all posts post new thread

Old Forum Barbell program, little help.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SantaClause

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello, I’m interested in your opinions about the routine below. I’ve had some program hopping before but would really like to stick with one for a long time. I think that Pavel’s program from Bench press interviews by Tim Ferris fits well for my goals.

If you aren’t familiar with it, it goes like this: Start your program with your 10rm, do 5-3-2 with 3-5 min rest. After your heavy bench, decrease the weight by 20% and start doing close grip benches with one minute rest periods and stop just before your form breaks. Add 10lb every workout and after you reach your 5rm, in your next session drop the first set of five reps and just do the 3,2 reps and next time drop the triple and do two reps. Next time test your max and begin the cycle over.

When you drop the five rep set, you change the close grip benches to pause or board presses for 3x3.

I’ve time to go to gym twice a week so would this work:

Warm up is always the same as in simple and sinister as this has kept my back feeling good again (too much sitting in work).

Monday: Bench 5-3-2 and back of sets and squat the same way but in the back of sets use front squat.

Thursday: Bench same way and sumo deadlift (stronger than my conventional) 5-3-2 and use conventional in the backoffs.

So would this be fine in the squat and deadlift or should I preferably use different (easier) variations for these? Is this too much at one training session? And how should one stretch after performing the powerlifts? Is flexible steel a good source for that?

My goal is to improve powerlifts and maybe start competing later this year or early next. My current pr’s are easy 165kg*2 deadlift, 105kg bench and 110kg squat. I’ve trained with kettlebells last couple of months so but I always love barbell training.

If unclear feel free to ask

Thank you,

sincerely

Niko

Thank you for the article. As for the program application is it out of my league. It would be good to hear Pavel chime in.

Niko, I do not know if this helps you as it doesn't answer your question but an interesting read about training twice a week (and you bench twice to):

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/2_times_a_week_for_twice_the_gains&cr=

Perhaps you could do the bench program you specified and use the deadlift and squat from the Dan John/Pavel program. Just a thought :)

Thanks Rickard for the great article, I love Dan Johns stuff.

I  remember that in last summer or so I saw somebody asking about this program and using it for deadlifts and squats. Pavel responded that it can be used in different days and he mentioned something about the assistance lifts also. I can't find the thread now.

Still wondering if one could squeeze those days in two workouts and if so which variations should be used.

I started doing this yesterday, just want to see how it goes and if my recovery keeps up. Deadlift backoff sets are done conventional with double overhand grip.

And if somebody has some ideas how to implement stretching after workouts, please share with me :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom