is a good start but way too low for most people to make continued progress on the overhead press.

Thanks, chief!
GTG might even fit my schedule better.
Started doing a triple whenever I can. Try to do at least 10 sets a day.
Will report back.
Cheers,
Toby

Done 6 or 7 days,  I have done around 10 exercise breaks,  (1 hang clean and) strict press 35KG x 3 follow by 2-3 x BW chin up/pull up variations ,  each day. Using only 35 cos I haven't done it for a long time.  My best was 42.5 or 45 for a triple.

I'm really busy and stressed at the moment (also heatwave in Melbourne, Australia).

It makes me feel better to lift something overhead.  And my grove is getting better too (now my grip is just outside shoulders). Shoulders seems a bit more toned (sorry, comrades) too.

Will do one more day before I add weight or rep.

After around 10 days of triples with 35KG, I increased the weight to 37.5, still triples superset with BW pull/chin up.

Can't do it some days cos' I was wearing my 5mths old with a baby carrier. Some days I can only do 3 sets due to time constraint.All in all, I feel much stronger with my press!

Will keep at it! :)

Will add more

Toby, the simplest way to get stronger is to do more low rep non-exhaustive sets per week—while still recovering from them.

Thanks, chief!

I could probably do 5 but I kept it at 3.

It is amazing how it all add up, like the tips jars in restaurants.

I will add more weight to the bar when it gets too light.

Slow and steady. To give you all more information, this is the portion of my training log.

01/02/2014 SAT

Barbell Overhead Press 35 x 3 x 10 thru the day

02/02/2014 SUN

Barbell Overhead Press 35KG x 3 x 10 thru the day

03/02/2014 MON

Barbell Overhead Press

35KG x 3 x 8 thru the day

too busy

04/02/2014 TUE

Barbell Overhead Press

35 x 3 x 5 thru the day

long day at school.

Some day between 04/02/2014 to 09/02/2014

Barbell Overhead Press 35 x 3 & "normal" Pull Up BW x2

11 sets thru the day

10/02/2014 MON

11 sets thru the day

11/02/2014 TUE

4 sets thru the day

Barbell Overhead Press 37.5 x 3 & "normal" Pull Up BW x2

3 sets thru the day

(7sets in total)

Few days off, looking after my little boy and had a tooth extracted.

16/02/2014 SUN

3 sets thru the day

18/02/2014 TUE

3 sets thru the day

19/02/2014 WED

13 sets thru the day

21/02/2014 FRI

9 sets thru the day

Should have done some squat when my wife took the boy to playgroup, oh well...

Dear chief and co,

Two days I go I started doing sets of 3 with 42.5KG but lower the rep to sets of 2 now because the 3rd rep is getting hard sometimes.Will go back to sets of 3 with 42.5KG once sets of 2 getting too easy again.

The other option is doing sets of 4 with 40KG but I feel that extra 2.5KG help me to press in a better groove.

This is my weekly total:

03/02/2014 to 09/02/2014 35.0 KG x 3 reps x 24 sets (72 total reps)

10/02/2014 to 16/02/2014 35.0 KG x 3 reps x 15 sets
____________________ and 35.0 KG x 3 reps x 6 sets (63 total reps)

17/02/2014 to 23/02/2014 37.5 KG x 3 reps x 37 sets (111 total reps)

24/02/2014 to 02/03/2014 37.5 KG x 3 reps x 30 sets
_____________________and 40.0 KG x 3 reps x 6 sets (108 total reps)

03/03/2014 to 09/03/2014 40.0 KG x 3 reps x 38 sets (114 total reps)

Even though I don't have much time to train right now, I can still fit in sets of triple every now and then. Normally I would start doing it right after I get out of bed but after reading Dr McGill's article, I stopped. Especially the bar is now getting heavier to clean.

Thank you, chief!

Will re-read the chapter and apply it to the GTG scheme.

Hopefully when I finish my degree and my son turns one in 7 months time I will be strong enough and have time to follow one of the schemes there as listed on PTP Pro!

Hi Pavel,

I read the MP part in PTTP Pro. I think I don't really understand the principles of the soviet weightlifting for the Press. It seems like doing a lot of volume, very low reps, non-exhaustive sets? It seems like ladders would fit the bill then, no?

So I have re-read part II of the Press chapter.
Now this might make  GTGing the Overhead Press/classic press a bit complicated.

load and rep
I can possibly press 45KG or 47.5KG for 1 rep now. (haven't tested) So my 80-90% would be 37.5-42.5KG and I have been doing triples with them in the GTG manner.

Volume:
I'm not too sure if I can apply what Vorobyev and Roman did as they they for an individual workout and they might be too advanced.
Now I have a better idea of  how I can apply them than I last read the book. Still, not too sure if it can be applied to a GTG scheme,  but what I think I might need to do:

1) mixing  42.5 x 2  and 40x3, i.e., do 42.5x2 sometimes and triples with lighter weight sometimes through the day. Maybe have some days doing 42.5x2  and some days doing the triples.
2) GTGing an assistance exercise (classic press variation)  sometimes or having a mini workout of said assistance exercise
3) work on zercher squat again, my lower back/core/base might not be strong enough for the press.

I'm doing sets of double thru the day with the heavier weight  and sets of four thru the day with lighter weight on different days.

Am I "building a Brooklyn Bridge" if I do sets of easy 1-2-3 ladder on my "volume day"?

Sorry, chief.

At the moment, I'm alternating heavier load for doubles and lighter load for triples now on different days, still greasing the groove with 2/3 of the number of reps I can do for given load.

My question is If I should do lots of 1-2-3 ladder with a comfortable load instead of triples through the day ? Am I messing with the proven GTG protocol?

Thank you, chief!
My training will be something like this:

doubles day: GTG 42.5KG x2 thru the day
ladders day: 1-2-3 ladders thru the day

Alternated doubles day and ladder day, take exercise breaks when I can.
Bonus workouts (if I can have some "me time" on the weekend): easy workout with Swing, Get Up and some TRX drills.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom