all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Basic kettlebell training advice

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wanderingjames

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi all, this particular concern is directed to the brazilian jiujitsu practitioners out here but others that would want to share any useful information are very much welcomed and will be appreciated.

I'm a 28 year old male training full time in bjj 10-11 times per week. I incorporate gtg methods with bw pullups (max: 10 reps) and bw pistol squats (max: 6 reps).

I plan to add 2 kb training sessions as a substitute for the 2 afternoon bjj classes on tuesdays and thursdays per week to get stronger without gaining weight in preparation for upcoming competitions.

As heard from Pavel on the Tim Ferriss podcast, he recommends 3 kb workouts that in his opinion have the highest yield in terms of overall functional strength carryover I presume. These are the one arm swing, the get up, and the goblet squat.

I would like to ask for a simple training regimen revolving around the 3 kb workouts mentioned above or its similar variations.

Summary of concerns: What set/rep/rest scheme should i follow? How long should I finish the workout? Is there a specific order in doing the workouts in terms of what gets done first or last? Should I drop the pull ups? Can I replace the kb goblet squat for the weighted pistol squats instead? Are 2 kb sessions per week enough to get a desired result within 3.5 months? How do I plan for progressions?

Thank you!

It really does seem like a perfect fit for S&S expecially since the program is prescribed to be done as frequently as every day to as rarely as twice a week (which is your case) depending on the intensity of other sports training.

The "Hardstyle Kettlebell Challenge" is based on the 3 exercises you mentioned (goblet squat, get up, and swing).

It gives you a minimum of daily reps for each movement and lots of "1 kettlebell" workouts based on those achieving the minimum reps in those 3 exercises.

S and S is excellent, although if you are just now starting with kettlebells I would suggest grabbing a 16kg and doing the Program Minimum from Enter the Kettlebell as it is a bit more flexible.. S and S is pretty strict by design.

if you are looking to combine weighted pistols with your routine I would suggest sticking to GTG for those.. lighter goblet squats should help improve mobility and not interfere as long as you don't overdo them

I'm a purple belt and I've been using kettlebells since before I started BJJ. Turkish Get Ups have more relevance to BJJ than any other kettlebell movement, period, by far. Swings and snatches are great for conditioning, too, but I would recommend mastering the TGU per Simple and Sinister.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom