all posts post new thread

Old Forum Barbell work no power rack

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Siemen

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everyone

I got a barbell now, so now I can train at home. I'm doing Power to the People right now with deadlifts and overhead presses. I would like to do this for six week or when I acchieve that weight or something, still has to be seen.

After that, I Would like to switch to a higher volume plan, like 5/3/1 or 80/20 5x5 powerlifting routine. But I don't have a squat rack, so that' s a problem. Most programs ask for the back squat and it is hard to remplace the power of the back squat. What could be an option for me?

Hello Siemen Raets,

You can't replace the back squat but if I was to work with just a barbell I know for sure where my focus would be for the lower body, aside from the deadlift: cleans and front squats.

Other things worth considering depending on goals would be the snatch, high pulls, jerk, push press, zercher squat.

You could easily assemble a kickass strength and power program from just deadlifts, presses, cleans and front squats.

Good luck.

Siemen, like Stefan said, I'm going to recommend you get really good at cleans. First of all, they are a terrific exercise, second of all they will allow you to front squat. Your front squat weight will always be limited by the amount you can clean, so this is not a replacement for the backsquat. Because of that 5/3/1 is simply not an option, but moderate weight front squats are better than no squats.

I would recommend you have someone help you with your clean technique, it's a tricky lift.

Hi Sieman,
I'm in the same position as you; I've got a barbell but no rack.  Sometimes I think about getting one, but other times I like the minimalism of owning only kettlebells and a barbell on the floor.
As Andy and Stefan said, cleans and front squats are an excellent option, and those are my go to exercises for the most part.
The other exercise I would recommend is zercher squats.  I like doing them for higher reps than the front squat.  With the weight centered right against the sternum you avoid some of the wrist and upper back strain that can come with higher rep front squats (at lest for me).  And dropping into a deep and balanced squat is very natural in the zercher position.  Of course, they work extremely well for low reps, too.

A way to keep back squats in the mix (and therefore 531 if you so choose) without a power rack:

Use two sawhorses and perform "dead squats" by starting the movement in he hole. A back squat with a ompletely different feel...

This cannot end well.    The saw horse option compromises safety.

Between that and these squat stands that cost about $175 including free shipping with Amazon Prime...

http://www.amazon.com/Valor-Fitness-BD-9-Power-Squat/dp/B006CW02ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392832944&sr=8-1&keywords=squat+stand

I've seen kettlebells that cost more than that.  That's money well spent to me.

thank you everyone!

I see I have two options as long as I don't have squat racks. Either clean and front squats or zerchers.

I tried both of them today. I seem to like clean and front squats more than zerchers.

What are the advantages to both? I don't do any sports, so it's just for strength purposes. Wich one suits high volume more?

The saw horses do not ompromise safety! Omar. Further, BBB evensuggests that dead squats can be highly beneficial to new strength gains.  For "just strength purposes" it is the way to go.

I didn't say anything negative about dead squats...

And regarding the saw horses...  if anything watching those barbells either slide off the saw horses and  or bust right threw them will make for some entertaining youtube videos.

Saw horses are rated for 1200lbs usually. But a bolt in each in to stop barbell and your good. Maybd before you assume something built gor construction safety has no utility, you should read a bit. Not everyone wants squat stands around.

Also, of course 5/3/1 will work still. It's based on a squat, just pick anyone and run it. Its a philosophy, adopt it to your needs/wants and get to it. Wendler himself designed a routine based on 5/3/1 and no rack. Funny how that works. Google that for ideas right from the horses mouth.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom