all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell suitability for deadlifting

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Phil12

Level 8 Valued Member
Hi guys and gals,

I've been using a Rogue Bar 2.0 for all my lifts for the past few years. I bought it thinking I might learn to do olympic lifts, power cleans, and such, but it turns out I mostly just use the bar for deadlifting and occasional overhead press.

For reference, I DLed 455 earlier this year and would like to start training with an eye to getting at or above 500. This is the only decent bar I've used (previous was a cheap-o CAP), so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was considering making an order from Rogue and wondering if I should spring for a powerlifting-specific bar since I'm going to be biting the bullet on freight shipping for this order anyway.

@Antti

I wouldn't worry about the bar. Maybe if you were considering competing in powerlifting at a high level, where it could be justified so that you'd be very familiar and comfortable with the specific bar used in your federation.

Have fun getting above 500!

I bought a Texas Power Bar that I am very happy with. Buddy Capps also makes a Texas Deadlift Bar that is supposed to be very good.

Hi guys and gals,

I've been using a Rogue Bar 2.0 for all my lifts for the past few years. I bought it thinking I might learn to do olympic lifts, power cleans, and such, but it turns out I mostly just use the bar for deadlifting and occasional overhead press.

For reference, I DLed 455 earlier this year and would like to start training with an eye to getting at or above 500. This is the only decent bar I've used (previous was a cheap-o CAP), so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was considering making an order from Rogue and wondering if I should spring for a powerlifting-specific bar since I'm going to be biting the bullet on freight shipping for this order anyway.

@Antti

Phil it will depend on if you want a new bar specifically for DL, or if you'll be doing multiple types of lifts with it. If you buy a true power bar specifically for DL you will probably find it slightly harder than it currently is, because a power bar is more stiff (has less flex/whip) compared to your current Rogue bar. On the flip side, a stiff bar is generally desirable for SQ and BP. The only benefit a power bar (such as the Rogue Ohio Power Bar) might give you on DL is a knurl with more bite, so it is less likely to slip out of your hands. If you are wanting a bar specifically for DL, then consider a DL bar (Rogue makes one, along with several other companies) and use your Rogue Bar 2.0 for SQ, BP, MP, etc.

Thanks @Tony Gracia, that's the kind of breakdown I was looking for. I don't anticipate much SQ or BP for me, and I also think I'm probably not at the point where I need a deadlift bar, so it sounds like sticking with the bar I have is probably the way to go. I actually find the knurling on the rogue bar 2.0 to be very sharp, but again have little to compare it to.

@Steve Freides I'm curious if you have any thoughts to add on this topic.

I'd stick with your Rogue bar. Some federations allow a specialty DL bar, but "specialty" means it's a tiny bit narrower and thus easier to hold onto, has really deep knurling and thus easier to hold onto, and bends more than a standard bar, which also makes it easier to pull a heavy weight off the ground. I own one, and when I'm training for a meet in a fed that uses a DL specialty bar, I'll train with it, but otherwise the bar you have makes the lift as hard as it's rightly supposed to be in the first place.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom