all posts post new thread

Old Forum Barbell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello everyone,

2 months ago, I reached the simple goals in S&S and I've been just resting until now doing a bit of handstand pushups and chinups, just to get into the groove again.

I'm moving to a new country in April for 2 years and I wanted to start barbell training.

My personnal best in the DL was 140kg and 90kg in the BP at 70kg BW but I haven't deadlifted or BPed since 2013. I haven't back squatted for a year and a half but I never went over 80kg or so as I was doing high rep squats.

Tbh, I think I should consider myself today almost a beginner in BB training so I was hesitating between 2 programs, PTTP (DL and BP) or Faleev's 80/20 routine (http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/faleevs-8020-routine/).

What do you guys think?

Thank you Pavel sir. It took me a whole year of 4-5 workouts a week.

As for my goals, tbh I'm not rly sure, maybe being an all around "athlete".

I have no interest in competing, maybe reach a 2 or 2.5 times BW DL.

I'm not sure if adding or not adding the squat is really beneficial and/or useful.

Pats,  Since you are already use to the program minimum idea, why not just stick with PTTP and incorporate a couple S&S workouts a week as written in the S&S.  In a year report back your progress and make the (program attention deficit) people on this forrum, drool with envy!  :]

Alan Stonehouse, thank you for your reply but like I said, I'm moving for 2 years and won't have access to kettlebells during that time.

PTTP and some dumbell getups.  The way I look at training is sticking to the program that works until you reach your goals.  2years?  tripleBW deadlift,  Double BW Bench.  Getups even with dumbell will help keep your shoulders healthy.  Round it out with some goblet squats(dumbell) and pullups.  sounds like an awsome strong first strategy.

Al

Allan Stonehouse, while I LOVED S&S, I didn't like the feeling of DB GU and Swings. It just didn't feel the same and was very awkward.

Pavel, if I don't have access to KB, just plain PTTP would suffice? or should I add Pullups and Goblet Squats like Allan Stonehouse suggested?

Pats the problem is that you didn't say or do not know what you want. Do you want to do the bare minimum like with DL and BP or have a more versatile training with squats, pulls, hinges, pushes snd loaded carries as Dan John recommends. He has on his blog some strength standards.  If you google for sleepless in seattle you will find them. These standards are all reachable with some training and would ensure being a more well rounded lifter. But again what do you actually want? How much time per week do you want to invest etc.

Leon Kaz, yeah I know I didn't mention what I want exactly.

After S&S, I started loving minimum programs, so I guess I should stick with PTTP for now (DL and BP) and focus on these 2 exercises.

I'm gonna add a few DB GU as a warmup like mentionned earlier.

Thank you guys!

follow on question for Pavel, at what point would you recomment the split/mix of 2x PTTP and 2xS&S in a week makes sense? after you've reached the simple goals, or also before?

My Goals are the same fuzzy concept of being more athletic

Pullups make a great addition to PTTP.  I used to do them in this order: press, pullup, deadlift - all sets of each exercise before moving to the next exercise.  I could also see supersetting the presses and pullups before moving on to deadlifts.

Goblet squats are a great movement.  My own usual choice is to squat light and deadlift heavy but no reason other than it's what I prefer to do and seems to work well for me.  The goblet squat can be your warmup for the other movements.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom